Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissey View Post
    Hi all,

just reading this thread as I am about to get a snorkel fitted to my Safari. Now I read you would need "diffs, transfer case and gearbox breathers" fitted as well, what does that mean? Is a snorkel nonsense without having those things fitted as well and doing e.g a water crossing? Obviously you wont drown your engine if your diffs, or gearbox fails but still it will prevent you from carrying on travelling and cause cost intensive repairs, right?
    Hey Chris

The snorkel itself still allows cool air to be 'rammed' into the engine and hence is still a benefit, but yes, a bit pointless without the breathers. The diffs, transfer and gearbox all need the breathers extended to avoid water damage if doing crossings. That damage is expensive generally, so the breathers are more than worth it - if you're doing it yourself, you'd pick up a kit for around $100, or be looking a close to double that to have someone do them for you. The front diff may already be up in the wheel arch, and the rear above the rear crossmember, so it's only an extension of the rear and installation of the other two!

Good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

chrissey (22nd May 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good to get the breathers extended. If your diffs,, box transfer are hot when you cross water they can suck water in through the seals. they are easy to do yourself and are another good precautionary measure

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

chrissey (22nd May 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bigrig&Growlers,

thanks for the information, great how you learn some important stuff on this forum everyday.
    Did my first oil&filter change today and like the fact I can change it myself every 5000k now just by some reading in the forum before taking it to the garage to have the job done, great!
    I just had a quick look how to extend the breathers and I am optimistic to maybe do it without help. I just read an article about that you never have enough money for the 4wd set up&gear you would like to have haha so true, but I reckon those things still belong to the necessary things that need to be done b4 we start traveling.

cheers guys

chris

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could stop before water crossings to let everything cool down but what a pain in the arse, someone here shouild be able to give good direction on how to diy it

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bigrig&Growlers,

thanks for the information, great how you learn some important stuff on this forum everyday.
    Did my first oil&filter change today and like the fact I can change it myself every 5000k now just by some reading in the forum before taking it to the garage to have the job done, great!
    I just had a quick look how to extend the breathers and I am optimistic to maybe do it without help. I just read an article about that you never have enough money for the 4wd set up&gear you would like to have haha so true, but I reckon those things still belong to the necessary things that need to be done b4 we start traveling.

cheers guys

chris
    Good stuff - think of the dollars you'll save doing simple things like oil etc yourself!! Good on ya mate!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bigrig yeah so right, and actually i am kinda enyoing to know as much as I can about my Safari/Patrol and really enjoy it! Before I take this thread too far off topic just one more question, might be a dumb one but does every GQ come with diffs? If so should you be able to engage them, just because I havent got much of an idea so far how diffs exactly work.
    Thanks a lot guys..
    Chris

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bigrig yeah so right, and actually i am kinda enyoing to know as much as I can about my Safari/Patrol and really enjoy it! Before I take this thread too far off topic just one more question, might be a dumb one but does every GQ come with diffs? If so should you be able to engage them, just because I havent got much of an idea so far how diffs exactly work.
    Thanks a lot guys..
    Chris
    They all have diffs mate (not a dumb question - no such thing on here!). It is the large round shaped housing on the centre (ish) of each axle. The manual hubs (assuming you have manual) in the centre of the front wheels are what you would 'lock in' to lock position before engaging 4wd. Have a look in the centre of the front wheels and there should be a FREE and LOCK position - if it's a large nut instead of a swivel that is moveable by hand, then they are auto hubs that lock automatically when you engage 4wd. If the swivel, then you twist it to lock on both wheels before 4wd'ing and then back to free on both wheels for on the road.

Where are you based? Would be a great idea to catch up with some members off here in your area and they can go through your rig specifically with you to show you through it - if you're around brissy, I'm more than happy to assist.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

chrissey (22nd May 2011), snicko (22nd May 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    They all have diffs mate (not a dumb question - no such thing on here!). It is the large round shaped housing on the centre (ish) of each axle. The manual hubs (assuming you have manual) in the centre of the front wheels are what you would 'lock in' to lock position before engaging 4wd. Have a look in the centre of the front wheels and there should be a FREE and LOCK position - if it's a large nut instead of a swivel that is moveable by hand, then they are auto hubs that lock automatically when you engage 4wd. If the swivel, then you twist it to lock on both wheels before 4wd'ing and then back to free on both wheels for on the road.

Where are you based? Would be a great idea to catch up with some members off here in your area and they can go through your rig specifically with you to show you through it - if you're around brissy, I'm more than happy to assist.
    Ah yeah I know what housing you are talking about, I guess that is, when its hot it will suck water due to the difference in temperature when doing a river crossing etc..?! Oh mate that would be too good and so helpful! I am in Mooloolaba, only working Mon and Tues this week whenever it will suit you and maybe some other newbies?!? I will come down to Brizzie and get you a crade of your favourite lager if you and maybe some others can show me through the GQ!
    It is an automatic so I guess it is engaged all the time? Sometimes when I do lets say a u-turn the steering wheel starts to vibrate more than usual, i thought it would be down to the power steering but I just had that fixed would you reckon the front diff is the issue? Cheers mate, well I dont know I am up for it as soon as you and some other board members are, maybe start a thread for ppl around the Brizzie area for a GQ mechanical catch up?

thanks,

chris

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yeah I know what housing you are talking about, I guess that is, when its hot it will suck water due to the difference in temperature when doing a river crossing etc..?! Oh mate that would be too good and so helpful! I am in Mooloolaba, only working Mon and Tues this week whenever it will suit you and maybe some other newbies?!? I will come down to Brizzie and get you a crade of your favourite lager if you and maybe some others can show me through the GQ!
    It is an automatic so I guess it is engaged all the time? Sometimes when I do lets say a u-turn the steering wheel starts to vibrate more than usual, i thought it would be down to the power steering but I just had that fixed would you reckon the front diff is the issue? Cheers mate, well I dont know I am up for it as soon as you and some other board members are, maybe start a thread for ppl around the Brizzie area for a GQ mechanical catch up?

thanks,

chris
    Vibrating when turning could be a number of things, but do make sure the hubs are in the FREE position. When I say auto hubs, that means they'll engage automatically when you select 4H and/or 4L on the transfer case gear lever (small one on the passenger side of the transmission stick). Think I may have confused you there!! - happy to meet up, but to save you a trip, a bunch of us are up at Landcruiser Mountain Park at Jimna this coming weekend - would it be easier for you to get there either Saturday or Sunday? Or come for the weekend and camp over? We can help you out with the rig and give you some pointers etc to help you out.

I can't do tomorrow, but good any time Tuesday after about 11am if you'd prefer that than Landcruiser. No need for the slab mate!! Thanks for the offer, but you're the one going out of your way, so honestly no need and happy to assist!!

Either way, be great to catch up. PM your mobile through to me and I'll shot my number back to organise whichever way you want to do it!

Cheers
    Scotty

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

snicko (22nd May 2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12