Thread: 2 inch lift problems

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 inch lift problems

Just had a 2inch (50mm) suspension kit fitted, I understand that I should not need a caster correction bushes fitted on my Patrol 2005 3l, had a wheel alignment and showed castor why out, not sure what all this means but the final measurement is +0 26' +044' so do I need a Castor Correction, Before my upgrade to a 2 inch, afew months ago the caster final was +4 21' +4 42' any help thanks Hutchsky

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchsky View Post
    Just had a 2inch (50mm) suspension kit fitted, I understand that I should not need a caster correction bushes fitted on my Patrol 2005 3l, had a wheel alignment and showed castor why out, not sure what all this means but the final measurement is +0 26' +044' so do I need a Castor Correction, Before my upgrade to a 2 inch, afew months ago the caster final was +4 21' +4 42' any help thanks Hutchsky
    I know the numbers are in degrees and minutes but what the correct settings are I'm not too sure.
    When I was asking around what is needed for a 2" lift. Everyone said I'll need springs and shocks and that's.
    I rang around a few 4x4 places and some said yes some said no to offset castor bushes.
    I decided to go for a full kit which had offset castor bushes, extended brake lines and a brake proportioning valve bracket. This was recommended with with the spring/shock I chose.

I have also fitted a offset kingpin to help with the camber.

I also was told that I won't need adjustable panhards, but they do hang out a little on the driver's side, well on my gu anyway.

I do believe that having the offset castor has rolled the diff enough so I don't rub on anything with my current tyres, even when I had the 35s on it was minimal on full lock.

That's my input and it worked for me. No doubt you will get different stories.
    Do your research and ask around at 4x4 places then do what you believe is right for your situation.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

hutchsky (3rd August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't pretend to know anything about this subject but I was also told that I would not need anything when my 50mm kit was fitted. A few months after I noticed the rubber on my drop links needed replacing (not to do with the lift ) and a mate recommended I get extended links. He reconed that with a 50mm lift you extend the links 30mm - don't know why. Anyway I thought whatever and did as he said. Man what a difference to the body roll both on and off road. Also quieter and smoother, but that was probably due to the new rubbers. I also manufactured my own brake equaliser bracket, making it 50mm longer than the original so that the spring sits horizontal again. So hearing that you don't have to change things for a 50mm lift now tells me that , yea you dont have to but it can sure improve things if you do.
    Last edited by 4bye4; 3rd August 2016 at 05:45 PM.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

hutchsky (3rd August 2016), jay see (3rd August 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Castor 10deg Initial Measurement Left +0 24' Right +0 43' Target Data -0 30' {+3 30'} +030' Final Measurement Left+0 26' Right +044'

this my latest report, wheel alignment, not sure what it all means
    Last edited by hutchsky; 3rd August 2016 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, no good to me, just a lot of numbers.
    My castor bushes are 2 degrees offset if that helps anyone...

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hutchsky View Post
    Castor 10deg Initial Measurement Left +0 24' Right +0 43' Target Data -0 30' {+3 30'} +030' Final Measurement Left+0 26' Right +044'

this my latest report, wheel alignment, not sure what it all means
    I read that as requiring 2degrees to correct. 2 degrees s not a lot. it really does come down to the car and the driver, some people don't need any correction. I did not do a caster correction on my GQ with a 2" lightened it was fine.

My GU has a 3" lift and i have fitted Drop Boxes which are great. I also have the Kingpin Camber correction offset bearing on the left and rate it highly.

Bottom line is, if you can feel it and think you need to do a correction then you probably do.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post: