OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VIC - Campers and homeowners banned from collecting FIREWOOD in NP and public lands

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Has always been illegal to collect firewood in vic national parks. The murray ban is new and probably fair if you look at with an open mind. The forest floors there are clean as a whistle. I heard a representative of the firewood industry explaining on radio the other day that licenced collectors must leave the area theyre harvesting in covered in debris. It looks messy but is good for the habitat.
    Who told you that forest floors there are clean as a whistle, I call that BS. Red Gums have shallow roots and due to the bush now being flooded every year the old ones just fall over, Red Gums also drop large limbs often
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    As soon as summer arrives there is a total fire ban across the river for the whole of summer.[NSW]
    seems a bit odd as we on the Vic side were having huge bon fires.
    I dont mind cooking with gas and and sitting around in some form of 12v lights
    but it seems un fair not to be able to light a fire at your camp imo.
    Now all the Servos will ask a fortune for a small bag of timber.
    20kg for $12 at Bunnings may be the way of the future and you get
    a neat bag to store your camp oven in to boot.
    Might have to shoot Janderson a Pm about where to get some timber lol

Lisa Neville MP
    30 March at 21:13 ·
    There is no ban on firewood collection from public land in Victoria.
    This about putting locals first and we make no apology for that.
    In north Victoria, where supplies are running out, local residents and concession card holders will have priority access to free firewood.
    We are working to ensure that people who rely on firewood continue to have access to this fuel for heating and cooking this winter and beyond.
    We are also working with the local community through information sessions. One has already been held in Nathalia and additional sessions are planned for Shepparton and Mildura.
    Further to this, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) has also commenced the Northern Victoria Firewood and Home Heating Project (NVFHHP) which aims to work with communities to identify energy sources other than red gum firewood.
    Residents in the River Red Gum areas who are reliant on firewood for heating or cooking are encouraged to contact DELWP at NVFHHProject@delwp.vic.gov.au.
    This is only an issue for communities along the Murray and Goulburn. Other regions are not affected.
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janderson View Post
    You are very wrong. In the Barmah National Park and along the river there is plenty of fallen wood. Up here we only have wood for heating and a lot still cook and heat water with it. In the country electricity is to expensive (we pay a higher price than those in the city's). We don't have Natural Gas. Bottle Gas is also expensive. Around $130 45 liter bottle. In the city a pensioner gets a discount with every gas bill for gas used. Pensioners in the country do not get a rebate on Gas until they have bought 3 bottle. So we pay in advanced before we get the rebate were in city's its after it is used. Even with the rebate it's still a lot more expensive. So for us in the country we use wood for heating and a lot of people even depend on it to cook. This has been happening for 100's of years and our life span is still increasing.
    Go back...
    Read the Article...
    Read the replies here in the context of the Article...
    Apply comprehensions skills...
    Post reply in same context...
    Informed logical debate continues...
    Oh, wait, it's the Internet, disregard the above.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (11th April 2016), taslucas (4th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no idea about the rules in tassie and I doubt there are any areas where collection (for camping) is banned but I do know that the more popular the area, then the further you need to go to get wood. So I agree that the above would be a good idea. Unfortunately the rate at which timber naturally falls on the ground is slower than the rate popular camp sites burn through it.

>>>tappin from tassie
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this explains the situation.
    Barmah National Park is 70,000-acre, Established‎ in 2010. Before this it was a State Park used by many including the bush workers that installed and maintained the tracks, bridge's ect. When National Parkes took it from the community's that live along the boundary we were promised that we would always have access to firewood for domestic use. The Park was taken over with only 3 years of funding. Now there's no money left so there is now no maintenance to tracks or infrastructure. Tracks gone to being overgrown, bridge's pulled out or fallen down ect.
    Earlier this year we had a fire in the NP. The CFA, DELWP & sParks Vic were unable to reach it due to fallen trees ect on the tracks. All they could do was watch it until the morning when they finally found a bulldozer to clear the tracks. Lucky for us a creek stoped it from spreading to far, however we lost many old gums.
    Now as for no wood in there. No, not much where people camp as they are allowed to collect firewood from any ware at any time. The areas that don't have many campers there is plenty. If you go deep in to the bush there is an abundance laying about. Last Autumn I cut my 16 cubic meters of one fallen tree. But had 3 muddy creek crossing to get to it. Visitors and Campers don't go to these areas.
    Don't forget the local's now more about the bush that anyone, we also know many areas that visitors will never find. How many know of the hut and where it is? Even the Rangers don't know about it.
    Each year we have an Autumn and a Spring domestic food season. Normally for 3 months but for the last few years this have been reduced. One Spring we only had 1 month. We are only allowed to collect a maxim of 16 cubic meters per household per year. We are also restricted to 2 meters per trip/day. We are designated an area that we are only allowed to use. I live 1km from the NP but in 13 years my minim travel has been 60km return. The current wood coup is 100km return.
    Up here we only have wood for heating and a lot still cook and heat water with it. In the country electricity is to expensive (we pay a higher price than those in the city's). We don't have Natural Gas. Bottle Gas is also expensive. Around $130 45 litre bottle. In the city a pensioner gets a discount with every gas bill for gas used. Pensioners in the country do not get a rebate on Gas until they have bought 3 bottle. So we pay in advanced before we get the rebate were in city's its after it is used. Even with the rebate it's still a lot more expensive. So for us in the country we use wood for heating and a lot of people even depend on it to cook.
    Last edited by janderson; 4th April 2016 at 08:23 PM.
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janderson For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (4th April 2016), mudnut (4th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Where I go at Dave's Camp on the Murray close to Bearii there has always been fallen timber to
    retrieve and burn. Sometimes a clown will cut down a Living tree for next time but not often and not us.
    I've been going here for over 10 years so far and as I said there is always fallen timber thats dead
    and burns very well indeed, You can even hear them fall during the day and night, very loud lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 4th April 2016 at 04:11 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

10. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

janderson (4th April 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Sheep Yards Flat is a good eg, there is not a twig
    or tree root within 5 K of this Iconic camp ground.
    This particular trip while stopping for a toilet break.
    we decided to fill my trailer with any wood along the way.
    Very glad we did to
    Just gotta look better. Never had an issue there. Most people don't look too far from the road I find. I found this last week at Dargo. There was a few other campers nearby, they all took off with a trailer to get wood. An hour later they were back with some, not a lot though. They said to me that because it was busy of the easter weekend its harder to find. I just grabbed my chainsaw, walked across the road and up the hill not even 50 meters and there was oodles of wood to be cut. Dragged back a few long lengths t camp, cut them up and I was set.
    Never heard of the ban in Vic National Parks though.
    My last trip up Cobram way there was so much dead wood around I can see it being a real fire risk during summer. Like this property I looked at near AB's. Bloody beautiful area, awesome house. But.One of their rules was you wern't allowed to collect any fallen or dead wood from the ground. The amount of wood on the ground was astonishing and my first thought was the fire season. We would spend half the season living somewhere else in fear of being natures marsh mellow. No thanks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

janderson (5th April 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All taken between Haynes Rd (Sharps Gate) & Black Engine Track which is a popular camping area along the Murray.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDNy...ature=youtu.be
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No wonder I like going up there, I have a great fishing honey hole along
    Haynes RD
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

15. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

janderson (10th April 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janderson View Post
    All taken between Haynes Rd (Sharps Gate) & Black Engine Track which is a popular camping area along the Murray.
    How much for Delivery 2 Sydney Jeff *L*
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

janderson (10th April 2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast