Thread: Gu gearbox - ls1 patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu gearbox - ls1 patrol

Hey guys I'm after some opinions please.
    I have a 5 speed manual box in my 2000 model gu at the moment which is on its last legs and needs a rebuild. I have converted from the zd30 grenade to an ls1 and would like to know which option would be better long term.

First idea : rebuild my current zd30 box and install the bigger/stronger 5th gear. Was also going to install the marks adapters 5 th gear over drive ratios.... Currently the car sits on 2600-2700 rpm at 100km/hr.

Second idea : remove my zd box and purchase a second hand 4.8 petrol gu box which would already have bigger/stronger 5th gear. I've also been told the 4.8 boxes have a lower 5th gear ratio...... Which would save me buying the marks adapters ratios for the zd box.

Which option do you guys recommend. I am in no way looking at building a race truck, just want a solid reliable gearbox more suited to touring and towing a van.

Cheers guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Id go the 4 speed auto from GMH
    T700r
    Last edited by threedogs; 25th April 2016 at 05:41 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your good on the tools and don't mind a bit of wiring
    6l80e auto, but you'll want 3.9 or 4.11 as a final with 33" tyres
    Marks also sell the adaptor for the transfer case
    As far a wiring it up that will depend on what computer your running on the ls1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J_o_h_n81 View Post
    If your good on the tools and don't mind a bit of wiring
    6l80e auto, but you'll want 3.9 or 4.11 as a final with 33" tyres
    Marks also sell the adaptor for the transfer case
    As far a wiring it up that will depend on what computer your running on the ls1
    Unless your ls1 is out of a late model vz hsv (which is an L97 i think) you can't run a 6L80/85. It's not just as simple as wiring and ecu, the cam and crank sensors and pickups need to be changed from the 1x and 24x to the 4x and 64x on the motor to communicate to the ls3 Ecu which runs at 1gbps unlike the ls1 which runs at 657mbps for a start then and whole new engine harness/wiring loom would need to be made and list goes on. For the amount if things that need to be changed to make an ls1 work with a 6l80, it's not worth it lol. I'm pretty sure i started a thread about it a couple of years ago and have all the details in there haha
    Quote Originally Posted by digger12 View Post
    Hey guys I'm after some opinions please.
    I have a 5 speed manual box in my 2000 model gu at the moment which is on its last legs and needs a rebuild. I have converted from the zd30 grenade to an ls1 and would like to know which option would be better long term.

First idea : rebuild my current zd30 box and install the bigger/stronger 5th gear. Was also going to install the marks adapters 5 th gear over drive ratios.... Currently the car sits on 2600-2700 rpm at 100km/hr.

Second idea : remove my zd box and purchase a second hand 4.8 petrol gu box which would already have bigger/stronger 5th gear. I've also been told the 4.8 boxes have a lower 5th gear ratio...... Which would save me buying the marks adapters ratios for the zd box.

Which option do you guys recommend. I am in no way looking at building a race truck, just want a solid reliable gearbox more suited to touring and towing a van.

Cheers guys
    To run the tb48 5speed you'll first need an after market tcm and then the adapter kit from marks. The cheapest option is to run a 4L60/65e that are factory mated with the ls1 and get the transfer case adapter from marks. The second and strongest option is to find a 4L80/85e from a holden suburban or a chev suv/truck, first gear is taller and is stronger than the 4l60/65. Some wiring needs to be changed from the 60 harness but also the speedo pickup needs to be moved from memory

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alitis007 For This Useful Post:

taslucas (31st May 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @alitist007 would Killer Kustom looms have plug and play
    harnesses off the shelf???

Also having the taller first gear would that
    effect off road gearing in say low 1st ??
    Last edited by threedogs; 31st May 2016 at 04:49 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @TD. I think increasing the length of the loom would shorten the tall gear syndrome whilst giving you much better torque range through the gears. IMO having the right and correct gauge and length of the loom is important......I could be wrong though

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atomic tcm from msd
    Makes it all plug and play, and they quite ofteren have deal with free harness saving you $150us
    So all up under 1k au deliverd, if you have to pay for harness it will put you over 1kAus so you'll have to pay gst

Not hard like it use to be

Thanks
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @alitist007 would Killer Kustom looms have plug and play
    harnesses off the shelf???

Also having the taller first gear would that
    effect off road gearing in say low 1st ??
    I wouldn't know John, that's a question you'd have to ask them. The question that should be asked is, did whoever spliced the op's loom in the first place leave the plugs for the pcm and tranny in or did they just use what they needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    @TD. I think increasing the length of the loom would shorten the tall gear syndrome whilst giving you much better torque range through the gears. IMO having the right and correct gauge and length of the loom is important......I could be wrong though
    Makes me wonder if you blow a rod would it be spat or swallowed??
    Quote Originally Posted by J_o_h_n81 View Post
    Atomic tcm from msd
    Makes it all plug and play, and they quite ofteren have deal with free harness saving you $150us
    So all up under 1k au deliverd, if you have to pay for harness it will put you over 1kAus so you'll have to pay gst

Not hard like it use to be
    There are few different after market TCM's available on the market but the 6L80/85 has one bolted onto the valve body, but saying that you do know that the 6L's use data from the airflow meter to control the shifting pattern, shift firmness and kick down

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see your not you average key board warrior, you actually know what you are talking about
    All the stand alone tcm still use the inbuilt tcm as well, patc also make a good stand alone

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh alitis is definitely a keyboard warrior. Straight up ninja punk

>>>tappin from tassie
    Hello from Under Down Under!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Avo (31st May 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast