User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooper ST or STT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had ST's and for long life on Bitumen you couldn't go past them....got over 70K and still have at least 10k left, as for chipping yes they do if you are even remotely lazy with your tyre pressures. I found they don't chip anywhere near as bad if you adjust your pressures accordingly. But for the last 5k or so on the black stuff were a little unsettling in the wet so as they harden up they get a little slippery.

No running something completely different mainly due to cost and wanting to try some muddies.

Cheers
    GU IV Patrol
    NADS, 3" Lift, Snorkel, Steel BB, Kaymar Rear Dual Wheel Carrier, Drawers,Cargo Barrier, 33" Muddies, Tipple Batteries, 60 Ltr Fridge to keep my Beer cold and more Ocky straps than any human being would ever need.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree kingy, I think chipping etc is more to do with incorrect tyre pressures for the terrain and how they're driven. No tyre is immune to chipping if they're not treated right.
    I had 35" ST's on my Patrol when I bought it and I thought they would never wear out. Never had any chipping or lug tearing issues either.
    Next set were 35" MTZ's, they clogged up worse in mud than the ST's
    Current set are BigHorns, self clean better than the MTZ's hands down.
    I'm going to try STT's next and see how they go.
    I just like trying out different rubber

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It seems with the coopers you have to run higher pressures a bloke i work with swears by them too as he got 120 out of one set and has 90 on the current set but he runs them at 90psi. The st would be a better suited all round tyre as the stt are very offroad orientated. Have heard similar about them not being flash in the wet on the bitumen. I have said this in another topic but have a look at bfg km2's in that size i did a lot of research before purchasing the ones i put on my gu and found most people to be getting at least 80k out of them and from first hand experience these tyres are awesome to say the least handle well on the dry ans wet bitumen work great on the sand and the small amount of offroading i have done with them they have been also great.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a set of Coopere ATR's on my Patrol a couple of years ago and in IMHO they are bloody lethal on a wet road .
    Was driving with my son to collect some gear from his house with my 8x4 trailer behind which was empty.
    As we approached a left turn intersection he said " take that one ".and we were only doing about 50K and had a good distance before the normal turn off.
    I put the brakes on firmly but not hard and the whole bloody rig just slid past the intersection with wheels locked up.
    Frightened the hell out of us as we had no control until brakes were released.
    No traction on the wet road at all and if it had been a vehicle avoidance manouvre I would have driven straight into another vehicle.
    These tyres whilst great for plenty of Km's and off road are shocking in the wet on a normal road.
    I went and changed them for Bridgestone ATR the next day and they are so much safer in my personal opinion.
    Coopers !! Never again for me .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 psi wow I thought they would have burst! I run bfg AT's and they are great on road in the wet on the sand and bush tracks not so good in the mud mine are getting on in the km I've done 20k km and previous owner did 40k km still have 5mm of tread to wear bumps but started chipping on rock tracks now but still good for the sand and road
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bout the ST's a while back and was told that they are 40% on-road and 60% off-road. Had them on my MK and again on my GU. Haven't had any problems on sand or rock and they grip nicely on road. Have got sh!t from guys out on track but I don't see them going anywhere I couldnt. In my opinion compared with BFG's T/A which where crap!! slid out in the wet no grip in the mud and rock but good on sand (nice bulge) and cost more then the ST's.

Go the Cooper's just make sure you choose the right one for you travelling style!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 110,000k's out of a set of st's found them to be a good tyre, I have now replaced them with Toyo MT and have found them to be a very good tyre whether wet or dry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12