Thread: Bullbar choices

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullbar choices

Hi all!
    Iv seen a few of these threads but most are a little dated so hoping to get a little more updated info.
    I have a series 3 patrol with an alloy bar and I'm looking at upgrading it to a steel bar. Living in the NT I think it's a smarter choice to have steel.
    I don't really want to spend more then $1200.
    ARB, opposite lock and TJM are all going from between $1700-$1900 so there out.
    I have looked at ironman and I can get one for around $1100. Has anyone else got any ideas? Iv seen a few on eBay, one in particular from WA going for about $800 but obviously there a sort of no name brand.
    What are your thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you say no name brand do you mean a cheap copy import or a custom fabricated one? If its the latter I would snap it up.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's more of a custom fabricated one..
    Heres the link http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/112062711146
    What do you think?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks a bit like a copy of the ARB deluxe bars, a mate bought something similar for around the same price on ebay and put it on his Prado.
    They seem solid enough, and look good too.

The only catch with the one he purchased, was that the vertical height of the barwork was shorter then the ARB.

From memory it was 60mm shorter, which allowed him to only fit 170 light-force spotties, and not the larger 240's. (so they don't protrude from the bar work)

(you'd have to get the dimensions to see if this was the case with the bar your looking at)

Apart from that he's happy with it
    '09 3L CRD Gu Wagon - 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, 2" OME, Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bull Bar, Warn Winch, Side steps, Safari Snorkel, ARB Alloy Rack, ARB on Board Compressor, Dual Batteries, Kaymar Rear Dual Bar, EBC, Reversing Camera, Outback Drawers, Fridge Slide, ARB Cargo Barrier & Divider, Rear Door Diner, Long Ranger Tanks, GME 3350s/6.6DBI, 240 Lightforce XGT's, 42' Roof Mounted Illuminator Light Bar.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ideally you would want one made from 4mm steel,
    seeing you're up the Territory.
    Use that as a guide eh lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd save the pennies and buy an ARB unit (I think the commercial ones go for around $1300). IMO they are better engineered. When I was looking around, I saw some photos of the Ironman (which I think is Thai made like the MCC), and it used cheep crush cans for the BB mounting. Once they're damaged (crushed), you can throw your bullbar away (http://www.ironman4x4.com/system/res...009-IM.pdfpage 2 of pdf). I've also looked at some of the other cheep Thai built ones and they looked flimsy compared to the arb ones.

The ARB unit has slots, so on impact the bullbar will push back and down avoiding too much damage cooling system? have a look at the pic of my BB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abw; 21st August 2016 at 08:47 AM.
    Andrew
    -----------------------
    GU3 Patrol, TB48, 33" muddies. front E-locker. 4.11 diff gears. 2.2 metre steel rack. Awning. Steel rear bar. Safari Snorkel. ARB side steps and brush rails. ARB Deluxe bull bar. Winch. 2" lift.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also the OE steel bull bar is made by ARB something else to think about

EDIT:: Only trouble I have with the OE bullbar is they are very close to the grill
    which will limit what style driving light you use.

The bar in that link looks very weak in the cato straps {uprights} if you ask me,
    there is nothing to stop it folding back in the case of an animal strike
    Last edited by threedogs; 24th July 2016 at 03:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate i know its out of your price range but this is what im getting once i get my tax return .http://www.uneek4x4.com.au/gu-patrol...2015-bull-bar/ They are ADR and Airbag compliant and made here in aussie ,and i think there a great looking bar. My therory is it should last the lifetime of my patrol and if i was to have a incedent i would feel much safer knowing i have a adr compiant and a tuff aussie made bar . my 2c worth
    gu_patrol_bull_bar_4__48025.1390297165.1280.1280.jpe
    cheeres caveman
    Why do caveman drag there woman by there hair ?
    Cause if you drag them by there feet they fill up with dirt

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies guys!
    That one looks great caveman!
    Thanks for the info abw, I'd love to go an ARB but the dealer in Alice quoted me $1850 supply only. If I could get one for $1300 it'd be a no brainer!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    one in particular from WA going for about $800 but obviously there a sort of no name brand.
    What are your thoughts?
    Mate I have been trying to buy one of these for my rig for about about 6 weeks.
    Called the number and spoke to Joe. I asked to look at one. Was told he could show me one next Tuesday. On Tuesday I rang him and he had to go out of town and would call me back. Two days later I called again and he had just discovered he didn't have one for my model (GUIV), but would get one back from his retailer. I rang back the following week and he said that his retailer in WA didn't have one but he had one coming from South Australia. That was two weeks ago and he hasn't rung back and I haven't rung him. Hey Joe, if your read these forums, give me a call mate, I'm not calling you again.
    Tony
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast