Thread: Zd30 to td42 conversion

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zd30 to td42 conversion

Going to look at a 3ltr patrol that has had the intercooled td42 transplant done. Just wondering if the drivetrain was the same in the zd30 and td42 or if the bigger motor would damage it in time to come. It will be the wife's daily drive and used to pull our 2.7t van. What are your thoughts on this modification?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, my brother just bought a gu that had the same conversion, as far as I know the gearboxes are the same but the bellhousing would have had to be changed. The diffs are the same right through all GU wagons as far as I know. I myself coverted a 2.8 to a 4.2 and had to change the gearboxs as the 2.8 one is tiny compared to the 4.2. Im 99% sure the 3.0 is the same as 4.2 apart from the bellhousing. Happy to be corrected on any of this

Cheers, Danny
    .................................................. .............
    1998 GU wagon - 2.8 out - mighty 4.2 in. Locked front and rear with 4.6 ratios. 4 inch heavy duty coils. Tough dog adjustable shocks. Too much to mention and hopefully more to come.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing I would suggest to look at is where the engine mounts are welded to the chassis, these have to be changed and you would want to make sure that the welds arn't cracked ect

Cheers, Danny
    1998 GU wagon - 2.8 out - mighty 4.2 in. Locked front and rear with 4.6 ratios. 4 inch heavy duty coils. Tough dog adjustable shocks. Too much to mention and hopefully more to come.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been and had a look he has swapped it all out and used factory 4.2 gbox and bell housing, re welded the mounts. It all looks the goods but has a loud knock when cold and takes a while to disappear and get full oil pressure.My last one didn't do that. It is alright when hot but something is a miss somewhere. Don't really want to tangle with that sort of stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough mate. All I can say about the knock is that mine has the worst knock/rattle that I have heard come from any other TD42. It sounds like tappets but had them adjusted with no difference to the sound. It does get a little better when it warms up but still very nasty sounding. I haven't been able to find anyone who can explain what is the cause however it has been doing this for 6 years and hasn't worried it so far. Not saying its ok but it hasn't died yet, lol.
    Anyway mate, if your not keen on this one good luck on the hunt for a better one

Cheers, Danny