Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAXTREK SU-800 Tyres

Hi All

I'm John, I'm new here but I need to vent so please bear with me.

I recently bought 2013 ST Manual PATROL "The Truck" on the test drive I felt some vibration but being unfamiliar with the vehicle put it down to road conditions and solid suspension so soon "The Truck" was mine, turns out it had worn Bridgestone Duelers on the front and new Maxtrek SU-800 (Chinese Bridgestone look alike) on the back.

After taking delivery I decided it made sense to have the new tyres on the front axle and the worn ones on the rear so swapped them over which turned "The Truck" into a nauseating bone shaker, after identifying the worst corner I returned the old Bridgies to the front with the best Maxtrek and the spare on the rear, "The Truck" was immediately more comfortable to ride in.

At my regular wheel aligner the suspect Maxtrak was put on the computer balance and while running true it was 80gm out of balance, the other Maxtrak was out by 60gm, that imbalance can possibly be put down to the previous tyre fitter or machine so with both balanced and visually running true I again moved them to the front axle with the same nauseating result so clearly there was something very wrong with the construction of at least one tyre, it has since been replaced with a Bridgie and the remaining Maxtrek moved to the rear axle.

There is still some smooth road wheel vibration in "The Truck" that I'm putting down to the remaining Maxtrek but as it's not intrusive and "The Truck"'s future is unlikely to involve a whole lot of freeway tarmac, I'll live with it.

I have no idea who bought the tyres, when or from where so haven't looked into what warranty may be available and as I no longer have the tyre I won't bother but when tyre replacement comes around again Maxtrek will not be on the list.

Has anyone else had a problem with Maxtrek or have I been singled out for special treatment?

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by TT Aero; 31st July 2016 at 01:59 AM.