Thread: TD42 or Z30?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 or Z30?

Hello there!

I have a 1996 Y60 and I´ve been thinking to upgrade to a newer Y61 (2006/2009) both lovely cars but I have seen a bunch of people having troubles with their turbos. I live in Costa Rica (Central America) and had not have any problem so far with my 96 Y60 but I would love to buy a newer car as mine is getting old and every year I will have to fix more things. Same as with a newer car but it makes more sense to me to spend on a newer car.

in short, my question is: should I sell my Y60 and jump on a newer model or should I keep my old nissan and put a turbo on it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Tico,
    surprised no answers yet.
    My experience is over a GQ4.2 non turbo diesel (400K) and an 08 GU 3.0l CRD turbo (so far 200K) with a total of about 60 years of cars and bikes.
    My philosophy is now 'keep it simple, stupid'.
    Wish I hadn't let the CEO talk me into the swap over. Reason is the old 4.2 had all the torque down low, the new one needs revs to get the turbo singing and of course that means speed as a rule. For bird watchers grinding their way up a creek bed in the middle of nowhere, speed generally means trouble. Also would you believe the 3.0l models don't even have a manual throttle, so slow, slow control without a jerking foot on the pedal is now gone. Absolute rubbish unless you're a European mother picking up the children from school and likely to drive over the kerb.
    You are right though, the older they get the more things need repair or replacement. I'd guess I was on my third clutch and second brake master cylinders ( at least) which is a pain and of course all rubber and plastic components slowly give up. It is all a matter of pain versus gain.
    I'd prefer the pain of maintaining an everlasting, low revving reliable non turbo 4.2 motor over an up market revving rocket but I happen to be a bird watcher too with a nice Nikon camera and lens and binoculars too.
    I envy you your God given location.
    Regards,
    Col.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Col.T For This Useful Post:

Lawrence (13th July 2016), Rossco (11th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t reckon there’s a lot more to say after Col’s post ..... unless you can get a later model 4.2 ......even then you need a few more revs than a non turbo model, just not as much as 3.0, but then I would like things both ways, particularly when a 3.0 leaves me effortlessly at the lights.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

PatrolTico (20th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 3ltr is on max boost by 1800rpm. .
    Throw a set of reduction gears at it and your crawling no issues..

Imo Cols post is all but null and void..
    Granted in high range it's noticeable that a bit of pedal is now needed at take off..
    But you still need rpm for a td42 turbo to perform aswell..
    Maybe talking 300 rpm difference..

Imo it's more a question of if you want take the risk of the zd30..
    I'd say 09 is quite safe as its a crd.. but if your comparing it to and 06 I'd say the 09 has far more miles on the clock..

Sure I regret selling my td42..
    But I think it's more to do with history.. my Olds bought the car when I was 5..
    But I love the zd30 crd.. I wouldn't go back..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    I don’t reckon there’s a lot more to say after Col’s post ..... unless you can get a later model 4.2 ......even then you need a few more revs than a non turbo model, just not as much as 3.0, but then I would like things both ways, particularly when a 3.0 leaves me effortlessly at the lights.

I agree, it annoys me watching the 3.0L take off at the lights and they flog away in front of me, but then I dont care, as my 4.2 will tow my Van, where a 3.0L wont
    my turbo kicks in at 1800rpm and goes all the way to 3200rpm and I only run 8lb of boost

horses for courses PatrolTico, I had my 1989 GQ TB42 (Y60) for 8 years and only went to the GU (Y61) because I wanted a TD42 to tow with

all depends on what you want to do with it, how often you take it off road, etc

good luck with your decision
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Col.T, that´s great to hear you are a bird watcher! only bad thing is that you are using a Nikon camera... (joking!)

Hope you can make it to CR some time! Thanks a ton for your reply!

El tico!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why not throw some $$$ at the patrol you have now, it will save buying and kitting up another 4x4,$$$$
    The one you have now you must know intimately by now with all its quirks etc.
    Grab a pad and pencil and write down all thats needed to bring it back to its former glory,,it may be cheaper than you think???
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (20th July 2016), Col.T (2nd August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 for threedogs comment, I would rather spend some coin on the mechanicals of my GQ if it needed it than spend it on a newer truck, so long as it doesn't have terminal rust, or some other serious reason to get rid of it.

Albeit, my truck is in good nick for its age, and I have spent a lot of time and effort setting it up to suit our use. That and I personally love the old GQ's, and I just made peace with the fact I will need to do some preventative maintenance each year to keep it sweet.

Just my opinion :-)
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...