Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Outback Comms Chat Thread.

Yeah I know it's Toyota.

***EDIT. Hey Cuppa I have changed the name of the thread as this evolves into an Outback Comms chat.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 22nd May 2016 at 09:44 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

04OFF (15th May 2016), BigRAWesty (21st May 2016), Maxhead (14th May 2016), Touses (14th May 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,477 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no reason why you couldnt put them on any vehicle, they will charge for them anyway.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's pretty cool!

Don't know if I'm ganna buy a Toyota but I like it.

This will be the way of the future though

….................... On the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much is the unit worth ? does it notify the drivers of the cars that the signal passes thru to get to a node . if it does'nt and they couldnot help , it might be better to have a personal epirb .the signal would probably get to the authorities faster . the spot epirbs are about $200 .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at this last night, great idea but still limited to 25km at the moment.
    Range will improve I'm sure.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First big press release I've seen on it and still very early days and lots to sort out.

For remote travel it won't come anywhere near the safety, versatility or response of a Sat Phone/HF/messaging EPIRB for a while yet.
    For the long term it will stand or fall on how well the integration works with the Carriers.

HF - very much in the twilight years and very high initial costs but still allows you to "broadcast"
    EPIRB - no comms or limited comms for a messaging version such as spot but cheap, extremely reliable and fast emergency response
    Sat Phone - most versatile and dual band (Sat and Mobile) are smaller and cheaper than they have ever been albeit still very hefty access charges.

Mobile telco networking - bit of a compromise of all 3 in various ways in that it gets rid of the disadvantages of most but doesn't pick up on any major advantages
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

snicko (17th May 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good idea. For sure. But how many Landcruisers do they think will be in range of each other in the middle of ship creek at any given time? Going by there ad. Lots.
    Still a good idea though.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    snip... But how many Landcruisers do they think will be in range of each other in the middle of ship creek at any given time? Going by there ad. Lots.
    Hehehe... maybe a dozen or more... all bogged or broken within a few hundred metres of each other.
    Could save on technology and use two empty cans and a piece of string to sort out which one the burn first to keep warm

(sorry, just an image that flashed thru my mind I felt I had to share)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

04OFF (15th May 2016), Bigcol (16th May 2016), mudnut (14th May 2016), MudRunnerTD (22nd May 2016), snicko (17th May 2016), Touses (15th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SpaceX (and other companies working in the same field) and the reduction in launch costs for satellites and therefore their running costs, will bury this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the beginning, not so sure Toyota has hit its public service / public relations on target though.

I can say with all honesty, if a Toyota, a Jeep, a Suzuki or any other brand had it's driver in need of assistance my PLB will be switched on no matter what they drive.

So FU Toyota, we are all together when the chips are down and I'm astounded you don't realize this.

A good idea starts somewhere, here hoping Toyota make sure every vehicle in the bush gets one of these.

That will be a public service / public relations coup.
    Cheers
    Macca

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st May 2016), mudnut (16th May 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast