Thread: 09 crd 3l what mods to do

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very first mods before anything suggested above:
    Get decent quality EGT and Boost Gauges!
    If don't know what your boost and EGT's are doing then you flying blind. It doesn't matter if a DI or CRD.

ZD30 killers:
    High EGT's, puts holes in pistons
    High Revs (they pull well to 3000, not much point revving anymore)
    Poor maintenance

Simple mods I have found good and well documented everywhere in a basic order:

1. Boost & EGT gauges (avoid petrol engine EGT gauges, get one that goes down to at least 100°C, Boost is good to have range of 0-20 or 0-25 PSI)
    2. Zorst, 2.75 - 3" (straight through systems do and will drone, a muffler won't hurt. CAT's can be "Lost")
    3. Oil Vapour catch-can (ProVent 200's are great and mount up near ABS unit/Vacuum lines)
    4. Dawes Valve and/or bleed screw, 16PSI is a good level, any more is really wasting power as you are not putting in anymore fuel (Careful with CRD's, they get fussy when VNT solenoid not in control)
    5. Block the EGR
    6. Fit better air cleaner element, factory kill turbine whistle and is a choke point.
    7. Induction tube replacement helps as well, smoother airflow
    8. Better inter-cooler for sure, fan assisted for anything moving slower the 50Kph
    9. If you are mechanically minded, pull the entire induction tract off and clean it
    10. If after all this, then look at chip works

DON'T fit a stainless snorkel that faces the rear, forward facing @ 100Kph can see an extra free pound of intake pressure, facing backwards robs power at speed. If you don't like mud in it, undo hose-band and face to rear while in muck!

Leave the Swirl valve system alone, it helps with bottom-end torque.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LostBenji For This Useful Post:

Col.T (19th May 2016), GUDriver (19th May 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Obviously you have to fix the IC but the CRD's have plenty of go standard especially with a better exhaust.
    It took me a while getting used to the 3l especially after having a V8 but once learning how to drive it, I find it great.

You can certainly get it going better with mods but my last two have been standard with just a beaudesert exhaust and I love them

If you don't want trouble , leave it as is

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Col.T (19th May 2016), GUDriver (19th May 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Obviously you have to fix the IC but the CRD's have plenty of go standard especially with a better exhaust.
    It took me a while getting used to the 3l especially after having a V8 but once learning how to drive it, I find it great.
    Yep, I know the feeling, going form vehicles that were very capable to a heavier vehicle with a smaller donk. I have done most of the basic mods and I have better economy while having a somewhat enjoyable ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12