Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    A tent peg propped under the lid will help for ventilation without bastardising the oven too. Great for pork crackling and crisping up the spuds.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Yep thats a better idea!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cranked up the smoker this morning, about to put in this piece of silverside to make some pastrami for work lunch sandwiches through the week.

Then later on will throw on these lamb ribs for dinner. I've done plenty of pork ribs and beef ribs, but a few weeks ago pre-covid lockdown I tried some lamb ribs at my brother in laws place and was blown away!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

jay see (16th August 2020), MB (16th August 2020), PeeBee (16th August 2020), Plasnart (16th August 2020), Rossco (16th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’ll be amazing by the sounds of it Chrisso, please do tell us more about the Pastrami methodology and rub used etc...
    Very keen to learn that one pretty please mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's something I've been wanting to try for a while, silverside is cheap meat and I had everything in the pantry so if it turns out a disaster it's cost me next to nothing.
    This is the recipe I used for the rub, I reckon it'd be better with mustard seeds as well but I didn't have any.
    https://dadwithapan.com/smoke-pastra...d-beef-packer/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

jay see (16th August 2020), MB (16th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @PeeBee,

Soggy pizza base is the problem & it's made worse by the fact that it's a gluten free bas made from yoghurt & gluten free flour. This means it is wetter & stickier when first put in.

I realised after I posted that even if a pizza stone worked, getting the pizza out would be a major problem, & also that the alternative to a stone - the aluminium mesh 'pizza screen' would not work with a relatively wet/sticky base.

I'm now thinking it might work better to part cook the base first with nothing on it, remove it & then add the topping, before cooking further.

As far as your Gwendolyn system - unless you can magically make it weigh no more, & take up no more space than our camp oven - it's a non starter I'm afraid - a shame 'cos is does otherwise appear to be the business!

@Winnie - Thank you for the tent peg suggestion! Will give it a try with our baked spuds - they always come out nicely cooked & browned, but never crispy. MrsTea rubs a bit of olive oil on the skins, & this develops a slightly odd flavour , which I'm guessing may not occur if we can get the skins to crisp up a bit. Question At what point do you vent the lid with the tent peg? All the way through, last 5 minutes or what?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks @PeeBee,

Soggy pizza base is the problem & it's made worse by the fact that it's a gluten free bas made from yoghurt & gluten free flour. This means it is wetter & stickier when first put in.

I realised after I posted that even if a pizza stone worked, getting the pizza out would be a major problem, & also that the alternative to a stone - the aluminium mesh 'pizza screen' would not work with a relatively wet/sticky base.

I'm now thinking it might work better to part cook the base first with nothing on it, remove it & then add the topping, before cooking further.

As far as your Gwendolyn system - unless you can magically make it weigh no more, & take up no more space than our camp oven - it's a non starter I'm afraid - a shame 'cos is does otherwise appear to be the business!

@Winnie - Thank you for the tent peg suggestion! Will give it a try with our baked spuds - they always come out nicely cooked & browned, but never crispy. MrsTea rubs a bit of olive oil on the skins, & this develops a slightly odd flavour , which I'm guessing may not occur if we can get the skins to crisp up a bit. Question At what point do you vent the lid with the tent peg? All the way through, last 5 minutes or what?
    Experiment with it is my suggestion. Bear in mind you will be letting a lot of heat out and so should counter for that with more coals underneath. The heat should still radiate from the top enough.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (16th August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks @PeeBee,

Yeah, Gwendolyn is a heavy girl - 22kg from memory for the entire oven, but its compact, 330 x 330 x 250mm. You can't take bits out of the 'system ' unfortunately. I think the peg idea has merit. the open area generated by say a 4mm peg on one side of the lid is going to be more than the Gwendolyn, but it will work.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (16th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The lamb ribs were great, unfortunately the rub wasn't quite spot on, will work on that next time.
    The pastrami has just finished now, looks and smells great! Will slice it once it's cooled down.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

jay see (16th August 2020), MB (16th August 2020), PeeBee (16th August 2020), TPC (16th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect looking Bark, so looking forward to the Pastrami unveiling Mate
    May I suggest not leaving it out on the window sill cooling around your dodgey neck of the woods though :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (16th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great success! Tastes great, bit less pepper next time but I'm gonna be looking forward to lunch time every day this week.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Avo (20th August 2020), jay see (16th August 2020), MB (16th August 2020), Plasnart (16th August 2020), Rossco (19th August 2020), Sherro (18th August 2020), TPC (16th August 2020)

Page 36 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast