Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator Warning Lamp Circuit Question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I ain't worried about it. Just thought you would like to know about it, cause that is the sort of great guy I am
    But....I am worried about it. ...that is regardless of knowing what a great bloke you are.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    No argument there mate.

The "typical altenator circuit" I downloaded from internet and uploaded here suggest two separate pins(wires) for warning lamp circuit & trigger/field/exciter circuit. So, I was guessing it's been already out there. It's that I just don't have it, 'cos I gota GQ?!
    Your just over thinking it Dom.

The warning light in the dash has two reasons. One it lets the driver know if there's a problem with the alternator. Two it turns the alternator regulator on.

If something happens to the warning light bulb once the alternator is charging this will not affect the charging rate. The alternator/regulator will still charge at the correct rate until the engine is shut down.

If something happens to the sense circuit and it goes open circuit this will not bring on the warning light.

You need to stop looking at the diagram of the other alternator and comparing it with your GQ. They are different. That doesn't make one better then the other.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

dom14 (11th June 2016), mudnut (11th June 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ROFL... and a lot can be bloody frightening
    yes my freind this is true

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I like to over think things as well.

It makes my failures much more spectacular and hurts my head

This can be expressed by the equation - 'Epic Fail' + 'Sore Head' = Alcohol Binge
    where
    Epic Fail = ((Alcohol Binge + Freakin' Awesome Idea) / (I.Q. - Medical Insurance)) to the power 'n' where 'n' is the number of observers
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dom14 (11th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes my failures much more spectacular and hurts my head

This can be expressed by the equation - 'Epic Fail' + 'Sore Head' = Alcohol Binge
    where
    Epic Fail = ((Alcohol Binge + Freakin' Awesome Idea) / (I.Q. - Medical Insurance)) to the power 'n' where 'n' is the number of observers
    That's a damn good equation!
    The exponential in the equation troubles me though. Especially 'cos it represents the observers. That's bloody scary.
    If nobody's watching, then the epic failure comes down to 1.(good news).
    But, anybody's watching, you're heading for trouble with that exponent.
    Equation also suggests lowering alcohol binge helps with alleviating epic failures.
    That can't be right! I would argue for the opposite.
    I would reevaluate that equation if I'm you.
    Particularly the placement of the alcohol binge is very offensive to me
    Last edited by dom14; 11th June 2016 at 03:38 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post

The warning light in the dash has two reasons. One it lets the driver know if there's a problem with the alternator. Two it turns the alternator regulator on.

If something happens to the warning light bulb once the alternator is charging this will not affect the charging rate. The alternator/regulator will still charge at the correct rate until the engine is shut down.

If something happens to the sense circuit and it goes open circuit this will not bring on the warning light.

You need to stop looking at the diagram of the other alternator and comparing it with your GQ. They are different. That doesn't make one better then the other.
    Thanx mate.
    Yeah, I'm beginning to understand that using the above "typical alternator circuit" isn't always that useful to understand how my GQ alternator circuit is wired.

The reason I've been trying to understand how it works is that the idea it would help me to not make any mistakes. My brain is wired in a way, I can do accurate work with electrical circuitry by understanding the basic schematic of the system.

I do admit, I don't seem to have a good understanding of A/C circuitry, and the alternator being a one(three phase one as oppose to the single phase) adds more to the challenge.

I'm picturing the electricity as a flow(of electrons, energy or whatever) when it comes to understanding electrical circuitry, combined with the idea of potential difference between points in a circuitry. Then I get confused at times like with these alternator circuits as it doesn't always make sense to me how it avoid short circuiting itself(as with the alternator warning lamp circuit).

When the alternator isn't running, the warning lamp get grounded via the regulator. I understand that bit.
    But, when the alternator's running, that "grounding"of the lamp circuit wire still happening(I'm assuming).
    But, the problem is that the same wire is getting +12V(approx) via the diode trio. So, the potential at that point of the
    wire where the diode trio positive & lamp wire meet change from +1.5v to +12v(approx) when the alternator's running.

How come that doesn't create a short circuit? I drew few progressively simpler diagrams below to indicate the problem in my head.

My only guess is that there MUST be some kinda of electronic switching happening inside the regulator to prevent that short circuit grounding of the diode trio's +12V via the regulator. That is actually a guess as I don't have a clear idea how the regulator internal circuitry work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was unable to find a regulator circuit diagram so you will have to put up with my very basic modified drawing. Hope this helps.

When the ignition is turned on (engine not running) Current flows from the battery through the alternator warning light down to the alternator. It can't pass through the diode trio. It goes through the regulator and then the field coils back through the regulator and is switch to earth via transistor (T1).

So if we follow the voltage. The battery say has 12 volts. On the ignition switch side of the alternator warning light there is 12 volts. On the other side of the warning light we have your 1.5 volts (alternator warning lights is on, 10.5 volts is dropped across the bulb).

Down at the "L" terminal at the alternator we have 1.5 volts. Inside the alternator at one of the field connections we will also have 1.5 volts. The other side of the field connection will be about 0 volts because transistor T1 has switch to to earth.

The chip also receives the signal to get ready to start regulating.

The alternator warning light is used for 2 reasons.

1. It lets the driver know if there is a problem with the alternator.

2. It supplies a small amount of current to the fields so the alternator starts charging at a reduced rate (like a soft start).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

dom14 (12th June 2016), mudnut (12th June 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Once the engine is running and the alternator is charging we now have 14 volts at the B+ terminal at the alternator, 14 volts at the battery and 14 volts at the ignition switch side of the alternator warning light.

We also now have 14 volts at the Anode side of the diode trio as well as 14 volts on the Cathode side.

This also put 14 volts on the other side of the alternator warning light (14 volts either side of the bulb, warning light turns off)

The alternator field now has 14 volts (was only 1.5 volts) so the alternator can start charging at maximum rate now.

The chip inside the regulator senses the voltage reading on the sense wire "S" and controls power through the field coils via transistor T1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

dom14 (12th June 2016), mudnut (12th June 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah my head hurts when I do this lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

dom14 (12th June 2016)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    That's a damn good equation!
    The exponential in the equation troubles me though. Especially 'cos it represents the observers. That's bloody scary.
    If nobody's watching, then the epic failure comes down to 1.(good news).
    But, anybody's watching, you're heading for trouble with that exponent.
    Equation also suggests lowering alcohol binge helps with alleviating epic failures.
    That can't be right! I would argue for the opposite.
    I would reevaluate that equation if I'm you.
    Particularly the placement of the alcohol binge is very offensive to me
    Haven't you heard the phrase "hold my beer and watch this" nothing bad has ever followed

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

dom14 (12th June 2016), the evil twin (12th June 2016)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast