Thread: Painting Parky's GQ with a Roller

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Parky's GQ with a Roller

Hi all

I'll be starting my paint job on the patrol shortly, but only a panel at a time using the rolled on paint method.(google it if you've never heard of it, you'll be impressed)

I'm just wondering how I go about removing the plastic strips that run along the bottom of the side doors. Are they clipped on or just glued?

Also, the window rubbers on the inside of the door frame, are these removable or will I have an aweful time trying to paint around these?

I will use this thread to update my progress and I'll post pictures for the curious ones, and I'll definitely be asking more questions about removing random items.

Cheers!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 14th December 2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Changed title

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't answer your questions, but for those who don't know here you go for an example of roller painting

Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Can't answer your questions, but for those who don't know here you go for an example of roller painting

That is Bloody Impressive!!!

I will watch this thread with interest. If you want me to i will change the thread name to "Roll On Paint job" or something like that if you are going to build this thread as a How to thread? Looking good mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

opinion (15th January 2014), Parksy (14th December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad idea MR, I'd like that. Thanks!

Started on the bonnet...
    Apparently the trick is to roll the paint on very thinly after you've diluted the paint about 50-50. I've used gloss black polyurethane enamel and diluted it with enamel thinners and penetrol. Has a consistency of about milk.

Bonnet had a few small dents but that was sorted. Ran across the entire bonnet with an electric sander which made a lot of dust...

So I took it outside and hosed it down as well as wet sanded with some 600 grit. The usual body prep applies...

This is the first coat applied. I'm not sure if I've gone too thick at the back of the bonnet or too thin at the front, but there is an obvious difference when you look closely. My biggest fear was orange peel, but fortunately not much has come up. I'll let this dry for half the day or more and will then wet sand it and apply another coat...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

Stropp (13th December 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is used on boats these days when they are been painted on a slip way , comes up a treat and gets around s bunch of environmental laws
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parksy View Post
    Not a bad idea MR, I'd like that. Thanks!

Started on the bonnet...
    Apparently the trick is to roll the paint on very thinly after you've diluted the paint about 50-50. I've used gloss black polyurethane enamel and diluted it with enamel thinners and penetrol. Has a consistency of about milk.
    Have you watched that video link? its bloody good if you have not mate. he shows and easy way to gauge the viscosity you need, he goes through the rubbing, type of paper, the orange peel etc. 6 minutes very very well spent mate. he even shows how to apply it. (Not what i would have done!)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Dirtydog16 (17th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes have watched the video. It's interesting how he doesn't wet sand between each coats, instead puts down 2 layers then gives it a wet sand.
    Here's a good forum dedicated to rolling paint. Lots of good information.
    http://rolledon.forummotion.com

As it stands, the patrols bonnet has 2 coats and I'll give it a wet sand tomorrow morning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th December 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now thats cool.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things I've learnt today. I used wax and grease remover on the bonnet several times before applying paint, but still got fish eyes appearing. After giving the bonnet a wet sand this morning i used thinners followed by isopropyl alcohol and wiped the bonnet thoroughly and had much better adhesion.
    Use a block when wet sanding. It's easier on the hands and will give a more uniform finish.

Penetrol does a great job of giving a nice finish, but does make the paint take a lot longer to dry. I tried a 50-50 mix today of just paint and thinners, and the paint does dry quicker, but the finish is not as nice. With the rolling it does create a lot of bubbles like in the video above, and this does make the whole process abit more difficult. Tried the hair dryer method but found this just made the paint dry quicker before the paint had a chance to self level. The penetrol did a good job of self leveling and the bubbles did just pop on their own. Will correct it in the morning with a wet sand and continue with the paint/penetrol/thinners mix.

Hoping the weather is nicer tomorrow so I can take some outside pics just to see how it's looking in the light. 4 coats at the moment and coverage is starting to look good!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

daypatrol (15th December 2013), MudRunnerTD (14th December 2013), Stropp (14th December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coat number 5.

Still lots of tiny imperfections and orange peel, but appearing to get better with each coat. It's raining today so no outside pics unfortunately.

Edit: rain has stopped, quick snap shot.
    Last edited by Parksy; 15th December 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast