Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glow plugs not working and other electrical issues

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glow plugs not working and other electrical issues

hi guys unfortunatly i had a slight disaster after drowning my in a water crossing. water came in up the seats. now my glow plugs are not working the light comes on dash and goes out straight away. cant even hear the relay click. im guessing the control module for the glow plugs in the drivers foot well is stuffed due to the water. im not very cluey with electronics and beleive if i wire in a momentary switch this will help sort out my problem. can anyone explain to me how to do this in a novice sort of way.

also im hoping its just a globe however i lost a headlight also during this ordeal. first of all it lost low beam only and highbeam worked on it then nothing on it would this just be a globe or something more serious?

forgot to mention this is on a GU series 1 TD42t
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar
    Future mods: Intercooler, more boost, dual batteries, drop links for sway bar

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your not going to like this answer
    but

the best thing you can do is strip it down - interior, etc - and try using a heat gun underneath the dash around the wiring

the reason why Insurance Companies write off drowned cars, is because unless you do a full strip & re-build, you will never get rid of all the gremlins in the wiring etc and will be forever chasing intermittent faults

good luck, and have a lot of patience, you will get it sorted eventually
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would try cleaning and drying the glow plug module first. Give it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and let it fully dry before refitting.

A momentary switch can be used instead of the module.

A basic setup won't bring on the glow plug warning light in the dash. You would need to use a relay as well as a momentary switch. This is up to you, I can help you with either way.

If you do want to bypass the glow plug module there a two different system fitted to the GUs. I will need to know which one is fitted to your vehicle.

Does your vehicle have a dropping resistor fitted in the inlet manifold? refer picture.

dropping.jpg

Is it only the headlight on one side of the vehicle? or both sides? Does the high beam warning light in the dash still work? Do you have driving lights connected to the high beam? and do they still work?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highbeam light on dash still works and driving lights are wired to a switch they still work. No to dropping resistor dont have one

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The connector at the glow plug module should look like this.

TD42 Glow module.jpg

You need to splice the two wires from your momentary switch to pin 7 and pin 8.

Pin 7 should be a Brown coloured wire and Pin 8 should be a Green wire with a white stripe.

Ignition switch on press the momentary button in and glow plugs will heat up for as long as you have the button pressed in.

Get a good quality momentary switch.

Sounds like a faulty headlight bulb. You can swap the bulbs from side to side to confirm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks yendor ill look into it i might try and dry it out first if not ill go the switch do i need anythjng else someone said i need a solonoid rated at 100 etc the other issue im having is stereo not working but im assuming its a fuse that i have not looked into yet.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No need for a 100 amp relay. What i have posted above uses the original relay under the bonnet.

I would check all fuses. Did the stereo get wet?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah stereo didnt get only speakers would have or maybe wiring for stereo so ill go through fuses just quickly when the glow plug light comes on and goes out i cant hear relay clicking like i usually do could this be because control module not telling it to work

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it's possible that the glow plug module is faulty. It's normally the first thing that's dies when a vehicle gets flooded.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i just basicly tap/splice into those wires mention and leave them in the plug plugged into the module?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast