Thread: wiring up egt help

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wiring up egt help

So, close to putting n new engine, but few jobs to do before hand, i have a egt and boost gauge to put in (luckily the engines out as i cant get the exhaust off so have to weld whilst its in there), now i have the understanding of where and how to do the probe, quick question on this though, where do people run the probe line along in the engine, i was thinking along the firewall, and do people put a cable cover over it?

now in terms of wiring the damn thing, this is what i bought http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PYRO-EGT-...sAAMXQVT9SsjN8

the instructions are terrible, to the point, on the probe i have blue wire and a white wire, on the gauge i dont have a blue wire yet the instructions state BLUE - CONNECT TO SENSOR BLUE, so there is problem 1. i have a set of 2 wire cluster, red and black, which i am assuming is power source and earth, then i have a cluster of 4 wires red, black, white and green.my guess here is,
    Red for ignition
    Black for battery negative (or another earth)
    Green is for the blue
    and white for the white

if anyone can shed some light on this with the vague info i have written, would appreciate muchly.

Cheers
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the red/blacks may be for the instrument lighting.

Something is a tad odd about the colour codes for the Pyro
    Green/White is usually for 1200 degrees K type thermocouple which makes sense as the gauge is a 1200 degree instrument (ideal for pre-turbo and OK for post Turbo)
    Most people use a a J type thermocouple for post turbo which is 750 degrees but the colour code is usually White/Red
    Blue/White is usually for an S or T type and not a colour code normally associated with J or K type.
    But.......
    There are a heap of different colour standards depending on country of origin of the thermocouples so maybe a question for the seller?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule of thumb for thermocouple colour code:
    The darker colour is positive unless it is red, then it is negative.
    Connect up the probe, drop the probe in boiling water, an electric kettle won't shut off if the lid is open, it should read 100C.
    Type K is the most common on thermometers & multimeters, it can be: green (+) & white(-), or Red(-) & yellow(+).
    Graham

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (9th April 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, good rule of thumb for sure... the jap standard J type the Red is positive but no biggee

The boiling water idea might help on J type but is outside the range of K type.
    A multimeter might help but the difference will only be about 2 or 3 mV so would need a good one.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have tried contacting the seller, but no response.
    all i could find was red to ignition
    black to battery negative
    blue (which i will assume is the green) to sensor
    white to sensor

so will now think the red in the 2 cluster is batter positive (though i unsure why there would be two wires for power, being ignition and battery direct) and the black to the frame somewhere nearby for ground.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lovejones View Post
    have tried contacting the seller, but no response.
    all i could find was red to ignition
    black to battery negative
    blue (which i will assume is the green) to sensor
    white to sensor

so will now think the red in the 2 cluster is batter positive (though i unsure why there would be two wires for power, being ignition and battery direct) and the black to the frame somewhere nearby for ground.
    As prev posted... does the gauge have lighting?
    If so there is a better than 50 chance that will be the other red

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yer sure does, i hooked it upto a battery with just red and black pair and light comes on. tried with the red and black in cluster of four and nothing happened, so guessing the 2 reds are power 1 black negative, one black earth, the other two connecting to the probe.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yep, good rule of thumb for sure... the jap standard J type the Red is positive but no biggee

The boiling water idea might help on J type but is outside the range of K type.
    A multimeter might help but the difference will only be about 2 or 3 mV so would need a good one.
    You seem to know about the thermocouples ET (and every other electrical thing), so I've got a quick one for ya here instead of starting a new thread...

I've had this little numerical EGT readout thingamajig for a while. It reads K type thermocouples... My existing Redarc setup is K type.
    If I hooked up the numerical one in parallel (spliced into the red and yellow wires), would it work ? I'd like to have a numerical readout of EGT's along side of my Redarc gauge.
    The numerical unit has a calibrate function on it too so it has some adjusting capability.
    Photos below are of the unit, it's description and a snippet from redarcs specs of the Thermocouple currently in my dump pipe.

Sorry about hijacking the topic slightly lovejones.

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Uummmm... depends on a couple of things but usually works OK (in the ranges and accuracy we are interested in anyway).

Dont 'splice' into the Thermocouple wires.
    Just try connecting from the terminals of the existing gauge to the K+ and K- of the digital gauge.
    Use light gauge copper wire not thermocouple wire to go from the existing EGT gauge to the Digital one (pins 3 and 4).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th April 2016)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks ET. When I said splice (bad terminology on my behalf) I really meant just piggy back it into the current thermocouple plug together with the thermocouple wires already existing . Rough drawing below. I already got some very low profile copper wiring ready to go.

2005 TD42TI