Thread: A matter of input!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A matter of input!

At the outset I would like to apologise in advance to AB and the moderators.

It may not be my place to gripe on this matter and cooler heads will undoubtedly have a more moderate view.

HOWEVER in the short time I have been a member the number of 25 post hit and run incidents has been very disheartening!

I appreciate the requirement the forum has for new members but surely the true blue core of the forum will not suffer from a little discretionary pruning.

My point here is the offer of manuals after 25 posts. I am aware that this has been discussed in the past and the offer has been rescinded and reinstated on occasion.

What I would like to propose is that manuals be offered at the absolute discretion of the administrator and or moderators.

Ie, If after the required quota of posts has been met a member requests a manual that members posting history be evaluated.

Only then will the request be considered!

If it is patently obvious that the member has joined for the reward of the manuals alone then the request be denied and in certain cases the membership be revoked!

I have no wish to place further workload on either AB or the mods but i do believe the matter requires addressing.

My solution may be in no way workable. Wiser heads will have wiser ways!

Just putting the thought out there folks. I feel sure others will have been harbouring similar dissatisfactions.

Again my apologies to the top brass.

Regards, Rob
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A simple solution could be restricting the 25 posts to the introduction thread and a thread or two for them to ask or discuss a problem until their 25 posts are used.

May be impossible to set up though.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    A simple solution could be restricting the 25 posts to the introduction thread and a thread or two for them to ask or discuss a problem until their 25 posts are used.

May be impossible to set up though.
    I think many regulars know my view which is just shitcan the whole 25 posts prerequisite.

I acknowledge totally the effort to gather the 'manuals' but they are in no way the intellectual property of the Forum.
    I acknowledge there is a cost to hosting the 'manuals' but surely we are happy to help offset that in sponsorship, I know I am.
    There is immense wealth of knowledge available here in the specific threads or by simply posting a Q and IMHO it is that which we should be relying on.

Further, this 25 posts in the intro section that has been in place for yoinks is most perplexing.

Basically it is asking that a brand new 'forumite' go to the 'intros' and welcome 25 people who are already here.
    That is the same as a new resident in a community welcoming the people who already live there.
    It is arse backwards and says 'if you want the manuals pls make up 25 meaningless posts but only post them in intros or we ban you'.

Totally respect the opinions of others and AB's call on this subject as always
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... I also suggest that the cost to 'host' a gazillion 25 poster threads and inane replies is probably 100 times more the the cost to host the Manuals without even touching on the PIA factor of how it chokes up the 'latest posts' and 'whats new' search function.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

megatexture (25th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What ET said. Manuals are manuals after all and get be gotten by other methods rather than cluttering up the forum with posts. If advice is requested it is up to the members whether they offer their experience and advice to low or no post requests.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with cluttering up the forum with posts..... its what keeps the forum ticking over

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th April 2016), rusty_nail (26th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Meh 25 posts indeed, just wait until I get round to welcoming 3 months worth of newcomers, then you have something to grumble about

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th April 2016), Bloodyaussie (25th April 2016), mudnut (25th April 2016), rusty_nail (26th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only here for the manuals???

>>>tappin from tassie
    Hello from Under Down Under!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (25th April 2016), Clunk (25th April 2016), ova50 (25th April 2016), Touses (26th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What there's manuals!, must look into it lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

15. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

ova50 (25th April 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if new member Ryank has read this thread

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (26th April 2016), ova50 (25th April 2016)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast