Thread: 4WD Track Classifications.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

4WD Track Classifications.

Attached is the classification system for 4WD tracks across Victoria.

Parks Victoria, DSE and 4WD Victoria have been working together to implement the new signage across tracks In victoria.

This is astandard 4 level colour code system indicating the degree of difficulty of 4wd tracks and routes.

Things you need to consider when using this system.

There will be six criteria used

1. Standard symbols signage
    2. Terrain and track conditions
    3. Vehicle suitability
    4. Recovery Equipment
    5. Driver training and experience
    6. Weather variations

Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

NewDan (13th October 2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.... This should help a lot of ppl out when it comes time to make that big call... DO I TAKE THIS TRACK?????

Thanks Andy

Cheers
    Paul

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen these signs posted up around the tracks yet?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate, good call.

Good to know the translation of symbols versus what the tracks are usually like...Thanks!

I tend to enjoy the campfire and beers a little more when I've still got a functioning vehicle, not a mangled wreck half way down a valley!!!
    Yep, thats whats its all about at the end of the day mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am a registered and qualified "Track Classifier" with DSE ad Parks Vic and the bad news is that Parks and DSE set about designing the Track classification with a hidden agenda and a political end game.

They are not really interested in the Black and Double Black classifications, rather, they are looking to design a track system that mums and dads can drive in their SUVs. their priority was developing and maintaining a system of Green and Blue tracks with an emphasis on the entry levels.

As soon a a track went into the Black (which happens very very easily) it was off their grid.

As predicted at the time of the development of the system by those users being trained in Track Classification that Parks and DSE would use the information given to them by us (4X4 drivers and Club members) to identify the next tracks to either "send the grader down" to make into a Blue track to suit their agenda or ear mark for Closure.

In the Otways there has been significant Track Closures and the relationship between the managers and the user groups is under extreme pressure as Parks and DSE disregard the requests by the user groups and restrict access and or permanently close and revegetate tracks that have been driven by members of our clubs for many years.

All of the guys that did the training for Track classification in our club (10 Members) have made a decision to boycott the classification process in the Otways, as have all other clubs in our region due to the behavior and attitudes of the Parks and DSE in our area. This system has not yet been implemented here as a result. YET

Tracks we drove one week we had trouble finding the following week as the re-planting was so comprehensive. Bloody scarey.

FAARKING PARKS and DSE!!! Dont believe a word guys, There is NO GOOD NEWS HERE!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th July 2010 at 10:32 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MR for the heads up & if your guys start a petition see Andy & get it posted here on the forum. I for one will sign it & im sure many many others will as well.

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ]I am a registered and qualified "Track Classifier" with DSE ad Parks Vic
    Are you telling us MR that you drive around tracks and qualify their rating?

Do you get paid for this or just volunteer.

man that has to be the best job i have ever ever heard...lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah mate it is voluntary. The DSE and Parks called out to the user groups looking for real people that could put real world spin on the tracks and also saves tehm having to drive them all. If we are out on the weekend anyway then we can do some classifying while were are out.

There is a fair bit to it and quite a formula to apply but it does not take much to knock a track over a blue into the black. was a little absurd to be honest. Definitely developed with mum and dad in the AWD Territory to drive down.

Wouldn't it be nice if Parks and DSE actually set up a vehicle to do the worst tracks out there and then employed me to drive them all day!! Awesome idea!

I think that they also came to us as there are many tracks that they truly cannot drive, their vehicles just arn't set up for that.

A large group did a 2 day course in the Otways 18months ago in preparation for the implementation of this system. lots of debate, but the system was pretty well set in stone before any of us got to see it.... Consultation? what consultation?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, how did you become a registered and qualified track classifier?

Was it just because you fell into it by knowing people in those areas or was their an actual course to take, etc?

Cheers;

Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, the DSE and Park approached the user groups (4wd clubs) to put forward members that would be able to undertake a 2 day course to be trained on how the classification system worked.

They were keen to get people to do the classifying rather than relying on the Parks and DSE staff to get it done.

Each track is classified by at least 2 different classifiers and it is assumed that the track is classified in the dry weather only.

So when looking at a classified track it is for dry weather conditions.

Fundamentally, the system is fantastic but they really stopped short of the ultimate goal being a comprehensive track classification system not dis-similar to what you find on the ski slopes and that caters for all levels of skill and interest.

As noted above they were really interested in the entry level stuff and the priority was placed on these to be classified.

The opportunity to cater for the broader 4WD community was overlooked. The black diamond comes in at a rediculously low grading in our world and really undervalues the potential warning system that a double diamond might offer.

It does not take much to get to double diamond classification!!!

The problem=======> in one day you could do a fairly easy double diamond (most difficult rating). You could do 3 or 4 in a row that saw the hole track get this rating because of 1 obstacle. Old mate Dad that drove all of these tracks gets a little confident and thinks "well that is not that hard!! I can do anything... I can drive double black... I got the T shirt.... excellent===> theres another double black====> i'm gunna go down that=======> Then ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE, he finds himself down a gully on a 30degree slope, over a drop off and on his roof. This track, in the scheme of the classification system should be a 6x Black diamond track by comparison to the others that he did but the system let him down because it is rated the same as the other 4 that he did that day...

Which one should be the double diamond?? The last one i reckon.

The single black diamond should then have a grading system built into it==>ie. black diamond 1, black diamond 2, black diamond 3, black diamond 4, black diamond 5, DOUBLE BLACK!

At a club level the classifiers discussed a sign with a Black diamond on it like you find on the ski slopes with a number in the middle to indicate the likely level of difficulty.

Save the Double Black for what it should be for =======>

BEWARE DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND - EXTREME DRIVING CONDITIONS - DANGER - SELF RECOVERABLE VEHICLES, WELL PREPARED AND HIGH LEVEL OF DRIVER TRAINING REQUIRED

Isn't that what we all expect when we think Double Black diamond?? No Heros please! Lets get real!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 17th July 2010 at 11:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast