Thread: Westy's trip to the top

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    That's a fair costing..
    Hopefully maintenance is sorted prior to leaving..
    Gu had just had new suspension put under it.
    Have spent on quality suspension on the van..
    Major service before we leave.
    So hopefully by spending before we leave will make for a smoother trip..
    Yep, major service and pre trip check over before the trip. Serviced in Darwin and AS along the way ............ but Murphy always manages to throw something up. My long range tank was 8 years old, fatigue cracks started from where the baffles are welded inside the tank. Had the crack welded up in Birdsville but it opened up again in Coburg. The shocks where only about 40k old, but I guess they where 40k rough ks. Used up 4 air filters and 3 punctures on the camper. The camper wears the same wheels and tyres as the Patrol, lots of tread but no match for bits of wire and mulga stakes.

PS Sig pic was taken at Ruby Gap, east of AS, well worth a look.
    Last edited by TimE; 8th November 2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th November 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Yep, major service and pre trip check over before the trip. Serviced in Darwin and AS along the way ............ but Murphy always manages to throw something up. My long range tank was 8 years old, fatigue cracks started from where the baffles are welded inside the tank. Had the crack welded up in Birdsville but it opened up again in Coburg. The shocks where only about 40k old, but I guess they where 40k rough ks. Used up 4 air filters and 3 punctures on the camper. The camper wears the same wheels and tyres as the Patrol, lots of tread but no match for bits of wire and mulga stakes.

PS Sig pic was taken at Ruby Gap, east of AS, well worth a look.
    Yea the van will have the same tyres as the wagon, and 3 spares between 6 wheels, plus puncher kit..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most importantly Westy, don't forget to stop, enjoy and take in the serenity. Let the kids take it all in (and yourselves of course).
    Best plan I had was not to have a plan

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th November 2016), Cuppa (8th November 2016), gaddy (9th November 2016), jay see (9th November 2016), katwoman (9th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (8th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Most importantly Westy, don't forget to stop, enjoy and take in the serenity. Let the kids take it all in (and yourselves of course).
    The Best advice you will get in this thread for sure!!! Don't try and do it all mate, there will be another time. Go and enjoy your family
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. By all means have a couple of 'must do's', but make the rest 'maybe's'.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    take a third of what you think you'll spend on the trip just for repairs ,if you end up having none....stop at a pub close to home on the way back and spend it
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th November 2016), Clunk (8th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,002 Times in 3,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The Best advice you will get in this thread for sure!!! Don't try and do it all mate, there will be another time. Go and enjoy your family
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yup. By all means have a couple of 'must do's', but make the rest 'maybe's'.
    You know what. Last night me a nissa were talking and we've sorta said f it..
    Were going to set dates for Ularu, the ulgas, kings, tanami and lake argyle resort for the pure fact that booking a spot at the resort needs to be made as early as possible.
    I realize it could all still go south if we have trouble on the tanami, but I'd prefer to have it booked than not..
    Then after that were only planning be home date..
    We talked about the idea of ditching darwin and just do the Kimberly but that'll mean tanami twice and Tbh, I think that'll probably be best left untill it's sealed lol..
    To I think we'll leave the Bungles for this trip and maybe focus more on Litchfield more than Kakadu but it's all open..
    We've looked at the boat trips @Cuppa and although the Tripple J trip looks awesome with the kids were probably going to just do a smaller sunset trip on the lake.

On a side note..
    What's to do between Adelaide and Alice.
    On the way up were doing an over night at Adelaide as the plan is to head to Alice with the parents and spend a few nights around Ularu with them.
    But over night stops at Glendambo and Marla, with a look around Coober Pedy for lunch.
    Again all the stuff south is doable in shorter trips, but I'd like to do different places on the way home..
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    take a third of what you think you'll spend on the trip just for repairs ,if you end up having none....stop at a pub close to home on the way back and spend it
    Now that sounds like a winner..
    But any extra left over will go back into savings for the next trip..
    Planning on the trip being about $6000, but will have around $9000 total if needed..
    Which works out more than $1/km..
    Last edited by BigRAWesty; 9th November 2016 at 09:41 AM.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Coward Springs is a good over night stop on the way up mate. Hot Springs. Showers. Clean Camp site. Not Big.

Argibukina Bridge is also a great stop.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    You know what. Last night me a nissa were talking and we've sorta said f it..
    Were going to set dates for Ularu, the ulgas, kings, tanami and lake argyle resort for the pure fact that booking a spot at the resort needs to be made as early as possible.
    I realize it could all still go south if we have trouble on the tanami, but I'd prefer to have it booked than not..
    Then after that were only planning be home date..
    We talked about the idea of ditching darwin and just do the Kimberly but that'll mean tanami twice and Tbh, I think that'll probably be best left untill it's sealed lol..
    To I think we'll leave the Bungles for this trip and maybe focus more on Litchfield more than Kakadu but it's all open..
    We've looked at the boat trips @Cuppa and although the Tripple J trip looks awesome with the kids were probably going to just do a smaller sunset trip on the lake.

On a side note..
    What's to do between Adelaide and Alice.
    On the way up were doing an over night at Adelaide as the plan is to head to Alice with the parents and spend a few nights around Ularu with them.
    But over night stops at Glendambo and Marla, with a look around Coober Pedy for lunch.
    Again all the stuff south is doable in shorter trips, but I'd like to do different places on the way home..

Now that sounds like a winner..
    But any extra left over will go back into savings for the next trip..
    Planning on the trip being about $6000, but will have around $9000 total if needed..
    Which works out more than $1/km..

It is always good to have a plan because you need to know where you want to get to, and how much time you have to spend, but add in some flexibility too, as when you talk to fellow travellers they will tell you about great spots you never heard of before you left, having some flexibility helps to accommodate this new information into the schedule, and there is nothing worse than finding a fantastic spot, to leave cause you 'have to stay on plan' and drive 80 k's up the road to the next spot you 'have to camp at', and find it totally full, trashed, or horrible. If you find a great spot, and everyone is happy, a bit of flexibility means that you can stay an extra night, and enjoy it.

As you have the kids with you, you will need to plan for down days anyway, as the kids won't want to travel 400 k's every day for 5 weeks. If you schedule in some Rest Days along the way ( 3 or 4 ), then these can be used to stay longer at fantastic spots, or give the kids a bit of a break from the constant travel.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th November 2016)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast