Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snatch strap query

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you got in cab winch control switches? That makes it a lot quicker because you literally just push a button and the winch is ready to go.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of winches and dodgey recovery practices, apparently a bloke from work was talking to a ranger up near Gentle Annie, Gembrook / Powely area. Anyway apparently recently a guy was winching himself up the track somewhere there out of the vehicle using a wireless controller, rope snapped then he watched his 4by sail of into the bush by itself! ! But of a lesson to be learnt I'm sure. . .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th June 2016), Winnie (15th June 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Have you got in cab winch control switches? That makes it a lot quicker because you literally just push a button and the winch is ready to go.
    No. As my control box is hidden under the bar and the winch needs to be removed to open it up and wire it in. But. I am removing the winch soon as part of my weight loss program for the engineers so if I can figure out how to wire a switch up I will.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Speaking of winches and dodgey recovery practices, apparently a bloke from work was talking to a ranger up near Gentle Annie, Gembrook / Powely area. Anyway apparently recently a guy was winching himself up the track somewhere there out of the vehicle using a wireless controller, rope snapped then he watched his 4by sail of into the bush by itself! ! But of a lesson to be learnt I'm sure. . .
    Aww god! I dunno whats worse. Watching your pride and joy roll backwards into the trees or actually being in it and having that pucker moment before hitting the brakes to stop it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    No. As my control box is hidden under the bar and the winch needs to be removed to open it up and wire it in. But. I am removing the winch soon as part of my weight loss program for the engineers so if I can figure out how to wire a switch up I will.
    I very highly recommend it. One of the best things I did when I did the high mount.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Rossco (16th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I installed the high mount I have only used the snatchy once on the ute, where the person behind me was bogged, and I had a precisely 0% chance of turning around on the wet hill I was on.

Other than that, I have used it with the gu in the last few weekends in the mud, only been fairly light work. But even then you can still feel the jolt, and so I only do light work.

The only times I would use a snatch are:

When a winch just isn't possible.

When someone just can't quite make it out, and they don't need much, just a slight tow.

To pull someone out of a boghole where they are taking on water. (Still won't go stupid, and if it doesn't work I will revert to winching, and the fault is all theirs)

And on the beach I normally just reach for the good old snatchy aswell

Everything else is normally safer and quicker for me to use the winch. (And definitely go in cab controls, sooooo good!!)

And yeah, always use rated recovery points, no matter how light the snatch/winch is!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!!!
    My rig HERE http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Moneypit-89-GQ
    WARNING: Towballs used in a recovery can and DO KILL people!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Punderhead For This Useful Post:

Rossco (16th June 2016)

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's alot to be said for reading real world learnt safety and experience tips.

Maybe this is the case I don't know.
    It should be compulsory to have large warning print on snatch strap packaging (or storage bag would be better) with "tips" on how use one.
    And a suggestion for strap size needed for the actual vehicle sizes involved in the recovery.

Thinking duty of care needs to come in here somewhere.
    That being said.
    Tie down points should have a warnings stamped into/near/line of sight , "tie down point only".
    Tow balls for that matter also.
    I work with some dumb sh#ts that would hook up to either of these and think nothing of it.
    Yeah let em hurt themselves!.
    but the problem is, it cost the community,and or, and its normally the case, they hurt or kill an innocent passer by instead.
    rant rant, guess I'm sick of paying taxes to prop up a so n so.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are they really stupid for using those points to snatch recover?
    I think they're only stupid if they know the risk but do it anyway. Otherwise they're just uneducated.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Chubba (28th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    There's alot to be said for reading real world learnt safety and experience tips.

Maybe this is the case I don't know.
    It should be compulsory to have large warning print on snatch strap packaging (or storage bag would be better) with "tips" on how use one.
    And a suggestion for strap size needed for the actual vehicle sizes involved in the recovery.

Thinking duty of care needs to come in here somewhere.
    That being said.
    Tie down points should have a warnings stamped into/near/line of sight , "tie down point only".
    Tow balls for that matter also.
    I work with some dumb sh#ts that would hook up to either of these and think nothing of it.
    Yeah let em hurt themselves!.
    but the problem is, it cost the community,and or, and its normally the case, they hurt or kill an innocent passer by instead.
    rant rant, guess I'm sick of paying taxes to prop up a so n so.
    A nice idea mate but suppliers/manufacturers are only going to do that if it is; A Required by law or B Going to sell more product (or the same amount at a higher price.)
    If it is required by law, it will be just another thing to yellow sticker or fine 4wd drivers for, even if it is a national snandard and doesn't change from stste to state. If it is introduced by reputable manufacturers, their pricing would have to increase to have the stamping done and they would be at a disadvantage to on line sellers in other countries. Even if the idea was accepted in one way or the other, the legislation and promolgation would take longer than Brexit. I guess the best way is to keep discussing the use and dangers of all this gear and keep each other aware using forums like this one. Look after each other.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If tie down points are only required when shipping a vehicle from overseas - why aren't they removed when they land in Australia? That would solve one of the problems.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast