User Tag List

Thread: Improve Electrical Conductivity

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improve Electrical Conductivity

I would like to share an improvement I did with my Range Rover P38 ( 1996 model ) and soon will do with my 'new' Patrol 1989 model.
    I noticed in the RR that the EARTH wiring made a weird circuit : from battery to engine to a single point at the chassis. With that much electrics going on I thought 'lets see what happens if I make a few 'short-cuts' ... no not + on - ... you get what I mean. So I made a dedicated Earth wire from battery to ignition pack (8 coils in that RR ) , one to the main fuse box under the bonnet and one to the sub-fuse box under the drivers seat. Don't ask how many fuses that RR has ... you'd faint.
    The result: improved fuel economy !!! Most likely got a better spark due to better voltage on coils. Improved responsiveness of the climate control ( a common RR problem) , all regulated with motors, brighter lights of all switches etc.
    It is not hard to imagine that when a vehicle gets older the resistance in the original Earth wiring increases. The dedicated Earth wiring circumvents that. make sure you make good lugs ( soldered ) and make good contact to the various points.
    I'm sure a similar action will improve something in our Patrols.
    Good Luck !!

J.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th July 2016), VK2FMIA (16th July 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that mate. As you will see on the forum, GU's in particular are very prone to earth issues. I for one would agree that all sorts of weird issues can often be solved by new earths. I have run an earth wire from the earth terminal on the battery through the firewall and terminating on an 6 m bolt. I run all the earths from additional equipment, radios, meters and accessories back to this terminal. I also try to as much as possible to run earth wire to lights etc rather than relying on the chassis earth.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the single biggest fault with a GQ or GU is the Earthing

my GQ I had earth straps from:
    Gearbox to chassis
    Engine to chassis
    Battery 1 to chassis
    Battery 2 to chassis
    Body to chassis

thats over and above what is on there normally

on my GU, I have only got as far as

Body to chassis
    Gearbox to chassis
    Battery 1 to chassis
    Battery 2 to chassis

have yet to find a good spot from the motor to chassis..........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good on you , I think car manufacturers never caught up with Earthing properly after the first spark plug was installed over a century ago ;-)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (15th July 2016), Bigcol (16th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I found on my tojo that each part of of the 4x4 had its own earth, like front of engine bay,,,engine bay,,firewall,,,cabin etc and etc
    Running extra earth straps is a great idea. You can buy them any length you want from most speed shops
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandRoverGhost View Post
    I would like to share an improvement I did with my Range Rover P38 ( 1996 model ) and soon will do with my 'new' Patrol 1989 model.
    I noticed in the RR that the EARTH wiring made a weird circuit : from battery to engine to a single point at the chassis. With that much electrics going on I thought 'lets see what happens if I make a few 'short-cuts' ... no not + on - ... you get what I mean. So I made a dedicated Earth wire from battery to ignition pack (8 coils in that RR ) , one to the main fuse box under the bonnet and one to the sub-fuse box under the drivers seat. Don't ask how many fuses that RR has ... you'd faint.
    The result: improved fuel economy !!! Most likely got a better spark due to better voltage on coils. Improved responsiveness of the climate control ( a common RR problem) , all regulated with motors, brighter lights of all switches etc.
    It is not hard to imagine that when a vehicle gets older the resistance in the original Earth wiring increases. The dedicated Earth wiring circumvents that. make sure you make good lugs ( soldered ) and make good contact to the various points.
    I'm sure a similar action will improve something in our Patrols.
    Good Luck !!

J.
    Well done mate.
    Thanx for uploading this information.
    This will help me and many others to do something useful in spare time and improve the vehicle mechanics by improving
    the electrics.
    I see and hear it all the time, that, many seemingly mechanical problems turns out to be electrical problems.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

LandRoverGhost (16th July 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandRoverGhost View Post
    good on you , I think car manufacturers never caught up with Earthing properly after the first spark plug was installed over a century ago ;-)
    I think that they have tried to avoid earth loops which can sometimes cause problems in high tech stuff. A 4x4 should not be that sensitive, but they probably wire them the same as cars that are not subjected to the same corrosion causing elements and vibration like a 4x4.
    Graham

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeYou8 View Post
    I think that they have tried to avoid earth loops which can sometimes cause problems in high tech stuff. A 4x4 should not be that sensitive, but they probably wire them the same as cars that are not subjected to the same corrosion causing elements and vibration like a 4x4.
    Graham
    Earth loops shouldn't be an issue on 12v stuff. Usually only low voltage electronics that are that sensitive. Could affect the engine management though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.