Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Jerrys on the Roof?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i made a box for the roof that fitted 3 jerry together fairly snug Empty. When i filled them it was very very snug. Strap through the 3 handles and ratchet down and there isn Zero chance of rubbing. this box has done the Madigan and the Central Simpson without a problem and i expect to still be using this set up for many years to come. Id have no hesitation going anywhere with it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run 4 plastic 10 litre's on the roof in a canvas bag to stop rub through. Only problem I had once was on one the lid wasn't sealing so had a bit of fuel leakage.
    I'm sure if you made sure there were no leaks prior you'd be fine
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the experience guys. Did you guys run the Jerrys standing up normally, or on their backs (I guess it's the back) with the breather outlet facing down and the main outlet facing the sky?

That's how I'm hoping to mount them.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I've been thinking about the 10L jerrys. They'll be easier to put up on the roof and I can access them all from the same side which means if I make a holder for them it would be easier to make. Plus they are lower, they'll be sitting up the correct way, they've got a lot going for them.

I used to have a trayback ute and I always stored my jerrys loosely. The logic being that if they can jiggle around a bit, they shouldn't just rub in the one spot. They'll rub, then jiggle around as I drive and then they should rub again in a different place. I reckon if you tie them up tightly, they'll just rub & rub in the in the one spot.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 2 of the squat 25 lt ones so I can stand them up or lay down if I wish, use ratchet straps to tie down as cam straps won't get tight enough,
    As Darren mentioned tighten lids with grips and I also tape lids, no leaks, good cans don't leak

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just a question which is better metal jerry cans AS or approved plastic ones ???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey 10G. I'm just back from a trip over the Simpson - up to Darwin - and across the Gulf back to Brisbane. Around 12000km. I had a single plastic 20L jerry on the roof, one of those yellow ones from BCF.
    It was mostly empty, except when very remote as an emergency source.
    At first I had it up-right - spouts skyward. But then I carried it on it's back with the spout down closest to rack. I simply used 2 ratchet straps to hold it down on my Rhino Pioneer platform via eye-bolts. I did up the main and breather just by hand. Never had a drop come out of either.
    It makes a surprsingly big difference to fuel economy to have it standing up!

Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks for the experience guys. Did you guys run the Jerrys standing up normally, or on their backs (I guess it's the back) with the breather outlet facing down and the main outlet facing the sky?

That's how I'm hoping to mount them.
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post
    Hey 10G. I'm just back from a trip over the Simpson - up to Darwin - and across the Gulf back to Brisbane. Around 12000km. I had a single plastic 20L jerry on the roof, one of those yellow ones from BCF.
    It was mostly empty, except when very remote as an emergency source.
    At first I had it up-right - spouts skyward. But then I carried it on it's back with the spout down closest to rack. I simply used 2 ratchet straps to hold it down on my Rhino Pioneer platform via eye-bolts. I did up the main and breather just by hand. Never had a drop come out of either.
    It makes a surprsingly big difference to fuel economy to have it standing up!
    Thanks Boinzo, that's good to know.

I see in your signature you have an 80L sub tank. Got any details on that??

Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,038 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

I see in your signature you have an 80L sub tank. Got any details on that??
    Thay are an aftermarket long-range sub tank around $1000 + fitment.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen about 50 odd litre after market sub tanks, but I've not looked too hard. I wonder how low they sit??

Is the sub tank the side tank or the back tank?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast