Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD28T Oil Cooler Help

Hi,

I have a RD28T engine from an early Y60 1994 Nissan Patrol that im using in a project.
    I would really like to add an external oil cooler to it,

As you will all know it takes that bastard Z416 oil filter with the 1X12TPI thread filter,

This means there seems to be no options to add a sandwich plate, When i can get a hold of a spare oil filter/cooler housing i will try remove the filter thread and see if i can braze a new thread to it so i can then fit a sandwich plate.

Has anyone else added a cooler to their motors and done it a way im missing,

I don't think removing the complete cooler housing is a good idea as it also contains the bypasses this doesn't seem to worry the RB guys but i still like the idea of having a bypass,

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Im also really pushed for space in this area so wouldn't rule out a oil filter relocation kit. But that still leaves the above problems.

Brett

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will only ever be able to do bypass cooling so only some of the oil will go through the cooler. You could just find an unused port on the block and do the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    You will only ever be able to do bypass cooling so only some of the oil will go through the cooler. You could just find an unused port on the block and do the same.
    Most filter heads the thread screws into them. So you may be able to remove the adaptor and put another in with the thread you desire.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i was looking at that yesterday but as its the only one i have i was a little scared to try lean on the thread to hard encase i damaged it, Was hoping someone out there had already tried ditching there Z416 filter in favour of a Z9 or similar setup.

Sorry im a little confused as to what you mean by bypass cooling, I was hoping to cool all of the oil before it entered the filter and returned to the engine,

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short of having a spud machined up to replace the 416 there is not too many options in that thread size. Also be careful with full flow cooling, it can be a dangerous exercise if hose size etc isn't thought out properly. Nissan have been a big fan of bypass cooling and has worked very well.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get what you mean, Im not exactly sure how you would set up a by pass cooler.
    I understand how i could set up a full flow cooler id be using -10 lines. -10 sandwich plate -10 - 3/4 fittings into the derale thermostat and -10 fittings into the cooler.

Ive been taking to the guy jackmaster from on ebay who does do a sandwich plate for a Z416 filter, But once again size constraints may be a problem I think i need to get the sump and front diff bolted up to be more clear as to whats going on,