Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Safety in 4x4's

G/day All

I have started this thread because ROAD SAFETY is a big concern of mine as im sure it is for others & the single most dangerous thing we do daily is drive a car.

The object here is to share our knowledge of driving 4x4's on our road cos as we would all agree thay are a lot different to driving a normal car.

So lets all pitch in & do our bit to help keep each other & other road users safe, & don't forget this information will be a great advantage for those new to 4x4's in general & may even save someones life one day so as I said PLEASE everyone pitch in.

Cheers
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A basic principal for wearing a seatbelt/child restraint unless you are legally excused.........Wear it from womb to tomb.

No seatbelt/child restraint, no ride.
    Last edited by DX grunt; 8th July 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Safety in WA

Here's a link to road safety in WA.

It's got a lot of good stuff in it.

Probably like where you live, the West has issues with driver fatigue, drink driving, non use of restraints and speeding, and using mobile phones when driving, hoon behaviour and.... and.... and..

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/TopicsRoadS...oadSafety.aspx

Please, take the time to read the link. A lot of the stuff is generic and will probably apply to you. Learner and P Plate drivers are now 0.000% BAC

Thanks.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Last edited by DX grunt; 8th July 2010 at 10:19 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fatigue's a big one.

I know myself spent many of hours on the road and just want to get home so you drive 20 hours straight.

Definatly not worth it, just pull over and have a sleep even just for an hour or so.

Even just stop for a coffee or a stretch.

Many years ago I drove straight from QLD down to Melbourne non stop and dozed off to find myself heading straight for the biggest gum tree around. Quickly hooked it back on the road which nearly rolled the 4x4.

Absolutely shat myself and from then on I just allow an extra night to stay somewhere regardless of being back on time for work, etc.

Nearlly killed myself and my best mate due to my actions.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minx View Post
    Fatigue's a big one.

I know myself spent many of hours on the road and just want to get home so you drive 20 hours straight.

Definatly not worth it, just pull over and have a sleep even just for an hour or so.

Even just stop for a coffee or a stretch.

Many years ago I drove straight from QLD down to Melbourne non stop and dozed off to find myself heading straight for the biggest gum tree around. Quickly hooked it back on the road which nearly rolled the 4x4.

Absolutely shat myself and from then on I just allow an extra night to stay somewhere regardless of being back on time for work, etc.

Nearlly killed myself and my best mate due to my actions.
    Thanks for being honest. I think most, if not all of us, have pushed it a bit too far some times.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't forget you 4x4 does not handle like you family car, slow down on corners and allow for the extra braking distance, if you have Mud Tyres it does not mean that you have better traction on wet bitumen (less surface area making contact with the road surface).
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok this does not paint us in a good light but im posting this link up because of its relevance to the thread.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/407...y-roads/#title

Road safety isn't just about us as 4x4 drivers it also about how other road users see us. As there fear could ultimately lead to our misfortune.

Now isn't that food for thought

Cheers
    Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I beg everyone to constantly assess their level of fatigue on a long trip.

I have to admit that on the trip home from Melbourne, I stopped at Colac to get lunch and thought I would be right to drive the rest of the way without a break.

Just after Warrnambool I started to do things I would normally avoid. After braking to wait for a truck to turn off the highway, I had a momentary lapse.

I drove the auto as if it was a manual (my Patrol is manual), and managed to dump it in neutral and then panicked and dumped it in reverse. I immediately pulled over. After berating myself for being so stupid, and after having a breather I continued the journey.

I was very fortunate that I didn't cause a serious accident.

Please beware, tiredness creeps up on you, like a stalking hunter.
    Last edited by mudnut; 10th January 2019 at 02:36 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (10th January 2019), MudRunnerTD (10th January 2019), mudski (10th January 2019), Plasnart (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I've done similar , know better and given the big kilometres we do on our trips we now stop and have regular breaks .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

mudnut (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK Mudnut, ante up... how did you stumble across an 8 1/2 year old thread... even Google wasn't invented back then... you using Win 92 OS and Netscape as a search engine or sumthin :-)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudnut (10th January 2019), Rossco (10th January 2019), rusty_nail (10th January 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast