Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member buy my first patrol

G'day guys new member here.

Just want to put it out there and see what you guys think. Im looking to buy a patrol for a good family rig to get away, ive read up a fair bit of info and seems the problems with the 3.0ltd where in the gu lll patrols. Ive found a 04 st gu lV done about 150k right in my price range. Looks neat and well look after and planning on looking at it tomorrow. Just wanted to know is there anything in particular i should look out for? If i buy id be doing the nads mods eventually, for peace of mind.

Any info would be great. Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum,
    look for service history every time

MODS can you move this to the intro please
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th August 2016 at 10:17 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day bloke, welcome!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate. No one can really say but the one you are looking at is the same as mine, and I've had a good run, 222000k ATM. Yes the grenade issue was more prevalent in the GU I, II and III, but the IV can and does still blow up. My thought has been from the start if it blows put a new motor in it unless something else has gone as well. It would be expensive but still a cheaper option than trading to a new car, or buying a Prius. As TD said, look for a service history, but if you can't get that see if you can figure out what it was used for. Mining vehicle be very careful unless it was a supervisors or managers vehicle. If it has been towing a large caravan around Aus for a couple of years it may also be near its use by date. Getting under and looking for mud / dust behind the bumpers and on top of diffs etc is often a good idea. You can also look for cracks in the rear spring towers which could indicate heavy loads or lots of off road play.
    Cheers Tony
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard. All good with the GU and ZD30 motor if you listen to the motor.
    I have the grenade and am sitting on 330,000km. Only issue I have had have been self induced.
    There are modifications you can do to reduce the risk.
    But don't be fooled, the issue is across the board, Nissan, Toyota, Isuzu, and so on. Just Nissan had them 1st.
    Again, listen to your vehicle, they talk to you. If they sound wrong or feel wrong, something is wrong.