Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking at some new tyres

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure how you guys approach tyres. But Mr Ni$$an says for my vehicle a minimum of 275/65R17 114H tyres.

Now I could go to Coopers or other tyres but most have a load/speed rating of 115S.
    Legally an S rating is not high enough for most patrols

Price was not an issue with my decision. Load and speed rating was the main issue.

Note an S tyre has a speed of 180km/h for the max load 1215 kg per tyre.
    A tyre with H rating has a speed of 210 km/h and using a load rating of 115 = 1250 kg per tyre.
    Hence the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G012 - 275/65R17 115H tyre is better from my perspective.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    I am not sure how you guys approach tyres. But Mr Ni$$an says for my vehicle a minimum of 275/65R17 114H tyres.

Now I could go to Coopers or other tyres but most have a load/speed rating of 115S.
    Legally an S rating is not high enough for most patrols

Price was not an issue with my decision. Load and speed rating was the main issue.

Note an S tyre has a speed of 180km/h for the max load 1215 kg per tyre.
    A tyre with H rating has a speed of 210 km/h and using a load rating of 115 = 1250 kg per tyre.
    Hence the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G012 - 275/65R17 115H tyre is better from my perspective.
    Can't say I've done 210km/h let alone 180km/h so meh.....
    My tyres are rated 126Q - 160 km/h with 1700 kg per tyre.

Can't see myself getting much past 130km/h when overtaking.

Also doing quick research it seems 4x4 have no requirement to maintain the minimum speed rating as per tyre placards. ADR apparently state minimum speed rating for 4x4 is N (140km/h). Must comply with load rating though and maximum size etc.

Here's an extract from coopers website, I couldn't be bothered doing an ADR search.... feel free to verify or disprove as required.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres-...speed-ratings/

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Thats a ripper deal, who's a happy Sooty
    Not a super happy Sooty now....

Went in to get the tyres fitted and the sales chick looks up a catalogue to check if there is white lettering on my tyres for fitting etc.
    I look at her a bit funny and say is that a coopers catalogue? Why yes she replies 😠 I then told her in polite terms I ordered Mickey T's, and never even looked at coopers. She tries to tell me well the order code is definitely coopers. Ahhh.....well guess you ordered the wrong bloody tyres.
    Turns out the Mickeys are $357 ea 😣 and not $310.

Apparently she mustn't have know the difference between MT atz P3 and cooper at3 when I was in there ordering.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    Not a super happy Sooty now....

Went in to get the tyres fitted and the sales chick looks up a catalogue to check if there is white lettering on my tyres for fitting etc.
    I look at her a bit funny and say is that a coopers catalogue? Why yes she replies 😠 I then told her in polite terms I ordered Mickey T's, and never even looked at coopers. She tries to tell me well the order code is definitely coopers. Ahhh.....well guess you ordered the wrong bloody tyres.
    Turns out the Mickeys are $357 ea 😣 and not $310.

Apparently she mustn't have know the difference between MT atz P3 and cooper at3 when I was in there ordering.

sooty_10 Did you get a quote for the MT ATZ P3's on the MT web site? If you didn't do it now and they will send you a quote. Once you get you tyres fitted email the receipt to info@mickeythompsontires.com.au and they will send you out a promo pack ( hat,pen,stubbie cooler & a spare wheel cover) It doesn't matter if you get the tyres cheeper than the price that they quote you. I got the ATZ P3's 285/75/16's (paid $365 from Tyrepower) a couple of months ago and love them.
    Paul.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread bump due 2 bushnbash's post going into moderation.

bushnbash, an intro in the intro thread ( which can be found in my signature ) would be nice that's if you own a Patrol.

Cheers

Toddie
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Woof (21st April 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all,
    I've been using Kelly AWR's (or equivalent) for years on a GQ and now a GU.
    Dunno if they're sexy or not and they're certainly NOT the intergalactic offroad, mud, rock, sand you name it all round champion tread but they've pulled 2 tons on tar and bad dirt tracks and got us up the odd rocky creek etc. etc..
    Around 80K. each time so I just go back and get them again when needed. Being an old fart though, I do treat my tyres with a bit of care as far as driving goes so maybe these aren't the answer for any macho approach. Don't think there's any option though but to meet the legislated requirements regardless of preferences.
    Suspect that with treads, it's a case of every man for himself first and advice from others MIGHT help.
    Luck,
    Col

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Col.T For This Useful Post:

jay see (22nd April 2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123