Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Westy's trip to the top

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after thinking about it more I think we'll drop the Oodnadatta track for this trip..
    Shoot straight for alice..
    May shoot into William creek and lake eyre is its got water in it..
    And still undecided if to shoot into finke and do the Ghan line into alice to see the camber pillars. .
    That should knock a few days off..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Sounds like a great trip, I agree, don't be in a hurry mate, if you have 5 weeks then plan to enjoy it and not come home cranky without lifetime memories.

Plan to give decent time to good places, if you can't get everywhere that's ok, you will get back again.

Question... Is your Dove an Off-road unit? If not then you have some work to do bud, corrugaions kill. Have a bloody good look at your unit and make changes, brace, strengthen, upgrade. If your damper is not up to it your trip could go to shit quickly mate. The Ghan Heritage Trail up to Finke is rough with sleepers still in the ground in sections.

I reckon your trying to fit too much in mate.
    Hey bloke I must have posted the same time as you, totally missed it..

The dove is not OB buy name but should be more than worth of the OB tracks.
    Full length chassis upgrade, outback eye to eye springs, 31" tyres.
    I am going over the whole lot though to ensure its ready for the trip..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kallen,

One of my first trips up that way was 4 weeks long, Melbourne to Broome via Alice and the Tanami, The Kimberley, across to Darwin and then straight back down the highway to home. So it is doable, but it is then go, go, go ..... Back then I wasn't on holidays till I was there, so it was drive flat out to get to the destination, and then wander about from there. Sometimes it is OK to have a trip like that and you will still see heaps and do heaps, and it is then an appetizer to go back and see the stuff that you couldn't the first time.

I would do the Oodnadatta on the way up, and the highway back ..... don't want to do the highway twice if you can help it. The Oodnadatta is interesting too.

These days the whole trip is part of the journey and I do much prefer to travel on different paths , rather than using the same road up and back if possible, and take things a little slower, but I had to go and do a trip like yours the first time to know that I wanted to go back and do it again.

There is so much to see and do, and I agree with most of the things that have been posted so far .... for me a couple of the highlights not already mentioned are Berri Springs - take mask and snorkel if you can to look at the fish in the crystal clear waters, The Lost City ( Helicopter ride - like the Bungle Bungles but on your journey itinerary ), and Howard Hot Springs. Contrary to others, I also loved Kakadon't, as I went with that attitude and was pleasantly surprised by how much better it was than what I thought it would be, but for me one of the highlights in Kakadu was rescuing 3 different vehicles on the way out to Twin Falls, and then driving back through the river at Jim Jim at night ( after staying too late at Twin Falls and performing too many recoveries ) with the crossing consisting of my headlights being submerged most of the way across with water coming up over the bonnet. The other was the vision of millions of Magpie Geese in one of the lagoons. This has left me with lasting memories that make this special in my mind, and you will find and come across your own special adventures wherever you go, and whatever you get up to.

If you are going to go this complete trip in the four weeks then I would think about ditching the camper, and using a quick setup tent. Going more lightweight will allow you to travel a little faster, and be a bit more agile.

Mic
    Last edited by happygu; 8th November 2016 at 08:44 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th November 2016), Cuppa (8th November 2016), MudRunnerTD (7th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we have dropped Oodnadatta and are making a B line straight for Ularu.
    Anything south can be done in 2 weeks trips. .
    And after working out a rough travel log it's definitely a 5 week trip.
    Realistically taking the camper trailer isn't really going to cost us time, and setup times can be as little as 15 mins.
    So apart from the bit extra fuel usage I think the camper is a certain thing.
    Plus with the kids it's much easier to set up the camper compared to a tent..

But...
    Talking to the caretakers of Lake Argyle Resort last night about booking times etc (it's only $44 a night!! Crazy cheap!!) The tanami will be sealed in 2 years!!
    So this section for me is a must..

Ow and a pic of the Resort to drool over..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was cool & windy when we stayed a night at that Lake Argyle resort. Didn’t do much for me, but then caravan parks rarely do. So anyway if you are going across to Kununurra & Lake Argyle there is a ‘must do’ when you’re there. We didn’t do it but will next time we’re up that way ‘cos everyone I know who has done raves about how good it was .... The Triple J boat trip down the Ord river from Kununurra to Lake Argyle. Can be done both ways or one way with coach return. Keep River NP has some spectacular walks, The Bungles (best seen at ground level IMHO) are without comparison, & there is some great stuff up around Wyndham too (including a small laid back caravan park which was one of the few I actually enjoyed. If you went straight up the guts & across the Tanami to the Kununurra/Wyndham/Border area you could easily fill your 5 weeks & not see/do everything. The Gregory NP has some good free camping at Big Horse Creek campground 10kms from Timber creek. Easily accessible, loww cost with facilities & a good base for some 4wd day trips.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all the longer trips we (me and Mrs TimE) do I budget $1/k. That figure takes account of everything, fuel, food, grog, entertainment. eating out, park fees etc, and a contingency for R&M.

On our 17,000k trip this year I reckon I got close to spending the $17k. This included a new long range tank in Darwin (the old one split) and new shocks in AS.

If there are no big repairs costs I figure I've come out ahead
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TimE; 20th November 2016 at 07:43 AM.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th November 2016), jay see (8th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at that pic of oz.
    I wish I get to do something like that..
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th November 2016), TimE (8th November 2016)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay see View Post
    Looking at that pic of oz.
    I wish I get to do something like that..
    Yep. I look at that and think I need to start dealing drugs or something

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (8th November 2016), jay see (8th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    For all the longer trips we (me and Mrs TimE) do I budget $1/k. That figure takes account of everything, fuel, food, grog, entertainment. eating out, park fees etc, and a contingency for R&M.

On our 17,000k trip this year I reckon I got close to spending the $17k. This included a new long range tank in Darwin (the old one split) and new shocks in AS.

If there are no big repairs costs I figure I've come out ahead

For a Google Earth view of my travels try this link https://personal.filesanywhere.com/f...8c606073aa71a1
    That's a fair costing..
    Hopefully maintenance is sorted prior to leaving..
    Gu had just had new suspension put under it.
    Have spent on quality suspension on the van..
    Major service before we leave.
    So hopefully by spending before we leave will make for a smoother trip..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Was cool & windy when we stayed a night at that Lake Argyle resort. Didn’t do much for me, but then caravan parks rarely do. So anyway if you are going across to Kununurra & Lake Argyle there is a ‘must do’ when you’re there. We didn’t do it but will next time we’re up that way ‘cos everyone I know who has done raves about how good it was .... The Triple J boat trip down the Ord river from Kununurra to Lake Argyle. Can be done both ways or one way with coach return. Keep River NP has some spectacular walks, The Bungles (best seen at ground level IMHO) are without comparison, & there is some great stuff up around Wyndham too (including a small laid back caravan park which was one of the few I actually enjoyed. If you went straight up the guts & across the Tanami to the Kununurra/Wyndham/Border area you could easily fill your 5 weeks & not see/do everything. The Gregory NP has some good free camping at Big Horse Creek campground 10kms from Timber creek. Easily accessible, loww cost with facilities & a good base for some 4wd day trips.
    We're planning 4 nights at Lake Argyle so those few things can definitely be done..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast