Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How I fixed the exhaust leaks on manifold & flange surface

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming an RB30 looking at the manifold and your signature.....?

Anyway, RB30 has a pretty strong bottom end, heads are ordinary but workable but even better, Stronger guts are not hard to find considering the mass of VL Turbo A/M parts and the Skyline crowds. Make a strong bottom end, find an RB25DET head, modify the the two jacket ports and go nuts. There are plenty of A/M ECU mobs out there that will easily let the donk start and run on shipped tune.

I spose though, like everything Patrol, either Nissan skimped on shit and now will cost $$$ to make decent or you just start with a decent platform and enjoy it. Still needs $$ somewhere though.
    There is no legal cure for STUPID!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LostBenji For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th June 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
    I am assuming an RB30 looking at the manifold and your signature.....?

Anyway, RB30 has a pretty strong bottom end, heads are ordinary but workable but even better, Stronger guts are not hard to find considering the mass of VL Turbo A/M parts and the Skyline crowds. Make a strong bottom end, find an RB25DET head, modify the the two jacket ports and go nuts. There are plenty of A/M ECU mobs out there that will easily let the donk start and run on shipped tune.

I spose though, like everything Patrol, either Nissan skimped on shit and now will cost $$$ to make decent or you just start with a decent platform and enjoy it. Still needs $$ somewhere though.
    Yeah, I like RB25DET head, being multivalve, it would give a really good boost without turbo, wouldn't it?!! Also would be good for LPG.
    RB25 means getting a matching inlet and exhaust as well?!!
    Standard VL intake & exhaust won't do, am I right?!

My stock RB30 Patrol motor has 330K+ on it now. It's got a fair bit of blow-by already.
    That's why I'm bit concerned about high mileage RB30 turbos.
    If it blows oil like this when naturally aspirated, then it would blow it like hell when turboed.
    Last edited by dom14; 7th June 2016 at 01:01 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any smaller motor like the RB30 in a bigger vehicle like a Pat should look at boosted induction to compensate for lack or power/torque needed to really move and control the weight.

The RB25DET head is almost a bolt-on option and the manifolds for them can be stolen off a Skyline or VL commo. The multi-valve will allow better breathing but also way high revs, all the way to 9K if your bottom end held.

A couple of options lay for you but the current and tired donk you have now is not one of them. Engine conversion is a good way to get more cubes along with a strong engine to start with. You will already know the common choices for conversions like the LS motors and the likes but you also can go the older V8's like the good old 5.0L out of the Holdens that produce great bottom end and a even better exhaust note. They respond well to PD blowers as well. Another option is in this field is to swap in a TB42 and do her up. Strong, straight 6 that also respond well to turbos and running straight gas would allow a good matching. Great power with still good economy when needed.

Otherwise, source another RB30 block and start a fresh build on it with all the trimmings, then do a swap at a time that suits you rather than being off the roads for weeks or months while you rebuild the sad one if it lets go.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, from fixing an exhaust leak to engine swapping a built turbo donk. That escalated quickly!

>>>tappin from tassie
    Last edited by taslucas; 7th June 2016 at 08:00 AM.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th June 2016), threedogs (8th June 2016), Throbbinhood (7th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,355 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBenji View Post
    Any smaller motor like the RB30 in a bigger vehicle like a Pat should look at boosted induction to compensate for lack or power/torque needed to really move and control the weight.

The RB25DET head is almost a bolt-on option and the manifolds for them can be stolen off a Skyline or VL commo. The multi-valve will allow better breathing but also way high revs, all the way to 9K if your bottom end held.

A couple of options lay for you but the current and tired donk you have now is not one of them. Engine conversion is a good way to get more cubes along with a strong engine to start with. You will already know the common choices for conversions like the LS motors and the likes but you also can go the older V8's like the good old 5.0L out of the Holdens that produce great bottom end and a even better exhaust note. They respond well to PD blowers as well. Another option is in this field is to swap in a TB42 and do her up. Strong, straight 6 that also respond well to turbos and running straight gas would allow a good matching. Great power with still good economy when needed.

Otherwise, source another RB30 block and start a fresh build on it with all the trimmings, then do a swap at a time that suits you rather than being off the roads for weeks or months while you rebuild the sad one if it lets go.
    I would like the extra grunt you gain from all that, but for simplicity. You are turning the vehicle into a racehorse, where a donkey will suffice. The gearboxes aren't that crash hot either. I like the idea of carrying a fuel pump motor and a carby in the back.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I would like the extra grunt you gain from all that, but for simplicity. You are turning the vehicle into a racehorse, where a donkey will suffice. The gearboxes aren't that crash hot either. I like the idea of carrying a fuel pump motor and a carby in the back.
    Yeah, simplicity serves on long treks on isolated tracks. I carry a dizzy, ignition coil, leads, carby, starter, alternator, LPG converter, etc etc.
    The only downside with RB30 stock engine is towing can be bit of a pain, depending on the weight of the van. Mine is a simple, lightweight old van, but still the troll struggles to tow it uphills.
    You can't have everything though. Dual fuel is pretty handy to have. LPG is hard and expensive to come by in the outback.
    So, having auxiliary LPG tanks hasn't always helped me. It's not that practical to make dual fuel turbo with an RB30(somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong). Even if you can, I don't think it can be done that cheaply.
    I'm yet to see a dual fuel RB30 turbo! May be it's doable, but too expensive and fiddly?!!

I do get frustrated by the RB30 NA lack of power at times. Like in life, you can't have everything. It's either simplicity & reliability or trade that for more power.
    Last edited by dom14; 9th June 2016 at 02:54 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, I'd assume unless you put a spacer on the head to lower the comps a bit, you'd be limited to 98RON which can be hard to come by in some areas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Plus, I'd assume unless you put a spacer on the head to lower the comps a bit, you'd be limited to 98RON which can be hard to come by in some areas.
    Turbo RB30's use a slightly thicker head gasket, don't they?!

If I do the turbo conversion, I can't imagine doing it just for LPG( or petrol).
    I prefer the choice dual fuel gives me.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends of the pistons used (rebuilt donk for grunt likely to have non-stock pistons) and the cylinder volume.

If you wan't a reliable Outbacker to carry spares, loose the RB30 and run a TB42 or V8 conversion.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LostBenji For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,355 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Running straight gas is what I have been advised by a good mechanic, that to get the real benefits of gas/turbo.

I will never have another vehicle that runs dual fuel, or one that's been converted to gas. The amount of times my family, friends and myself have been stranded because of
    faulty workmanship, foreign matter in the gas, and wiring faults has put me off it.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

dom14 (7th June 2016), threedogs (8th June 2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast