Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissPat View Post
    Sorry for th hi-jack but would a smart charger notice a dead cell???
    It depends just how smart the charger is. At work I deal with a lot of Delta Q smart chargers (24 & 36 volt) and I've seen them boil a set of six 335 A/H trojan deep cycle batteries after one of the batteries dropped a cell. The batteries got so hot I couldn't touch them for 6 hours.

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    It depends just how smart the charger is. At work I deal with a lot of Delta Q smart chargers (24 & 36 volt) and I've seen them boil a set of six 335 A/H trojan deep cycle batteries after one of the batteries dropped a cell. The batteries got so hot I couldn't touch them for 6 hours.

Tony
    Holy crap!
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the second battery fitted by "a Friend"!!

The solar panel sits on the front of the roof rack and was fitted by a professional.

For the last hour I have been looking for the receipt when the panel was fitted and cant find it so all can do is measure it 120 x 55cm
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post

Tony
    I'll second that Tony, boiling batteries can be extremely dangerous.. Smart charges are very good however with a dead cell a lot of battery charges just see the battery as still flat, therefore putting more amps into it..
    The battery will just keep getting hotter and hotter till something melts and shorts out possibley damaging the battery charger or battery blows up (which I have also seen)..
    Most battery charger have a overload protection to stop damage from occurring to them, just remember when you have a battery on charge to keep it preferably outside in a well ventilated area and check it every couple of hours if able
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snicko View Post
    Had the second battery fitted by "a Friend"!!

The solar panel sits on the front of the roof rack and was fitted by a professional.

For the last hour I have been looking for the receipt when the panel was fitted and cant find it so all can do is measure it 120 x 55cm
    On the Bach of the solar panel it should Say how many watts or amps the panel is but sounds like would be between the 60-100w mark (5-8amps)
    Qualified Auto-Electrician
    Apprentice Sparky

Dont own a Patrol or any 4WD at the moment, hopefully will change into the future

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Uuuummmm... something suss here.

Do you have a regulator on the Solar Panel and what size panel is it (wattage) ?
    Have you had the Panel connected to all of the batteries at some point ?
    When the solar panel was fitted Oct 09 I got the guys to check the second battery set up.

They set it up that the solar panel puts charge into the third battery only. (Thumper Redback BADC)

Fitted is a PV Charge Controller SBC-7108 / 7112 / 7120 (Found the user's manual!!)

The alternator is to charge the main crank battery first then the second battery and if any left the third battery.
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fletch & Tony seem to have you sorted but i will add in my experience the pv controllers are absolute rubbish. I wouldn't use them as paper weights. What i've seen they allways over charge & give false readings. Good luck mate & keep us posted.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuf 42 View Post
    Fletch & Tony seem to have you sorted but i will add in my experience the pv controllers are absolute rubbish. I wouldn't use them as paper weights. What i've seen they allways over charge & give false readings. Good luck mate & keep us posted.
    What would you recommend as a dodgie battery setup is the last thing you need out in the bush!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate as to solar regs stick with the big names, morning star, steca, redarc, plasmatronics. I personallly use Steca in my car solar setup & the new van setup is having a morning star regulator. Batteries are funny things what works for some doesn't work for others. Only hints i can give are make sure your batteries are solar compatable, cables from solar to reg to batts are of decent size [6mm core minimum] & good quality componets.

Hope this helps bud & good luck.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark 1 For This Useful Post:

snicko (19th April 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the 4bee to a solar panel place and "assumed" like you shouldnt! that they would do the right thing by me. Thanks for your advice I will check out what I actually have and do some research maybe check on a forum!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by snicko; 19th April 2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling - cant!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast