Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erg block and fuel consumption

Good day to you all
    I have had my EGR blocked on my 2013 st plus but it using more fuel now that before I used to get around 13.7lt/100 around town 350-370km to the half tank but after block its lucky to get 300km to half a tank I have decided to disconnect battery for a while and reconnect it see if that make a difference with the ECU I'm happy that the crud is not going through my motor and havent noticed any problems with turbo spool up and psi generally its sitting around 11psi on hwy at 100kph I
    Is it normal that it'll use more fuel after EGR block ??
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is usual for folk who block their EGR to suffer from increased fuel consumption.

Just as a general point:
    Lots of folk post here telling all that they have blocked their EGR. I expect that most who do so know that it illegal to do so. Many insurance companies state that that the insurance they issue is invalid if the vehicle they are insuring is not fully legal, regardless of whether whatever is illegal about the vehicle conributes to what is being claimed for. Insurance companies often have a habit of trying to find ways of not paying out claims. Nothing to prevent insurance companies reading what folk post on this forum. Point made. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Just as a general point:
    Lots of folk post here telling all that they have blocked their EGR. I expect that most who do so know that it illegal to do so. Many insurance companies state that that the insurance they issue is invalid if the vehicle they are insuring is not fully legal, regardless of whether whatever is illegal about the vehicle conributes to what is being claimed for. Insurance companies often have a habit of trying to find ways of not paying out claims. Nothing to prevent insurance companies reading what folk post on this forum. Point made. What you choose to do with it is up to you.
    Any vehicle on the road can be determined unroadworthy by a walloper, any vehicle with any mods can be considered illegal in anyones book if they have a need/want to give you a bad day.
    A good person I know works for main-roads, he was very clear that TMR are not fussed over cars or 4WD's unless a blatant issue (massive muddies, wheel spacers (yes, any spacer on your wheels is very illegal) and exhaust blowing smoke all over the place Rolling coal is a shit-magnet)).
    Not many coppers or TMR guys know what to look for (or smell, love spotting fools who smash their cat-cons out on their falcadores) and I doubt a EGR block is going to cause mass carnage.

Anyway, OP: normal for fuel burn to decrease when blocking the EGR.
    Please list what you have done so far as NADS go or any other mods.
    There is no legal cure for STUPID!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I blocked my EGR on a 2009 CRD, fuel consumption went up. The way I was explained is, egr blocked = bit more boost = more fuel per boost ratio = more fuel burnt.
    Take that with a grain of pepper if you wish, but that's the way I understood it. Good tune up with needle and dawes after that and she was better then ever and fuel economy was great.
    2005 TD42TI

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as mods I've fitted a catch can (provent ) and Beaudesert 2 3/4 exhaust that's it patrol has done 32,000 km I'll leave it for the next tank and see how it goes whether or not I take it out until I have the cash for intercooler upgrade and Ecu tune ? And the rest of the gauges that one needs
    The car runs better but it would suck loosing 100km out of a tank just for the EGR block ,we will see if disconnecting
    The battery helps ??

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleready76 View Post
    As far as mods I've fitted a catch can (provent ) and Beaudesert 2 3/4 exhaust that's it patrol has done 32,000 km I'll leave it for the next tank and see how it goes whether or not I take it out until I have the cash for intercooler upgrade and Ecu tune ? And the rest of the gauges that one needs
    The car runs better but it would suck loosing 100km out of a tank just for the EGR block ,we will see if disconnecting
    The battery helps ??

Leave it stock and enjoy the good ride the CRD is. Asking for trouble mucking around with their design IMO

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
    Any vehicle on the road can be determined unroadworthy by a walloper, any vehicle with any mods can be considered illegal in anyones book if they have a need/want to give you a bad day.
    A good person I know works for main-roads, he was very clear that TMR are not fussed over cars or 4WD's unless a blatant issue (massive muddies, wheel spacers (yes, any spacer on your wheels is very illegal) and exhaust blowing smoke all over the place Rolling coal is a shit-magnet)).
    Not many coppers or TMR guys know what to look for (or smell, love spotting fools who smash their cat-cons out on their falcadores) and I doubt a EGR block is going to cause mass carnage.
    Yeah.
    We all know that, but it misses the point I made.
    Advertising one's illegality on a public forum was the point I was referring to, not whether is was likely to get you into trouble during a routine inspection by the Police or Road traffic people.
    Personally I wouldn't be advertising it if I had done something illegal 'cos it might come back to bite me. It's just about managing risk though. Like I said, what you choose to do is up to you. No skin off my nose.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Leave it stock and enjoy the good ride the CRD is. Asking for trouble mucking around with their design IMO
    Is this from experience and why if you know.
    Don't know much about the CRD and EGR block.
    2012 GU8

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty00 View Post
    Is this from experience and why if you know.
    Don't know much about the CRD and EGR block.

Well I did block mine for about a week and didn't like how it was behaving(over boosting) so took it out.
    Yes I could have fixed it with dowes and needle valve but why change something that works well. Also too many stories of trouble others were having with the block.

I only have the beaudesert 2 3/4 inch exhaust as an engine mod and couldn't be happier with the Patrol

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (6th June 2016), rusty00 (6th June 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep 10 mins to put it in and just as easy to take it out as I said I'll give it another 1/4 tank or so see how it goes and take it out if I wish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast