Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My GUIII 4.8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice looking rig mate
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay its been great so far. No regrets in buying it at all. I have had very high end stereos and head units before. So i can compare to these. This one for functionality is way above anything else I have used. This was the reason I wanted it in the first place.
    I didnt want heaps of things hanging off my dash or around me, too many distractions and way too complicated to install properly. eg : reverse camera screen, dash cam, extra gauges, phone mount, external gps. All in my opinion would need to be hard mounted, especially when going off road.
    With this unit I have it all in one device and its in a factory location

Like I said before I have reflashed it to gain more settings I can customize to suit my needs. For the average user it may not be necessary, but its simple to do.
    The radio works well, the bluetooth functions great with calls and music, I have now got a few different launch screens to try and see which one I like best.
    I press the Navi button and my gps software comes up. You can change what you use mainly in settings for this button. If you use iGo or something similar change it to iGo, then it pops up when you hit the navi button. If you want something else to pop up instead like Google Maps, make the button default to that. Simple.

Not once have I thought "Oh I wish it could do that" because it does it. I have just changed my setting of muting on reverse to just turning the music down low on reverse. I have also changed to make the volume go up as the speed of the car goes up, so the sound from the stereo is now relative to the speed via GPS which is always on. Please note: this is not the factory option, this is due to me reflashing the firmware that I now have this option.

It multi tasks well. If I want to change my radio station while the GPS is giving me directions I press the home button and then radio, then select. To go back to the GPS I hit the navi button and it comes back up without losing my position or route. Same can be done for phone calls or bluetooth sound.

I can not comment on the sound direct from the head unit as I am running an amp so anything I say on that would be irrelevant.

Im still having a few issues in regards to the OBDII element but that is more so because of Consult II not being supported on certain apps. Not the head unit itself.
    I will get some more pics of it running today with the different Launchers going to give you a look.

Thanks Big Col. I know there are no real outside pics yet. Will remedy that soon I hope. But its bog stock outside really.... for now......

Now for people with issues of shitty GU Patrol reception !!! Especially with aftermarket head units.
    I have just bridged the Dual Diversity antenna to join both of them together. My reception is 100x better doing this now.
    How I did it was very basic. Wrapped some stripped copper out of some speaker wire I had laying around , around the 2 pins a couple of times to effectively bridge them. Plugged it back into the dual diversity adapter and all is good!
    Will this work for you? I dont see a reason why not. If the reception gets worse its simple to undo so just try it.

While your there make sure your head unit is grounded properly. Yes the antenna acts as a ground but its not a good one for head units. this should also help with reception.
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

innocent.bystander (3rd October 2016), jay see (10th July 2016), threedogs (21st July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,038 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike.
    Any issues with the processor, is it up to speed or is there any lag?
    I assume that there isn't.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the chip keeps up really well. Clock speed is 1.6ghz. Being a quad core helps multi tasking a lot. No issues with lag that I have seen so far and I have been using the GPS and bluetooth to play music at once as well as having the browser open in the background and Car Guage Pro connected all at once. Switching between them felt pretty normal. I have had on occasion the music from bluetooth pause and unpause when running a few things at once but I think thats to be expected. Delay may have been 5 seconds tops each time.
    Boot up time from cold boot is around 15 -20 secs .
    You can set the unit to shut down fully anywhere from 30 secs to 2 hrs. I have mine set on 2 hrs so its instant on anywhere in between that time.

Mines running Android KitKat 4.4.4 now. was 4.4.2. I toyed with the idea of going to Android 5 but I dont think its really needed at this stage as the unit functions well as it is.
    I may play around with it in the future though.

While its booting you still have reverse camera available too. So say first thing in the morning turn the car on, head unit starts booting ,chuck it in reverse, head unit straight away cuts to the camera. Select Drive and head unit continues to boot.

As a price comparison goes it was either spend around $1000+ on an alipne or other name brand unit to do something similar that has Android Auto, and still be behind on features, or get the unit I did or a variation of it for $350 running a normal Android OS and be able to play around with it more and have more features out of the box.

Yes you read correct , there are 2 different types of Android.
    Android Auto is slowly being taken up by the bigger manufacturers but it has its limitations at the moment. It also blocks many functions while your on the road when your moving. I understand the need for some of this but not others. Quite a few times I have now had my passenger look up something on the browser head unit like an address while I am driving. This is not allowed on Android Auto and blocks it Til you are stationary. There also havent been many apps developed for that platform yet.

The Generic Android used in the HuiFei made units that are coming out of China have been adapted with different user interfaces specifically for cars but retain the general Android function and feel. Also any app in the app store will work with it. So thats another plus.
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

innocent.bystander (3rd October 2016), jay see (11th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home Screen Launchers for my head unit

This post has been a bit delayed but here it is.
    Few different Launchers (home screens) are now available to me. Some can be customized more than others. Wont go into too much detail as they all have the same basic functionality but some show more info, some show less. As you can see some show speed reading via GPS which I have found quite nice to have. A couple have weather read outs based on GPS coordinates.
    One of them has extra trip computers which can be configured and triggered from the home screen. Another handy thing for them is you can stop them and start them. Handy for me checking on fuel consumption between gas and petrol when flicking between them.
    Obviously the backgrounds can all be changed. Some apps can be placed wherever you want on the screen with a few, some other launchers only allow them to be just moved into one or 2 spots.
    The one I am running on the most is in the second pic. The others I have just mucked around with and not much more. Themes can be downloaded for I think 3 of these launchers as well
    Sorry for the reflection in the pics. I have also included a pic of the radio app
    20160712_142442 (Medium).jpg20160712_142453 (Medium).jpg20160712_142513 (Medium).jpg20160712_142535 (Medium).jpg20160712_142558 (Medium).jpg20160712_142611 (Medium).jpg20160712_142630 (Medium).jpg
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

innocent.bystander (3rd October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You lost me at Hi all,,,lol this unit sounds awesome way above my head Im afraid.
    Do you have a link to the unit at all. TIA

OOI does it have facilities for DBV TV at all I like my TV
    Last edited by threedogs; 21st July 2016 at 01:50 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    You lost me at Hi all,,,lol this unit sounds awesome way above my head Im afraid.
    Do you have a link to the unit at all. TIA

OOI does it have facilities for DBV TV at all I like my TV
    Here is the link to the one I specifically bought. https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GP...on/GA2114.html

But as i said before pretty much all of these come out the same factory . Just with a different sticker or fascia plate. So do some shopping around.
    All of them as far as I can tell support DVB-T or DAB+ in some way shape or form.

The one for my unit is this one https://www.eonon.com/Accessories/Ot...ies/V0052.html
    You can also get external antennas for them too.
    I may get it in the future , unsure as of yet. But I know I can also output the signal to other monitors if I like.

Dont be scared of these units. They are pretty simple to grasp. Out of the box they work perfectly fine. I just wanted more options than the standard software let me have hence me reflashing the firmware with another version. Which is also simple to do. Basically the only way you could stuff it up is if you turned the car off or disconnect the battery.

Best way to think of these units is a mobile phone layed on its side with a built in radio. Everything your phone can do, this will do.
    If there is enough interest I can do a how to on it including what firmware versions are available etc and also external links to the support sites for them.
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

jay see (22nd July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There is a mob down Seaford near Melb that sell TV antenna they have two styles ,
    they are called Laser antenna from memory, as after trying every known antenna
    on the market "Lasers" was the only one that worked....

Im trying to think if Id need any of the functions that are available, the Dash cam sounds handy
    GPS are IMO old hat I seem to get where I want without one,
    On board diagnostics sounds handy too ,but I have ECU-talk for that.
    I do have a 15" flip down screen Im planning on installing in the cargo area, so movies might be OK
    I just dont know, The price on that link was good value

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA2114-An...kAAOSwIgNXjznL
    Last edited by threedogs; 22nd July 2016 at 01:58 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

jay see (22nd July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the tip on the antennas. Will check them out.
    I guess in your case is what do you want your head unit to do.

The price for what you actually get is great. Put an Alpine sticker on it and you would be looking at $900+ and probably still not have the functionality of this one. Thats what won me over.

Yeah they pop up via resellers on ebay. Still the same units.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The laser antenna I have is called a 780 so I suppose thats 780mm long
    There is a longer one available
    Last edited by threedogs; 22nd July 2016 at 02:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast