Quote Originally Posted by pjhsv View Post
Sooooooo......

Got my engine replaced. Drove August -> November, then on the freeway at 100km/h, car loses power and starts making a pretty loud noise. Pulled over.
Sounded like bottom end noise (very very loud banging at idle). Turned it off and got it towed back to the engine builder.

So the engine builder looks at it, and turns out the crank broke in half. He said it was because the guys who fitted the engine didn't fit the clutch properly. He fixed it for free anyway. I got him to put in a new clutch at the same time.

Fast forward to Australia Day weekend. Drove to Albury and back. Car didn't miss a beat. Next morning, went to drive it, and car started making same noise as before - towed to engine builder again. Another broken crank. He tried to blame my driving style (which kind of pissed me off, but whatever), anyway, changed the whole bottom end. Hoping it was a dodgy block with a crank journal misaligned. He replaced it again for free....hopefully it's done and dusted now. Biggest issue is I want to do a Simpson trip - I'm not sure I have confidence in the car at this stage to do that. If I broke a crank in the middle of The Simpson, I'd be up for a truckload of cash.....

That is definitely out of the ordinary ..... don't usually hear of broken crankshafts on these