Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Custom Center Dash board

hi all,
    am almost ready to start working on my 1995 GQ to get her both running and livable as a family wagon. as such a few bad ideas have popped into my head for projects, the most recient of which is making a custom dash center. The main reason for this started because I would like to put in an android double din for a reversing camera and really don't like the idea of putting it right down the bottom where the radio currently goes. So after starring at the problem for a while I thought to myself, what if i put the heater controls down the bottom and made a double din just below the air vents. At that point the bad ideas started namely the idea started to run away on me so instead of double din what about the biggest screen i can jam in there (8-10.2" are the current likely suspects) making a whole new fascia out of 40-50 thou aluminum which would allow me to simply screw monstrosities straight onto the new fascia provided i bent it up and had then securely fastened to other structure else where.

any how before i fork out the cash and invest myself prematurely in a project that cant be done I have a question for you all, has any one played around with relocating the HAVAC controls? is there lots of spare cable for dropping it down as much as 30cm or alternatively what are the options for making after market cables that are longer?

thanks in advance
    -Spannerdriver
    Last edited by Spannerdriver; 16th August 2016 at 10:36 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spannerdriver View Post
    hi all,
    am almost ready to start working on my 1995 GQ to get her both running and livable as a family wagon. as such a few bad ideas have popped into my head for projects, the most recient of which is making a custom dash center. The main reason for this started because I would like to put in an android double din for a reversing camera and really don't like the idea of putting it right down the bottom where the radio currently goes. So after starring at the problem for a while I thought to myself, what if i put the heater controls down the bottom and made a double din just below the air vents. At that point the bad ideas started namely the idea started to run away on me so instead of double din what about the biggest screen i can jam in there (8-10.2" are the current likely suspects) making a whole new fascia out of 40-50 thou aluminum which would allow me to simply screw monstrosities straight onto the new fascia provided i bent it up and had then securely fastened to other structure else where.

any how before i fork out the cash and invest myself prematurely in a project that cant be done I have a question for you all, has any one played around with relocating the HAVAC controls? is there lots of spare cable for dropping it down as much as 30cm or alternatively what are the options for making after market cables that are longer?

thanks in advance
    -Spannerdriver
    I know this is a couple years old but I am thinking of doing the same thing!!

How did you go with it??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dads GQ View Post
    I know this is a couple years old but I am thinking of doing the same thing!!

How did you go with it??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Seen a few guys mount on on top of the center of the dash, you could get one looking pretty good by cutting the bottom of a spare dash center and sticking it on top of the current dashboard

5. The Following User Says Thank You to neet_wagon For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (15th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen on Facebook before, a picture of a dash that a bloke had done exactly that. He made it from fibreglass and it looked like it came from the Nissan factory.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Dads GQ (15th October 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, never got around to it before I wound up bitsing the car for a GU conversion however in the process I did trial fit a low profile android Double din where the heater controls went bit did appear to look like it'd fit up

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you done with your custom dash project? I want to modify mine also.