Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GU GVM upgrade

Hi Folks
    I Have a GVM upgrade by Peders to 3.45T and need to go to 3.9T (I'm grosly over weight)
    It seems the Leaf spring rear axel allows that (both OME and Peders have kits)
    So this means changing from rear coil to leaf spring.
    Has any one done this and if so was it sucessfull?
    Regards
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeG For This Useful Post:

Burgz (1st January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMO it would seem far more practical and probably far cheaper to sell your current Ute and buy a Leafy Ex Telstra which will come with a GVM Upgrade, probably only to 3.4t but with the leafs already.

3.9t is getting very heavy! especially for a Ute! what is your load? maybe an Iveco or something would be far better suited to your needs.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    IMO it would seem far more practical and probably far cheaper to sell your current Ute and buy a Leafy Ex Telstra which will come with a GVM Upgrade, probably only to 3.4t but with the leafs already.

3.9t is getting very heavy! especially for a Ute! what is your load? maybe an Iveco or something would be far better suited to your needs.
    All GU leafy utes have a GVM of 3400kg, not just Ex Telstra.
    Most GVM upgrades for these only increase GVM to 3700kg, Lovells is 3900kg but is not cheap, especially if a 4.2. (The Lovells kit approval is for 3L Patrols so requires 'engineering approval' for 4.2). All up mine was $5200 in 2013. $1200 was the engineers fees

As for converting a coil ute to a leaf ute - I agree, probably cheaper & less drama to change utes. If doing that it may be worth looking for one with a gvm upgrade already.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudrunner
    I've been running 3.9T for 5 years (thinging it was less) however the allowable load is 3.5T . my engineer will sign off on 3.9T with a leaf spring back end
    (OME ans Lovels have these off the shelf) hence why I want to do the conversion.
    My load is around 700KG but the extra fuel and water for central crossings bring me up another 200KG hence the need for 3.9GVM
    a single cab is not suitable as we need a dual cab or at least a extra cab.
    we have mucked around with lighter dual cabs and found them wanting and not reliable hence the switch to Nissan Patrol and it has not missed a beat
    all we need now is to raise the GVM and be legal
    Regards
    Joe
    2010-DX Patrol Dual Cab Chassis, Front LOKKA, 3500kg GVM, 4.8 front brakes! (now stops like it should!), 4.625 Diffs (now drives like it should) 35"Mud tires, 3"exhaust, Rear air bags

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What cuppa said X 2

IMHO it woud be simpler to get a Leafy Ute and upgrade to a King Cab or drop a wagon chop body on it.

At 4 ton I would be looking at an expedition truck setup myself... those Ivecos are seriously awesome off road for example
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Evil and Cuppa
    Yes I looked at the Toyota dual cab befor moding the Patrol
    Although the Toyota was a dual cab it needed a chasis streach and then a GVM upgrade so it could have a 2.4m tray and carry 1.1T
    The Iveco was not available at the time and is still questionable re service and dealer availability.
    So it seems a leaf spring conversion and a happy certifying engineer is the way to go.
    Possibly in 10 years time when the Patrol is at end of useful life (only use it for trips) we will look at a 5th wheel unit as mobility for us will also become a major issue by then
    Regards
    Joe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to Paul at Statewide 4X4 (03 9484 7838). They laminate the rear diff housing on coil sprung Patrols to increase the GVM. Not sure how high they can go.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    Talk to Paul at Statewide 4X4 (03 9484 7838). They laminate the rear diff housing on coil sprung Patrols to increase the GVM. Not sure how high they can go.
    They did mine as an ex ses vehicle.
    3490kg is it..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    They did mine as an ex ses vehicle.
    3490kg is it..
    OK. I hear they are developing new kits all he time. Won't hurt to call.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worrying just how little weight most 4X4s can tow and carry legally. It's even more worrying how difficult it is to understand all the rules and acronyms they use when explaining why such a large vehicle as a Patrol can only tow and carry so little in weight.

There would not be many Patrols out there towing reasonably large vans that are doing it legally.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (7th June 2016)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast