Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fishing tours/ trips in the N.T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now that sounds the go a big Barra on the fly you got me excited now mark
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th April 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As ET says the humidity is life draining, you breathe water its that humid,
    still saying after the monsoons have subsided , but again that humidity is
    beyound belief, You wash your jeans and hang them on the line they get wetter lol
    Think Ive seen that second link on TV so "as seen on TV" is a winner
    Stuff fishing light you're there to catch fish, the local prefer thread fin salmon to Barra.
    They recokon barra is for the tourist.
    You want a metre barra use 80lb line fishing light never caught big fish consistently
    Last edited by threedogs; 19th April 2016 at 12:09 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stuff fishing light you're there to catch fish, the local prefer thread fin salmon to Barra.
    You want a metre barra use 80lb line fishing light never caught big fish consistently[/QUOTE]
    I don't see any thing about fishing light TD
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    As ET says the humidity is life draining, you breathe water its that humid,
    still saying after the monsoons have subsided , but again that humidity is
    beyound belief, You wash your jeans and hang them on the line they get wetter lol
    Think Ive seen that second link on TV so "as seen on TV" is a winner
    You want a metre barra use 80lb line fishing light never caught big fish consistently
    Lol. Well what am I if I'm not a tourist?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use 20lb braid on a decent reel and if you are flicking lures all day then a graphite rod is nice to have too. We use mostly either Calcutta 200b's or some lighter weight older Chronarch 100's, on 5'10" rods, although my favourite is a light weight Shimano Core 50Mg reel and 12lb braid on a Samurai 12-16lb fast action 5'6" rod. Super light, but a shite load of fun and it still lands some bloody big fish for its size. I also have a Calcutta 400 rigged with 30lb braid that I troll with or live bait with, mostly because of the ratchet.

If you are going to flick lures all day for several days, then I wouldn't suggest using heavier gear as you will regret it. Your wrists will be sore and accuracy of casts suffers dramatically.

If you are going to use guides, then don't waste your time thinking about lures or rods. Just use their gear and replace as you lose it. They know best what is working in what areas and their rods and reels are generally very good gear.

Salmon is good to eat, and so is barra. Both fight well and are as much fun to catch as the other. If you have a chef who knows his shi.t, you won't have a bad meal! One of my favourites is a Sambal Barra (or whatever fish you have that day).

You'll have a great time, no doubt about it. Damn you've got me thinking about my next trip already!!! Borrooloola and Roper Bar probably. As soon as we can get in after next years wet season.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th April 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So i spoke with my dad today and he asks when are we going. I said next year and he wants to go like now. Bloody hell this might happen quicker than expected.
    Only issue is my brothers missus. They have more money that i could dream of and she's saying its too dear and is not keen on letting my brother spend that kind of coin. Lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 21st April 2016 at 07:24 PM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well you did say nobody wants to go 4wd-ing with you this weekend so ... Book the flights !
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Well you did say nobody wants to go 4wd-ing with you this weekend so ... Book the flights !
    In time...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 9th June 2016 at 08:10 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    O.k Back into looking at venues. Run off is obviously the best time, feb to may, for the freshwater barra. But what about salt water barra? From what I can see that don't matter. Plus with salt water fishing, we have the chance to catch other species.
    I suppose I need to ask what I want to do? Problem is my answer is fish. For that big barra. And have the time of my life with my dad. Having good accomodation is a must, and it would be nice to have someone there to cook our catch for dinner that night.
    These are the sites I have been looking at, and its just made me more confused...
    http://www.anglerschoice.com.au/about-us/
    http://topendbarrafishing.com.au/
    http://www.barratours.com.au/index.html
    http://www.dhipirribarra.com.au/
    https://cobourgfishingsafaris.com.au/fishing-charters

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW... and I left Darwin 0ver 10 years ago after living there for 13 so been gone a while, I would rank them
    1. Dhippirri
    2. Coburg
    Reasons for that being that the fishing in Arnhem is awesome and you will also go where only a small percentage of others have ever been.
    I've been to Coburg but not over Mullingimbi way altho my son has and the memories will last a lifetime.

Of the closer to Darwin alternatives it is harder to split them and I think you would do OK with any of the 3 so I would base my choice on a telephone conversation or two.

Bottom line is if you want the epic trip to a place few will ever see I would go Dhipirri with Coburg a close second
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (9th June 2016)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast