Thread: Bunyip state forest

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunyip state forest

Was thinking of giving a few tracks a crack, what are good tracks to hit as I'm just starting out with this vehicle and want to see what it's capabilities are

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done it but Ellis Track is in that area and is considered the hardest track in Vic.
    Extreme 4wding. Not a track to start learning on though.
    Here's a thread that will warn you off.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...esburn-30-1-16
    Last edited by Chubba; 20th May 2016 at 09:57 AM.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of tracks in there ranging from road travel to wild, but I tend to steer clear of Bunyip, Toolangi, and the like really close to Melbourne, as the tracks are all ripped up by non-tread lightly crowd ...

I haven't been in there for quite a while and aren't sure of the current state of the tracks, but if you are just beginning, I would find someone to go with for backup as it can all go pear shaped pretty quickly, and without the right recovery gear it can be a long day....

Alternatively, tag along on one of the Vic Trips that the guys put up on here, as it is great to meet others doing the same thing, and they can offer a little bit of help, encouragement, a few hints and show you some of their tricks, and you will have lots of fun but will do it in a way that gets you home safe and sound too.
    Last edited by happygu; 20th May 2016 at 10:11 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd May 2016)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    I've never done it but Ellis Track is in that area and is considered the hardest track in Vic.
    Ellis Track isn't in Bunyip.

Muskee, it really depends on your setup.

With the wet weather lately, the following tracks you'd want good 35" muddies and a winch.
    - Robertsons Trk
    - Bullock Link
    - Sisters Trk(37's)
    - Westerns Track
    - Gentle Annie
    - Little Bunyip
    - Nash Creek Loop

You could probably do some of these on smaller muddies without winching, but after last nights rain I personally wouldn't bother without at least a winch and a good set of muddies, plus another car or two.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

happygu (20th May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post

Muskee, it really depends on your setup.

With the wet weather lately, the following tracks you'd want good 35" muddies and a winch.
    - Robertsons Trk
    - Bullock Link
    - Sisters Trk(37's)
    - Westerns Track
    - Gentle Annie
    - Little Bunyip
    - Nash Creek Loop

You could probably do some of these on smaller muddies without winching, but after last nights rain I personally wouldn't bother without at least a winch and a good set of muddies, plus another car or two.
    This is Great Advice ...

So I see it hasn't changed much .... I had heard they ran the bulldozer through there a couple of years back and cleaned it all up but I didn't want to comment too much as I hadn't been in there lately - but it looks like it is still the same, definitely not a solo car trip.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    This is Great Advice ...

So I see it hasn't changed much .... I had heard they ran the bulldozer through there a couple of years back and cleaned it all up but I didn't want to comment too much as I hadn't been in there lately - but it looks like it is still the same, definitely not a solo car trip.
    They grade the tracks, but hard clay, hills and rain means it's just a slippery fun mess..

At least the ruts help you keep it straight, without them it can be really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    Whoooops..........
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard yesterday that another of it had been graded again and the tracks that hasn't been graded guys with 37s were getting stuck. I've got mickey Thompson 35's front and rear air lockers, winch, and portal axles which raise the diff 5 inches from standard. I like bunyip because it's close to where I live. What is neerim and labortouche like? I've done all tis on dirtbike but would like some intermediate stuff to test the new rig out. If anyone's keen for trips to these places I would love to t something up. Getting a main tank fitted next week n will b sweet to rock n roll

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was up there 3 weeks ago on the Moto and 4be the tracks are easy to wild.
    Easy is,
    Western both sides, gentle anny, Andersons, little bunyip, Nash creek loop tk ridge tk and tea tree.
    Heading out towards the sisters tks it can change quickly.
    Here it stars easy and stays this way going down hill with over grown areas and bush pin striping.
    There are same nice hill climbing with rutted sections that will test anyone out.
    Main tks are,
    Walker, sisters, Phasmid 1 & 2 sections, ridge tk with other that wind between these.
    The swamp section out back is super boggy and challenging even on the Moto and time consuming in the 4x4.
    Seen plenty of units stuck here.
    One hidden tk for ultra tough challengers is sunset tk.
    This is closed but have seen rigs up and down super hard on the Moto for my level of riding.
    If some want to explore this area I can show them.
    I don't have a winch and only 33's but will shotgun for those who have the rigs to tackle these tracks.
    A winch is needed for a step clay section, not much to winch from either, most go down not up.
    2012 GU8

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskee84 View Post
    I heard yesterday that another of it had been graded again and the tracks that hasn't been graded guys with 37s were getting stuck. I've got mickey Thompson 35's front and rear air lockers, winch, and portal axles which raise the diff 5 inches from standard. I like bunyip because it's close to where I live. What is neerim and labortouche like? I've done all tis on dirtbike but would like some intermediate stuff to test the new rig out. If anyone's keen for trips to these places I would love to t something up. Getting a main tank fitted next week n will b sweet to rock n roll
    Neerim has everything from basic to super hard.
    They are closing tracks all the time but lots are still there to enjoy.
    Haven't done much 4wd there but lots on the Moto.
    It's one of those places you just pick a section and explore, go here go there until you find another section.
    Happy to have a play there with what I know.
    They will close some tks from QB weekend but lots ar still open.
    2012 GU8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast