Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Threedogs motor thread

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wish I had the dough to come up and help you, as I have the time to do so, next week, when everyone is back to look after our animals.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

threedogs (7th April 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    What does "holding residual pressure for a while after shut down" mean? Coolant not being sucked back into radiator as motor cools down?
    Hate to say it but I also think it's sounding like either a cracked head or a cylinder head gasket blowing between cylinders. Given that it runs ok for 20kms or so before playing up I'd guess that the cracked cylinder head is more likely.
    Heya Cuppa. Yeah the coolant won't return from the overflow and the pressure shifts a bit (depending on how bad the problem is) of the coolant out and away via the overflow reservoir.
    Mine is doing it at the moment. I ease the pressure of a morning by bleeding the top of the far column (triple flow radiator) and gently cracking the cap.
    I found I don't need to replace any coolant as it settled in about 1/2 way in the top tank. Just ease pressure and motor sensibly.
    New head gasket next week will return all to normal.

3D i hope this is all your problem is bloke, you got enough going on without major engine issues.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

threedogs (7th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I wish I had the dough to come up and help you, as I have the time to do so, next week, when everyone is back to look after our animals.
    How much dosh would it take ?
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it’s often said that a blown a head gasket means a new motor, maybe it’s correct, but it sounds pretty extreme to me.
    I don’t undertand why the labour to remove & replace a cylinder head would cost more than replacing a complete motor (along with all it’s ancillaries)?
    Is this specifically a 3 litre Patrol thing?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (30th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Easy trick for you to do which you do when you bleed the cooling system. Stick the coke bottle in with enough fluid in it so you can see it. If you get lots of bubbles continuously, even little ones, the something is gone whether its the head or gasket.

A good mate of mine runs a shop. Last quote i got off him to do a head on a zd30 patrol was 2200. So not motor replacement money. This was a retail quoate as well it wasnt for me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (7th April 2016), taslucas (7th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't want to piss you off TD, but you have given advice to about everyone on this forum about every single issue to do with Patrols. What is the problem solving this one?
    I really thought you know your shit but I seem to think otherwise.

If it is just help you're after with lifting/removing/moving/installing then I am more than confident people will jump in and help. This is what this forum is all about.

Just seems strange someone in your knowhow is struggling figuring this one out.

Wish I could help mate but I'm just a Patrol driver not an expert.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

macca (7th April 2016), rusty_nail (17th April 2016), taslucas (7th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    snip...
    ATM I think Ive clogged the system with head repair goo.
    Hmmm... wouldn't be the first time that has happended.

I'd be more suspicious of that and what Cuppa and others have said rather than fans etc
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th April 2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Easy trick for you to do which you do when you bleed the cooling system. Stick the coke bottle in with enough fluid in it so you can see it. If you get lots of bubbles continuously, even little ones, the something is gone whether its the head or gasket.
    When my family friends CRD went ass over tits, I was there when the mechanic done exactly this. They knew the motor was gone, but just wanted to prove a point. I remember you could actually smell exhaust fumes coming out of the coolant at the radiator as bubbles.
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Im not to mobile atm need to pic the time when Im feeling ok,
    thanks Winnie makes me feel better. First job will be to remove and clean
    the radiator and replace the thermostat
    Im a big fan of doing one thing at a time so Ill know what exactly is the problem
    How are you going to clean the radiator? Id be taking it to a professional and get the tanks removed and the core properly cleaned. Otherwise you will be just wasting your time i reckon.
    Looks to me he car just needs a good cooling overhaul.
    We hope....
    Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 7th April 2016 at 10:03 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post

A good mate of mine runs a shop. Last quote i got off him to do a head on a zd30 patrol was 2200. So not motor replacement money. This was a retail quoate as well it wasnt for me.
    Yeah i have a 2ltr coke bottle cut in half with electrical tape wrapped around the neck so it sits tight in the rad. Works a treat this one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast