Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Average Transmission temp

Gents
    I contacted scangauge to get info on getting tranny temp on my scangauge I received an email saying they will send me a new gauge with all new updated firmware with the tranny temp engine oil temp ,, and a few others at this stage I have no idea what they are used for
    So the question is what is a good temp range for a auto gearbox in a gu 2013
    It looks like engine temp has issues as it states 50'c and hasn't moved but the tranny is around 125' but not sure if it's reading in Fahrenheit ?? But it defiantly is reading something ?
    I'm quite surprised I scored a free scangauge2 now I have 2
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That 125 degree reading may well be in fahrenheit,
    Usually most gauges are meant to read at half of whats
    available, in other words straight up and down
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's 125 f then that's good. Cold actually. If it's 125 c you need to either adjust your driving style or have your auto checked. 125 isn't going to kill your auto but it's getting up there.

For the record my auto will usually sit around 90deg C measured from the oil coming out of the torque converter (hottest part)
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should aim for 80 deg C mate after that the ATF starts to break down rapidly they say for every 10 deg C over 80 deg it halfs the life of the ATF
    Good read here on autos http://www.thetransmissioncentre.com...l-information/
    Sorry it every 15 deg C over 80 deg
    Last edited by Kimbo63; 30th March 2016 at 05:02 PM.
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well driven around a bit to and from work this morning cold read 147 f? C? the bloke in America that programmed it said it is all testing at the moment and no guarantee it's going to work,,,, I'm a bit seceptical that it's reading right but a free scangauge is not to bad I suppose
    Improvise Overcome And Adapt To The Situation At Hand

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhurley View Post

For the record my auto will usually sit around 90deg C measured from the oil coming out of the torque converter (hottest part)
    Is that 90°c at highway driving or around town? I can get mine to sit at around 90°c on highway but around town after half hour driving (in other words full operating temp) it fluctuates between 100 to 125. And that is measured coming out of TC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    Is that 90°c at highway driving or around town? I can get mine to sit at around 90°c on highway but around town after half hour driving (in other words full operating temp) it fluctuates between 100 to 125. And that is measured coming out of TC.
    Highway usually sits around 80-90 around town it's about 10 deg higher. The hottest I have ever seen it get since fitting a gauge 2 years ago is 110. And that was dead of summer 40deg days middle of the day.

I drive around town with overdrive OFF up until around 80-90km/h. Highway speeds I will coast with OD ON but then turn OD OFF when going up hills/overtaking.

I should note I have a manual radiator and my auto cooler is an aftermarket one that's about A4 paper size. Also my auto only has about 45-50k on it. Was rebuilt 2 years ago by the guys that wrote that article linked a few posts above.
    1999 GU DUAL FUEL 4.5 - 2" OME - 33's KM2s - SNORKEL - CUSTOM DINTS.... Goes by the name Candy (the car not me )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory trans cooler on the TB45E is really small and struggles to keep temps under 100C in traffic on hot days.
    The ZD30 factory cooler is over twice the size.
    I mounted a big Davies Craig cooler in series with the factory cooler and I now rarely see as high as 90 in traffic.
    On the highway with TC manually locked I get temps between 60 - 70

I have the temp sensor on the trans outlet banjo so I get hottest reading.
    Using synthetic fluid lessens the risk when temps rise.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body