OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OME for GQ - what level springs for towing?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OME for GQ - what level springs for towing?

Hi all,
    I have 1991 GQ 4.2 diesel and am about to replace springs and shockies (shocks are getting soft) with OME from ARB. So car is used for daily use of course, but have just ordered a Tvan from Track Trailer and intend doing lots of remote travel over the next few years. ATM of Tvan will be 1500kg,(ball weight I estimate at 180kg) plus I have a 48kg dog in back, and fridge. Thinking I might get long range (145lt) tank to replace existing.
    So talking to ARB store they reckon I should get their strongest springs. That maybe so. What do you folk think?
    Secondly, would this put extra strain on the shock towers which I have heard can crack under heavy load/rough country?
    Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely brace the shock towers. A couple of options. A bolt in cup which is pretty cool I think or the Superior brace kit. Sorry no links but plenty of info about on both options.

If you go the brave kit then a real option would be poly airbags in the back and a slightly softer spring for daily driving. Inflate the bags when towing.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OME for GQ - what level springs for towing?

Here some more info for you.

The Google search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 30th May 2016 at 10:17 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (2nd June 2016), MB (2nd June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my ome kit in the gq a bit harsh on the road.
    But it took everything with ease..
    And they lasted well..
    8 years I had the gq for and still going strong when I recently sold it..
    Imo..
    I'd fit a softer set of springs to suit your everyday driving.
    Then if needed (the T Vans ain't that heavy..) fit some in spring air bags to assist the extra towing weight..

Now bracing is a good insurance..
    I personally never did but it was always on my mind when doing big trips and the old Q looking like something from National Lampoon Vacation..........

As darren has pointed out there are 2 main options both with pros and cons..

The Boss kit (first shown) is a great simple easy kit to fit but imo isn't as good as the superior kit.
    My reason is simple.
    The Boss kit still applies 100% of the load to the one area.
    Where as the superior kit spreads the load over a few square feet area of chassis either side..
    It braces to both chassis cross members either side..
    But as darren said have a read, there is heaps of info and quite a few members running each setup here..

Cheers
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thansk for info. I forgot to mention I have polyair in back springs. ARB thought that they might not fit length-wine with new springs.
    Oh well, lots to followup on.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'd be double checking your ball weight and confirm whatever it is.
    bracing the shock towers thats a given, I also think air assist in the
    rear may be the way to go as well. A well tailored suspension system
    for towing will have a slight downhill look about it,,, then hooked up and loaded
    it will sit flat. Only saying that as it may ride very harshly when unloaded.
    It needs a bit of thought put into it IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

9. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (31st May 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Threedogs,
    Yes indeed, the business of ball weight. I have recently sold my caravan and it had a b/weight of 200kg (ATM1750) and current suspension with 20lbs of air in rear springs worked really well. The Tvan b/weight empty is quoted at 90kg, and the ATM is 1500kg so I'm guessing at saying maybe 180kg. I will take particular notice of this and will have asked on the Tvan forum what b/weights others have found.
    You are also damn right about lots of thought; this post is part of that process. Nothing is just straight forward, is it? Gut feeling is that the ARB strongest spring set will be too harsh and would think their middle of the range will be the way to go. We'll see. Thanks for your reply.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (31st May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Poly airs will go straight in the OME springs. if you are getting a 2" lift to replace a stock height then Polyair sell a 2" spacer to fit into the system. They are a Vendor here so ask them the question.

I think you should forget about your towing setup and assume the Polyairs will sort that out and set it up for your normal usage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st June 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MudrunnerTD, I reckon I agree. I feel the strongest/hardest set will be over the top. Also not getting a lift, but the new springs might sit a bit higher.
    We'll see. Thanks everyone

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2" lift is really nice mate. If your going to use your GQ and camper off-road then a 2" lift would suit you well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast