Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snatch strap query

G'day guys,

Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find this information anywhere..strangely enough.

We've got a 11,000 ARB snatch strap, they didn't have any 8,000 left so upgraded us, our friends have an 8,000 strap (I think).

Question is. Which one do we use? We have a GU patrol and they have an older Triton ute, obviously lighter than us.

Should you use a strap suited to the lighter car, heavier car, the one thats bogged etc? What would you do if you were pulling out a Suzuki Sierra?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MudRunnerTD

Your time to shine mate

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (14th June 2016), MudRunnerTD (14th June 2016), Rossco (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a really important question. The answer is you should use the strap appropriate for the weight. The problem with just going big is the strap is designed to provide kinetic assistance and appropriate stretch according to its rating. If you used your 11k strap pulling out a Zook you might as well use your winch extension strap as it will not stretch at all and will be a bloody solid hit.

You want the snatch to be a gentle stretch and launch via kinetic energy stored in the strap. If the strap doesn't stretch as there is no s not enough weight it will send the impact right through your recover points, chassis and car.

I would be hesitant using the 11k on your GU and wouldn't use it on the triton at all. Save it for if you have your trailer on too. I won a 15k snatch years ago and it's still in the packet!

BUT. Big BUT! Snatch recoveries are over rated. I would rethink a snatch recovery every time if there was a winch option. If it's a heavy bog then leave the snatch in the drawer and run the winch out. Snatch recoveries are dangerous. Shit gets real and people die. Go the winch.

NEVER USE A TOW BALL AS PART OF YOUR RECOVERY. PEOPLE WILL DIE.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Avo (16th June 2016), BigRAWesty (15th June 2016), Cuppa (1st April 2018), Hodge (14th June 2016), MB (14th June 2016), michaelgreeny (15th June 2016), mudnut (15th August 2016), Rossco (14th June 2016), Touses (15th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Snatch strap query

Here is a recovery hook off the front of my GQ that failed during a heavy snatch.

This hook broke and launched via the snatch and fortunately pierced straight through the Long Range Fuel tank of the GQ Ute snatching me. Lucky it hit the diesel fuel cell and not through the rear wall of the ute cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (14th June 2016), MB (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

BUT. Big BUT! Snatch recoveries are over rated. I would rethink a snatch recovery every time if there was a winch option. If it's a heavy bog then leave the snatch in the drawer and run the winch out. Snatch recoveries are dangerous. Shit gets real and people die. Go the winch.
    Very true snatchs have their place but seriously can't remember the last time i used one. If you've got one, winch is much better option, much more controled safe and effective.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (14th June 2016), MudRunnerTD (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    @MudRunnerTD Your time to shine mate
    Not so funny, a little, but as young blokes we watched our old man accidentally rip the bullbar off an ex-Military Rover getting back out of the old old Zeka 'Creek' track from Gatta. Quite a sight to see, entire bullbar launched uphill 35+ degrees and nearly took out his truck. Sound knowledge and experience like MRTD's wasn't really around back then :-(!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th June 2016), Rossco (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Very true snatchs have their place but seriously can't remember the last time i used one. If you've got one, winch is much better option, much more controled safe and effective.
    Yep, used to always go straight for the snatch strap but in the last few years I don't think I have used one?
    I will use the winch every time if it is an option.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Yep, used to always go straight for the snatch strap but in the last few years I don't think I have used one?
    I will use the winch every time if it is an option.
    Any excuse to pull out the high mount . . .

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (15th June 2016), BigRAWesty (15th June 2016), Winnie (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Any excuse to pull out the high mount . . .
    They need to create a 'whip cracking' emoji thingo, have you finished rebuilding mine yet Mr Rossco, just jokes, you're a legend, thanks heaps :-) AB will get around to ordering the parts one of these days ;-) !!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelgreeny View Post
    G'day guys,

Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find this information anywhere..strangely enough.

We've got a 11,000 ARB snatch strap, they didn't have any 8,000 left so upgraded us, our friends have an 8,000 strap (I think).

Question is. Which one do we use? We have a GU patrol and they have an older Triton ute, obviously lighter than us.

Should you use a strap suited to the lighter car, heavier car, the one thats bogged etc? What would you do if you were pulling out a Suzuki Sierra?

Cheers
    Snatch strap rating should be 2 to no more than 3 times the actual weight of the lightest vehicle in the snatch.

If you haven't used the 11,000 Kg one I would take it back as they haven't upgraded you at all.
    All they did was find a way to take your money when they were out of stock of the item you needed rather than get you one in or have you go elsewhere.

... and when snatching out a Sierra use either their strap or the 'laccy out of your jocks
    Last edited by the evil twin; 14th June 2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (15th June 2016), Cuppa (1st April 2018), MB (14th June 2016), michaelgreeny (15th June 2016), MudRunnerTD (14th June 2016), Touses (15th June 2016)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast