Thread: Changing GQ Gearbox

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing GQ Gearbox

I am about to replace the gearbox and clutch in my GQ ute Any tips, hints or tricks would be appreciated.
    Keith.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Kieth someone with the knowledge will get to you. My understanding is that they are bloody heavy and its been suggested to use an engine hoist to assist in removal and replacement.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    obtain a couple of long bolts with the same thread as the bell housing bolts, remove the heads, slot the ends for a screwdriver or grind a couple of flats for a shifter.

Install these prior to reinstalling the gearbox - you can use them to help align everything prior to bolting up. I just used some cheapies from the hardware shop that happened to have the right thread.

Consider replacing all the clutch related stuff that may need replacing while you have it apart, spigot bearing/bush, gearbox input shaft seal, throwout race, yoke and pivot, etc.

Looking at another thread here on a related topic, be sure to eat a hearty carnivorous breakfast, esp if several cans were consumed the night before :-)

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Gday Kieth someone with the knowledge will get to you. My understanding is that they are bloody heavy and its been suggested to use an engine hoist to assist in removal and replacement.
    did that with the mate's G60. removed the seats and doors, and the panel in the floor, and suspended to box on an engine crane. On my MQ slid it under on a trolley jack. It had the remote transfer case, so that bit was easier :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the Gearbox I found is a bitch to get back in. aftter i undone all the bolts for the gearbox it just about fell onto the ground ! But when i went to put it back in there is no room in the floorpan to move it around i ended up panel beating the floor pan arond the bell housing area to get mine back in wasnt much fun at all then on my second patrol when i done the clutch on that one someone else had already done it for me lol so must be a common problem ...........

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing the transfer case makes the job a bit easier, and lighter. Using the engine lift crane in through the front door is the safest way, you don't want that gearbox rolling off the jack.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with tony that gear box assembly weighs close to 200kg. if it falls off the jack or worse on someone there will be trouble
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i take seats out and steering wheel off made a a frame that sits on the floor use a chain block off that, heaps easier daz

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daz44b View Post
    i take seats out and steering wheel off made a a frame that sits on the floor use a chain block off that, heaps easier daz
    Now that's good thinking.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez you guys have never use a transmission jack have yas'? They raise high enough to let gear box down, they have a tilt pump, swiveling plate, and safety chains to secure box on top to stop it rolling off. Once let down as high as trolley jack. Hire one for job about $50 for day.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast