The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    It's worrying just how little weight most 4X4s can tow and carry legally. It's even more worrying how difficult it is to understand all the rules and acronyms they use when explaining why such a large vehicle as a Patrol can only tow and carry so little in weight.

There would not be many Patrols out there towing reasonably large vans that are doing it legally.
    Agreed. I threw mine over the scales last week, empty, and got a bit of a surprise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th June 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Agreed. I threw mine over the scales last week, empty, and got a bit of a surprise.
    Where did you go Mark ? I desperately need a scale to go to.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BP Western hwy outbound about 5k before the turn off to 4x4 Obsession. Cost $18 from memory.
    I think its just after the Caroline Springs overpass. Cant miss it anyhow. It even says weigh bridge on the sign as you enter.
    Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th June 2016), Hodge (7th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of interest ........... what does 'laminating' a dif involve, & how does allow for a GVM increase? I'm guessing it is a method of strengthening the diff(s) to allow for a greater. axle weight, but given that a GVM increase also involves things like suspension, tyres & brakes I don't get how strengthening just one component could get the GVM increased?

I recall the place who fitted my GVM upgrade telling me they could fit springs to increase weight carrying capacity to whatever was wanted within reason, but it wouldn't increase the GVM. I was shown an older Volvo station wagon which had had all bar the front seats removed & the full back floor area was filled with big batteries. I don't know what the purpose was, nor how many batteries, but at a guess there would have been at least 40 batteries - and a weight of at least a tonne & quite possibly 1.5 tonnes. The car was sitting level, from the outside it would never have been apparent it had that sort of weight in it.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a photo of a laminated diff cuppa

>>>tappin from tassie
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on Cuppa. . Laminating is welding strength plates to the diff..
    My rear is done under the diff from pumpkin to outter edges..
    When I did my gq front I placed it onto to radius arm plates and then some knuckle gussets..
    My gu also has the superior tower braces in..
    But as mentioned only rated to 3.495T.
    I'm wondering if they can't get 3.5T out of a coil wagon..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the kit for the front..
    Of course only one side is done due to off set center..
    But the rear has the box both sides
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason the rear diff is laminated on a coil sprung vehicle in order to carry more weight is because the pivot / contact point where the spring connects to the diff housing is a fair distance inboard from the wheel bearing (unlike a leaf sprung car where the bottom of the spring contacts the diff housing closer to the wheel bearing). The laminations strengthen the housing at that point by transfering the down weight along more of the diff rather than the small contact point.

I hope I have used the correct terminology.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th June 2016), MB (10th June 2016), Wizard52 (25th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    The reason the rear diff is laminated on a coil sprung vehicle in order to carry more weight is because the pivot / contact point where the spring connects to the diff housing is a fair distance inboard from the wheel bearing (unlike a leaf sprung car where the bottom of the spring contacts the diff housing closer to the wheel bearing). The laminations strengthen the housing at that point by transfering the down weight along more of the diff rather than the small contact point.

I hope I have used the correct terminology.
    Yep. Totally agree..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Kallen and Bill
    Yes I totaly agree how ever my certifying engineer will only certify the leaf spring axel not the coil as the lamination modification is not a Nissan job so would need to find another engineer to certify before lamination.
    Other wise it's find a complete rear leaf spring assembly from the wreckers and then cary out the mod under the engineers supervision to get the upgrade.
    He has agreed to this so looks like the way to go as the only other way is 6X4 and as I'm 7.2m long now I definitely don't want that (how ever a GVM of 4.9t and 3 sets of disc brakes makes it atractive)
    Regards
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast