Thread: Jamieson and high country

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lloyds Hut and high country

Hey ladies and gents,

I have been invited on a bit of a camp trip out to one of the huts up at Jamieson somewhere, it is a genuine camp trip, not a
    "test your 4x4 to the highest extreme" trip, so if chicken tracks need to be used they will be used.

I have been re-assured my Healthy but stock GU 3.0 AUTO on 35'z will have no worries out there (I will get bogged apparently but not too bad lol).

As i am going with someone who is some what experienced out that way im not too fussed but just looking for an idea of what I am to expect
    and should i bring anything especially. I did see a post from last year saying alot of the tracks have been graded.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: when i say stock, it has all the nads which where fitted to the brand new motor.
    Last edited by Finezy; 1st August 2016 at 03:00 PM.
    2001 GU II ST, 3.0di, Auto, All NADS done, Nissan Snorkel, 50mm Lift, 35's....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Goodluck with the 35"s I take it you know they are giving out yellow cards if not engineered.
    Take your normal Recovery gear straps to suit a Patrol, rated shackles and recovery points.
    A compressor to re fill your tyres, give me a PM if you require help with the rated recovery points
    Last edited by threedogs; 1st August 2016 at 04:07 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't go in through or anywhere near Mansfield especially with 35s. Lots of tracks seasonally closed but still plenty open to choose from. Expect any weather even snow and make sure you have a good saw & heaps of fuel with you especially with the weather at the moment, good chance of heaps of trees down. Have fun tho sounds good.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the heads up, I just found out were actually heading in at walhalla so not quiet Jamieson as i was told before. Hopefully this gets me away from the canaries, i have a set of brand new 31s in the shed if worst comes to worst, they look terrible in the car tho lol. Will be taking 2 saws and basic recovery gear.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will go time mate. Your 35s will handle everything you point at as you have described. There is more Rock and shale than mud.

Do you have a Snorkel? If not a wading bra for the front for river crossing will be handy.

Plenty of great driving. Enjoy.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finezy View Post
    Cheers for the heads up, I just found out were actually heading in at walhalla so not quiet Jamieson as i was told before. Hopefully this gets me away from the canaries, i have a set of brand new 31s in the shed if worst comes to worst, they look terrible in the car tho lol. Will be taking 2 saws and basic recovery gear.
    Just be careful. Of the cops and the tracks. Depending on what your version of basic recovery gear is, the tracks are gonna be real greasy and real wet. I'd be armoured to the hilt with reco gear this time of year out that way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, i will have basic gear but i will be with a mate who has good experience out these parts especially during the wet seasons and bad experience including being stuck sitting on the side of his rig for 24 hours after one of the rivers put it on its side. His misses couldnt swim. And i do have the snorkle, so far the only thing its been good for is It makes darth vadar noises when i turn the car off lol

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finezy View Post
    Cheers, i will have basic gear but i will be with a mate who has good experience out these parts especially during the wet seasons and bad experience including being stuck sitting on the side of his rig for 24 hours after one of the rivers put it on its side. His misses couldnt swim. And i do have the snorkle, so far the only thing its been good for is It makes darth vadar noises when i turn the car off lol
    Yep. All the experience in the world means jack if your bogged to your axles on the side of a snotty hill if your reco gear is inadequate. Not saying you haven't, just saying, dont take risks, have fun and be safe. Be sure to take plenty of pics and post them up for us.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stay safe and enjoy.
    Walhalla tracks tend to be very steep and treacherous. It need respect. Definitely not a place to go in un experienced and un prepared.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after spending Thursday through to Sunday at Lloyds Hut I am now home after an amazing trip. I really enjoyed myself out there and will take every opportunity head back there and explore some more.

My patrol handled everything we came across with only one somewhat sloppy hill climb briefly stopping me. After dropping my tyres a bit more to 15psi it powered up no worries.

Here are some pics i took.

Some decent flex on 35'z.

https://youtu.be/WE8PCYrnp2A
    Our first small river crossing on our way in. This was also my first ever river crossing (filmed in slow mo *shrugz*)

Went and checked out the snow, there wasn't a great deal but still enough worth seeing.

Some amazing views where to be had.

My awesome little BBQ I made at the camp site (Lloyds Hut) :P

And a little log rocket stove I made just messing around, which I cooked our breakfast on.

Few shots of Lloyds Hut which we called home for the 4 days

https://youtu.be/m_zl9c68czE
    Some of you may know exactly where this is and how steep and sloppy it is, I failed to make the top on my first attempt but after dropping the tires from 20 to 15psi this was the result
    2001 GU II ST, 3.0di, Auto, All NADS done, Nissan Snorkel, 50mm Lift, 35's....

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finezy For This Useful Post:

Chubba (1st August 2016), katwoman (1st August 2016), mudski (1st August 2016), threedogs (1st August 2016), Woof (1st August 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast