Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Thanks for that mate.

I got out and measured up my springs and shocks etc.

My current setup is:
    FL Spring
    420mm with 19.3mm wire. 9 coils.

RR Spring
    530mm with 19.3mm wire. 12 coils.

I'm tipping they are heavy heavy duty

My front suspension max travel (between shock mounts) is 585mm. This was with everything unbolted except the radius arm (no steering arms/shock/sways). I can see why guys run superflex arms. I undid the front radius bolt and the whole setup was able to drop heaps more - with 630mm until my spring became loose.

On compression to just touching bump it was 430mm with 80 series bumps. So from my reading I should take another 100mm for safety as a minimum with them.

Call it 330mm compressed shock length with no mods is that pretty standard?

So if I was to fit 10" fox (16.1" closed = 408.94mm call it 410mm) I would need 70-80mm worth of bump/tower mods. Considering doing a 40-50mm tower lift (what I can fit) as I like the idea of more up travel, with the rest on the bump?
    10" fox has ~ 660mm extension, minus any tower lift ~ 610mm max extension from current shock mounts. I have 585mm max drop currently so that should fit nicely??

Rear maximum extension with swaybar connected is 695mm, no swaybar is 785mm. On compression I had 450mm between shock mounts on bump contact (factory bump), so take another 50mm, 400mm with bump compressed.

The 11" fox compressed is 435mm extended is 714mm. So for extension it would suit nicely with 40-50mm bump mods?

Haha lots of Q's in there, just trying to get my head around it all before I decide on spending serious cash.

Thanks
    @bigguwesty have you got your shocks/springs in yet?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    What lift are you working off of?
    My measurements are for a 2" lift.
    I suspect your may be more..

I'm personally going to adjust up travel in mine as the front springs are very far apart and I doubt I'll have any coil bind issues with lifting the front shock mount 25 - 30mm.
    Will just need to hole the wheel arch to get the top bolt threw..

As for rears well again I'm only going the 2" so I've simply gone the progressive bump stops.
    Again they compress heaps so will have to work out if I need to extend or not..

With the rear it depends on how extreme you wish to go.
    You could modify the top shock mounts and move them up and in to give you a greater shock length.. but that's a fair bit of work..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also for those wondering I enquired with Matt (Prodiesel) about rebuild/servicing costs. New oil/gas and some basic seals is around $85 ea. Or with a tune $155 ea. Cheaper then buying new normal shocks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (29th September 2016), MudRunnerTD (30th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    What lift are you working off of?
    My measurements are for a 2" lift.
    I suspect your may be more..

I'm personally going to adjust up travel in mine as the front springs are very far apart and I doubt I'll have any coil bind issues with lifting the front shock mount 25 - 30mm.
    Will just need to hole the wheel arch to get the top bolt threw..

As for rears well again I'm only going the 2" so I've simply gone the progressive bump stops.
    Again they compress heaps so will have to work out if I need to extend or not..

With the rear it depends on how extreme you wish to go.
    You could modify the top shock mounts and move them up and in to give you a greater shock length.. but that's a fair bit of work..
    Thanks mate. Overall spring lift height doesn't change the max/min shock mount points just where with the shocks stroke it is sitting at ride height? So how much up / down travel the shock has left? A shorter ride height will give a higher down travel ratio vs a higher lift with more potential for up travel within the shock?
    Mine has a 3 inch lift but for all shock measurements springs were not involved.

Yeah i figured moving rear mounts was more trouble than I am going to go to. I will do like yourself and make a hole for the top of the spring tower.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Thanks mate. Overall spring lift height doesn't change the max/min shock mount points just where with the shocks stroke it is sitting at ride height? So how much up / down travel the shock has left? A shorter ride height will give a higher down travel ratio vs a higher lift with more potential for up travel within the shock?
    Mine has a 3 inch lift but for all shock measurements springs were not involved.

Yeah i figured moving rear mounts was more trouble than I am going to go to. I will do like yourself and make a hole for the top of the spring tower.

Yea that's cool but yea the extra coil count for what you have is for the lift..
    So the fronts are similar to mine but the rears maybe a bit lighter..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Yea that's cool but yea the extra coil count for what you have is for the lift..
    So the fronts are similar to mine but the rears maybe a bit lighter..
    Ahh yeah my spring measurements are for 3 inch. I forgot to actually measure the ride height between bumps to work out what it actually sits at.

Thats tonights job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (29th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I think I will be broke in a few weeks time.......but hopefully happier with my suspension.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th December 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a little stupefied right know. But what are you looking for. If you are looking for max articulation, disconnect your shocks, measure the fully compressed and fully extended lengths of your travel before the spring becomes untrapped. This will give you the full length of travel the shock needs to be for your installed springs. (Full compressed diff on bump stop. Untrapped spring becoming loose in seat). No one needs their spring to fall out lol.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuck For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th October 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto just about finished my install..

So after a lot of stuffing around I finally have the setup I paid for..
    2" springs with 8" and 10" travel shocks, 80 series bumps and airbags in the rear.
    Initially I was sent 3" standard rate springs but was not happy with em at all..
    Ass up like nobody's business!!!

So after getting 2" progressive rate standard springs and putting them in (much harder due to air bags being in) we have what we finally want..

So..
    Love the setup. .
    You still feel the bumps but they are much smoother..

Ok down fall..
    Being such long shocks I have to raise the front towers 40mm to allow the shocks to compress without binding..
    The rear is fine as the 80 series bumps are fitted and give the bump extension needed..
    But 80 bumps compress more than the front factory bumps by about 30mm (65mm compressed).
    The down fall with only running 2" lift is I only have 40mm between axle and bump lol..
    So if I was to space the bump it would be touching the axle lol..
    So up the tower goes..
    Gunna do some engineering on this one..
    Stay tuned..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011