Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing tours/ trips in the N.T

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mark, when I was up Weipa way in the dry, all locals were saying the same as above. If it's purely a fishing trip I would reconsider time of year mate

….................... On the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

mudski (18th April 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    Always wanted to do this with my father when he retired.

Unfortunately died before this could happen.

This is why I want to do this. He's getting on is age and we've always talked about this. So I need to get off my rrss and do something.
    Hmmm got me thinking now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Mark, when I was up Weipa way in the dry, all locals were saying the same as above. If it's purely a fishing trip I would reconsider time of year mate

….................... On the move
    Thanks Kris. I would definitely reconsider if it means fish or no fish. I just need to get more info on prices, and tour/ guide types etc etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This looks good mark article on the run in and run out http://www.barramundi-fishing-advent...g-seasons.html
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (19th April 2016), mudski (18th April 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo63 View Post
    This looks good mark article on the run in and run out http://www.barramundi-fishing-advent...g-seasons.html
    The second paragraph got my blood pumping!
    I've got about 300 tabs open in my browser with website after website on chartered tours with onsite accommodation. From what I can tell, its going to be around 4k for 3days fishing and 4night accom. Then we have to get here and back, maybe another 1 1.5k??? Not to bad considering I will more than likely never get to do this again in my lifetime.
    The hardest thing is knowing finding the right place.
    We want something where we don't lift a finger, all meals inclusive, we get to eat our catch, and drink some 18yo Glenlivet while watching the sunset. We don't mind paying for the privilege too ( I just need to save some more lol). As like I said it will be a once in a lifetime thing for me. And to spend some precious time with my Dad doing what we've always talked about.
    I'm so confused already.
    Why don't there bloody websites put up pricing instead of making us contact them? Only a few show prices. I might even go to the local travel agent and see what they have.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (18th April 2016), Maxhead (18th April 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    snip... I would definitely reconsider if it means fish or no fish. I just need to get more info on prices, and tour/ guide types etc etc.
    Sorry, I thought you were doing the fishing around a trip not a trip around the fishing and had decided on the dry season.

Darwin is a bit different to a lot of areas.
    It will 'fish' almost all year round.
    There are a heap of BIG rivers and humungous wetlands.
    The East and South Alligator, Mary, Adelaide, Finiss, Daly are all 'day trips for the locals

I loved the build-up fishing myself but a word to the wise the humidity is an absolute killer if you aren't acclimatised.
    Billabongs - We used to get pissed up and sleep during the day and fish the moon rise at night (the later the moon the better, say 11 to 2 AM.
    Rivers/Creeks - We used to go down near the mouths and fish the run in tide and crab.

Wet Season (Jan Feb March depending) is not much chop - very limited access and too much water

Run off (March to May depending)- Prime fishing on the wetlands but where and when can be tricky. Most spots will 'fire' for about 3 weeks or so. 'When' is totally dependant on how much flood and if it is an early or a late Wet season.
    Very, very easy to get caught up in the 'you shoulda been here last week' scenarios

Dry season - is a steady time, chasing the 'resident' fish and local knowledge really becomes important.

For nothing else but a 'Fishing trip of a Lifetime' you are on the right track 'google' shopping for a venue and guide.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (19th April 2016), mudski (18th April 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I only decided on the dry season due to the weather. I had no idea until this thread, about the run off seasons etc etc.
    So mate. I'll bloody go now if I can. No wait, I can't. I haven't saved enough yet. Half way there. We want the 'Fishing trip of a Lifetime'. I can't bloody wait now. I told th missus on the estimate costs and she was o.k with it. I near fell off my chair. As it will cost around 1k per day I reckon after we include everything.
    I think I will need to take my back drugs tonight just so I can sleep.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $$$ against the best time of your life with your family mate. Chance of your lifetime mate ....I'd jump at it if me old man was still kicking!
    Last edited by Maxhead; 18th April 2016 at 06:37 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

mudski (18th April 2016)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been over to fish the run-off several times now and haven't missed yet. Ring around the guides and get a feel for how they run their show. Ring the tackle shops up there too mate - they no doubt have their favourites but also know who knows their shit.

The Daly River was awesome, but you need to run long distances in boats. Caught 70+ barra off one creek mouth (I think it was called No Fish creek from memory), but had to share it with four other boats. The river can run at 8-9 knots too, so if you take your 12ft tinny and 9hp motor, be very wary that the trip home will suck more fuel and take longer.

The other beauty was Shady Camp and the wetlands over that way. Awesome, but you share it with a LOT of other boats. Having come from Nth Qld where the etiquette is very different (ie. you are on a creek mouth - it is yours), I struggled at first with the NT sharing way of doing things.

If you want to fish Shady Camp, just stay in Darwin and do day trips. The guides pick you up early and drive you out each day. That leaves you with the Night Markets and other activities after a day out. I seem to recall Mud Wrestling was still a go at one of the back-packer joints if you are looking for a laugh.

Otherwise, save some coin - book a donga at the Daly for a week and spend your coin on rum and guides instead. The guides will make it worth while. Find a place with a pool and good BBQ area for when you get back each evening. F.ck the 5-star rubbish, you only sleep and fish! And in between you talk about fish or sleep.

I'm heading back that way next year for another dose! Yes, be wary of the late floods and high waters, but I wouldn't bother buggerising around with the dry season or having to work those billabongs.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (18th April 2016), mudski (18th April 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We don't really want to stay in Darwin and do day trips. We'd rather be there and get the full experience. Less stuffing around too. Fish during the day. Eat fish and drink during the evening. I can ring guides and fishing shops etc but i really dont know what i should be asking. Sounds strange but this is new to me, im used to doing a solo run up the high country with just me and my fly rod and hunt some trout.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast