Hybrid View

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autos

Right everyone, what are your thoughts on GU automatics? 2008-10. I've never owned an auto 4wd and I see there are a lot out there now days.
    Do they tow well?
    I've heard vicious rumours that they tend not to kick down early enough when under load.
    What are they like off-road?
    Any telltale signs that the auto might be on the way out?
    I'm looking around and it seems that in my price range there are way more autos than manuals and they generally have higher km's.
    Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.
    Cheers, Pete

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day Pete, I have a GU auto and lovin it. Some of what you have been told though is correct. The kickdown under load can be interesting to say te least, but you can become accustomed to it. Most of those who tow with auto, including myself, turn the overdrive off, (switch on the side of the gear lever) when towing or especially when overtaking at highway speeds. It is an interesting feeling if you are trying to overtake a road train and half way through the car can't make up its mind which gear it wants to be in. That happened to me but only once.
    Off road, I believe they will go anywhere a manual will, although a lot of manual drivers will dissagree. Our club had one trip last year which turned into an uphill mud climb and I made it through on first attempt where some others had a couple of shots even with manuals. If you use your left foot to break and right on the go pedel you can achieve good momentum without wheel spin.
    Tell tail signs are different shift patterns, ie. it starts too change before or after it used to, or swings between changes and can't make up its mind what gear to select. Also check the fluid level and colour and smell. If it turn from red to black and especially if it gets a burnt smell, get it checked immediatly because it wont go much further once that happens. Strange noises of course but that also applies to manuals. If you have been crossing rivers, make sure you have not got water into the box. That also applies to manuals and to diffs .

Thats my thought mate - over to others now - cheers Tony.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy with mine Pete.
    So far has gone everywhere that any manuals I've been travelling with have and further than some. The auto has been a dream in 4WD.
    I never use overdrive when towing. Can't comment on potential issues as I've only done about 80,000kms.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely love my auto. Hardly ever use the overdrive. Never in the city, never in 4wd and never when towing. 1st gear low range is not as low as the manuals and that can be a little limiting is some off road situations for example steep descents and asents but having installed reduction gears that has resoveled thoughs issues for me. Also a trans temp gauge is I good idea so you can monitor the trans and adjust your driving before any damage is done due to overheating. What I like about the auto the most is that it gives you such a smooth drive in very rough tricky terrain. In very slow crawling situations you have constant drive to the wheels making things smoother than with a manual as you are breaking the drive every time you use the clutch. Mines done nearly 300k and still has nice smooth solid gear changes.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My choice for an auto was based on a medical condition, so I had no choice.

Mine is a very early GU so a different auto.

Some would say that I have an unconventional 4wd being duel fuel and an auto, but it has taken me everywhere I need it to go so far.

The only 2 issues I have is on the slightest of inclines I need a bit more revs, a push of the overdrive button and that fixes that, but that's the 3.9 gear ratio not the auto. The other thing is as mentioned by Chubba 1st low isn't that low. I too have reduction gears and yes @Chubba I still need to get them fitted.
    Offroad I haven't done that much in this one, but my last 4x4 (auto as well) had no problems.
    Plus for an auto, on climbs you can change gears without losing momentum up or down.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Chubba (12th August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swore I'd never have an auto 4WD but came across mine during extensive searches for another vehicle - been a city car all its life - pristine condition inside & out - underneath was immaculate so I bought it with the intention of putting a manual in as soon as funds allowed but a week into owning it I quickly decided it's staying 👍🏼 it's great in the bush I rekn . Having said that it unexpectedly shit itself a month ago - 230,000ks , I had just done an fluid change 2 weeks prior, it was still red & clean I just changed it as part of general maintenance . But yes I would recommend an auto , plenty have done high ks & done a lot of towing without issue .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^^
    Lol. Its not in pristine condition now after you have molested that thing in the bush.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha that was my plan - I wanted to molest it myself - not buy it molested 😝

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cant comment on a GU but I used to have a 94 GQ Tb42e auto........ bloody loved it, a so much more relaxing ride than the 93 TD42 manual I gave now......... I really miss the auto and even more so now, seeing as operating the clutch and changing gears causes a wee bit of pain these days

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread everyone. I've only ever had manuals (1980 MQ, 2008 GU CRD (written off in the 2010 hailstorm), and now a 2014 GU CRD) and have loved them all. However, I have wondered whether the autos were really better in the rough. I know the theory about having constant power to the wheels at all times, but how real is that theory? I do think the autos are a little noisy at take-off though.