Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD28 to intercool or not??

Hi guys and gals

I have a 1996 RD28 GQ with 142,000km on the clock. i have installed an EGT and blocked off the EGR and water temp gauge is going in in the next few weeks. Today I was talking to a mate and the subject of Intercooling the safari came up. I can get all the parts off a 2ltr Subaru so that is radiator and intercooler just need to get a water pump and hoses and get the intake manifold altered. Or I can twist the turbo around a little bit to save getting the manifold altered. I am planning on putting the intercooler on the right of the manifold (looking at the engine) and then moving the overflow bottle for the radiator to a new place. The radiator for the intercooler will be placed infront of the factory radiator. Has any one done this and had any luck/benefits? Any help will be great.

I will be sure to upload photos if i decide to go ahead with it.

thanks
    steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Steve,

I reckon somone out there has surely done successfully what what you're considering. My only advice of front mounting anything on older type cars are to be sure you're not hindering airflow to the actual already dated cooling system.

Spotties/winches/'inters' up front all do put pressure on the stock design and the ongoing domino effect begins :-( !

For sure, getting your 'inter' out front in the cool/clean air will work best, just might blow out costs down the track!

Cheers mate, good luck!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there I have a GQ 1997 rd28 and have fitted a GU top mount to it, I just used the GU inlet manifold, all the tubing hoses and intercoller. The only thing I had to do that was hard was cut down the tube from the turbo to the first elbow.
    With all that I never needed to change the turbo housing direction or do anything hard , it was not hard at all from start to finish and it all looks like Nissan fitted it from new.
    The only think was cutting the bonnet but all turned out well in the end.
    As far as EGT went from before to after was about 70c , never lost any boost or gave any turbo lag only thing is I don't have any pictures but can tack some and send them, I did block off the EGR at the same time I did the job and fitted up a oil catch can as well. Best of luck and will be happy to help with what ever I can cheers

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hopkins For This Useful Post:

AB (10th April 2016), boombox (11th April 2016), MB (10th April 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I did consider that as well but with the help of the secondary radiator up the front I should be fine (well I hope). This radiator is alot smaller than the factory one and will be mounted on the left almost directly inline with the intercooler. I am starting tomorrow. So ripping out everything that is in the way and removing the bull bar and bumper and grill, hope to have it all completed within 2 weeks but with only one arm been used at the moment it's going to be a struggle.

I did also consider using the parts off a GU but with these parts been available now and costing no where near what the Nissan parts will I'll go with these. Will also be installing a catch can at the same time. Every little thing helps.
    Last edited by boombox; 10th April 2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: forgot something

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    Hi there I have a GQ 1997 rd28 and have fitted a GU top mount to it, I just used the GU inlet manifold, all the tubing hoses and intercoller. The only thing I had to do that was hard was cut down the tube from the turbo to the first elbow.
    With all that I never needed to change the turbo housing direction or do anything hard , it was not hard at all from start to finish and it all looks like Nissan fitted it from new.
    The only think was cutting the bonnet but all turned out well in the end.
    As far as EGT went from before to after was about 70c , never lost any boost or gave any turbo lag only thing is I don't have any pictures but can tack some and send them, I did block off the EGR at the same time I did the job and fitted up a oil catch can as well. Best of luck and will be happy to help with what ever I can cheers
    Did you do any tuning your self? did you wind up the fuel or adjust the boost at all? If so can it be done at home?