Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you buy an ex-Govt GU?

Hi all,

I've been offered a white 2006 ST auto diesel with only 88,000kms on the clock, ARB bar work all round including bull bar, side brush bars, solid side steps, winch, ARB rear draw system and divider with cargo barrier. The vehicle is in good condition with usual minor wear and tear, though it has some rust on the bull bar and the spot lights are cactus but easily replaced. It had 5 new BFgoodrich A/T tyres added about 6 months ago with at least 80% tread. It's a retiring govt vehicle (10 years govt service is a long time!) but most of its travels were short and relatively easy (mostly, it was pushed hard on a few occasions) as it was the supervisor's vehicle. Speaking with the local mechanic who always serviced it, he reckons the engine and running gear are in good nick. Asking price is $11,000.

Reckon its a fair price and would you consider an ex-Govt vehicle?

Cheers,

Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What donk is in it?

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you buy an ex-Govt GU?

Generally ex-Gov fleet are maintained very well, however depending how it was utilised they may not receive much mechanical sympathy from the drivers. However if it's only been driven by the supervisor you may be in luck!

Certainly sounds like a well decked out vehicle with low km,s - sounds like a good buy. Got any pics?

I'd have a guess and say it's the Di 3.0l at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Croozer View Post
    Hi all,

I've been offered a white 2006 ST auto diesel with only 88,000kms on the clock, ARB bar work all round including bull bar, side brush bars, solid side steps, winch, ARB rear draw system and divider with cargo barrier. The vehicle is in good condition with usual minor wear and tear, though it has some rust on the bull bar and the spot lights are cactus but easily replaced. It had 5 new BFgoodrich A/T tyres added about 6 months ago with at least 80% tread. It's a retiring govt vehicle (10 years govt service is a long time!) but most of its travels were short and relatively easy (mostly, it was pushed hard on a few occasions) as it was the supervisor's vehicle. Speaking with the local mechanic who always serviced it, he reckons the engine and running gear are in good nick. Asking price is $11,000.

Reckon its a fair price and would you consider an ex-Govt vehicle?

Cheers,

Dan
    An absolute bargain mate! I wouldn't even hesitate if everything checked out! If your concerned its too cheap, pay one of those car inspection mobs to go over it thoroughly, for around $200 its good insurance on your purchase/peace of mind.

I bought an ex government fleet GU, it too was a great buy with a lot of extras and was well looked after. Would buy one again.

If you think about it, if you were to buy a bog stock gu you would be up for:

- Arb bar 2k
    - Brush rails 1k,
    - Side steps 500,
    - Winch 500- 1k
    - Arb drawer system 2k
    - Cargo barrier/divider 800.
    - Set of BFGs 1.5k

All this + fitting price if you pay someone to bang it on,

You are realistically only really paying 2/3k for a low km Troll that even in a bad scenario, you are gonna get at least another 100,000km outta before anything major things start playing up.

Jump on carsales/gum tree. The price is incredibly fair for that age/accessories, (most start at around 15k for stock, and any extras you are looking at over 20k, with that sorta gear/kms.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,
    Westie
    Last edited by Toy-Eta; 24th July 2016 at 10:23 AM.
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toy-Eta For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (24th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds very cheap and if the mechanic says that it is in good nick then you should be alright.
    It's a low km patrol with a lot of high value extras, I would probably go for it. Even if a few things come up that need fixing you will still be well in front.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, sorry I should have specified its the 3ltr donk. Its an ex-Australian Federal Police vehicle which has lived most of its life on the coast. Its also got a big rear step hanging off the back of it which may come in handy. It may have a bit of rust being a coastal vehicle (I'm presuming) but nothing that I can see apart from what is already mentioned. I figure I can give it a lift and replace some well worn parts and get myself cheaply into a well decked out truck. Its not perfect, but at that price I'm wondering if its worth grabbing and dealing with any issues (if any) as they arise.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A mate of mine bought an ex ambulance GU4.2TD a couple of years ago and besides a few drilled holes throughtout the vehicle the maintenance was A1 and was carried out every 5k. Still going strong with no issues as far as I know

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,668 Times in 3,127 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the sorta car you want..
    And what a steal..
    That's about $5000 cheaper than market value atm without the extras..
    Im with Toy-eta, got lots of k's left before your in the worry zone.
    And don't stress about it being flogged.. the little zd30's do like to Rev. .
    Take it for a spin and if it's smooth, starts well and doesn't stumble and doesn't bellow loads of smoke in the higher rpm range I'd say grab it..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for that. I've driven it and its starts first go, no smoke, smooth as butter, drives nicely. Sounds like I might be stupid if I don't go for it. Reckon Id throw a lift on it, grab some new rims on (the stock alloys are dinged up) and she might be good to go. Anyone chipped their 3ltr? Worth it?

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated.

Dan

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Croozer View Post
    Cheers for that. I've driven it and its starts first go, no smoke, smooth as butter, drives nicely. Sounds like I might be stupid if I don't go for it. Reckon Id throw a lift on it, grab some new rims on (the stock alloys are dinged up) and she might be good to go. Anyone chipped their 3ltr? Worth it?

Cheers for the feedback, much appreciated.

Dan
    Yes I chipped my 3ltr Di 2004 and more than happy, I went with a DP-Chip
    first I put it on 9 but found it bew too much black smoke so backed it off to
    7 for towing duties good power, no smoke, very happy.
    I have a 3" full exhaust as well as a tigged Intercooler larger scoop and NADS
    fitted along with a catch can
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast