Thread: Conversion tb45e to td42

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversion tb45e to td42

Hi all ive just finished my conversion from a TB45e to a TD42 t. Now i havnt done the turbo yet but have been driving my gu around for about 5k with not a problem i started by purchading a td42 about 12 mths ago & have been slowly converting it with the alt on the right side etc but fue to fighting cancer its been a slow slog untill the tb45e died so in went the td42 & i also used the old tb45e TPS instead of fitting the ZD30 pedal if anyone is interested i can post some pics i have done all of this conversion by myself as im a plant mechanic & make any brackets that are required so if anyone wants to know anything drop me a line

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

Touses (13th June 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya bloke, if you got piccies that would be tops. Hope you're kickin that cancers arse!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure a TB45E to TD42 conversion will interest lots of people especially if you've done things a little different to others.
    The mention of TPS suggests you also used the auto trans. I couldn't find a practical way to reuse the TB45 TPS so I used the ZD30 unit.
    I had belt vibration issues with the alternator on the right side so I mounted a tensioner pulley.

It would be good to see pics of what you've done.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome mate, sounds like you have been fairly busy, what with kicking the Big C, and this project

I my self dont need it, but, hey, I would LOVE to see the piccies of what you did, and how you did it, sounds great
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the words of encuragment re the BIG C hopefully its all done & dusted now both cancers were found by accident while chasing problems from a work place accident but onward upward
    I have posted pucs etc before when i did my rear wheel bearings i cant remember how i did it so i will work it out & put up everything that i have its all fairly basic i did find jff45's pist helpfull & we have pretty much done the same thing so i won't bore everyone im surprised about the vibration john ive had no probs yet but have only done approx 5000k so i guess time will tell i did talk to you about the flexplate spacers which i found a set in

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Hopefully the pics work ill chase up more off my pc as for yhe alt conversion its just about the same deal as already listed as for my A C the GQ A/C braket was modded to suit the GU A/C pump ive fitted a td42 dash cluster & with the glow plugs ive purchased a 10sec max adjustable timer that can be used as a N O or N C timer
    Everything else just bolted up i removed the tank fuel pump & extended the pick up & refitted the strainer & fitted a small electric pump (3-4 psi)& filter where the original fuel filter was mounted on the tray underneath
    If anyone has questions ill do my best to answer them
    Cheers bruce

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgoose For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (16th June 2016), jff45 (15th June 2016), Touses (14th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you've basically retained the TB45E intake including throttle body. I see you still also have the MAF in place as well.
    Does that mean you have double return springs for the accelerator? the springs on the TB and on the IP as well? Does that make for a stiffer accelerator pedal?
    Personally, I think it will probably limit your options if you decide to add a turbo.

I'm still keeping my eye out for a TPS for the IP so it can go back to original but I've found them too pricy.
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant to ask, did you do your own bellhousing mod?
    John

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the td42 intake i made a 90 with a mounting plate to suit yhe intake & the TPS & bolted it straight up i did have my hi mount fitted but due to my health just ran out of time & paitence to finish it off so ive just thrown in my out tb45 air filter the maf is only there due to me just using the old A F
    I removed one spring from the tb45 TPS & its perfect ive driven non stop 4 1/2 hrs to my property with no aching ankles/ feet. I have the drain fitted into the sump for the turbo ive just capped it off & have all the fittings to mount it but due to it being hi mount i need to make anothe dump pipe to suit the rest of the after market exhaust so i figured id just run it non turbo until ive made the dump pipe
    Yes i modded the bell housing my self its easy & cheaper than buy parts from certain transmission Co
    I went to the wreckers & just stripped a throttle assy & cable off an hyundi & weldec the cable mount onto the tb45 throttle assy & ran the cable down to the I P the hyundi cable is a short cruise control cable that has a steel shroud on the end i was able to notch it & it slipped straight into the existing I P braket piece of cake it looks like its meant for it once i had it all working i went back to the wreckers & grabbed 4 more cables as spares

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been doing mods on cars since i was a teen ive put 351's into celica's & gotten them rego'd etc so i dont mind making brakets as i go its helping keep my mind off things
    Since ive had it back on the road all ive done to it is service's i didnt even need to adjust the T P S it changes exactly the same as b4 ive disconnected the auto's resistor thats on the firewall years ago so it changes gear quick & sharp which ive found is gr8 when towing
    My intentions are to kit the auto & that should be all i need to do once the turbo is mounted
    I dont usually buy motors from wreckers but this time i hit the jack pot i stripped it down to inspect it & found it had been rebuilt the liners were brand new still with fresh cross hatch
    It runs like a dream & i prefer driving it to my 08 statesman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast