Thread: Intercooler/Pyro gauge advice

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intercooler/Pyro gauge advice

G'day I'm looking to get myself some boost/pyro gauges, can I hook up the pyro to my standard exhaust if I'm keeping it for the time being? Would it just be a case of getting an exhaust place to put a probe fitting in the existing exhaust?
    I have also done an external inspection of the standard IC. There is definately some oily black residue coming out where the crimping join is on one end & underneath. The leaking doesn't seem huge but still evident. How urgent is replacing it?
    After looking into a replacement IC I read about Tube & Fin or Bar & Plate cores. Are either of these better or worse than the other? I am only after a standard size replacement as I don't have the $1200 to only throw at an upgrade. Any advice on what I should be looking for?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the pyro you should really be getting a welded thread to the dump pipe so it's as close as possible to the turbo for accurate readings but you can DIY easily buy a probe with a clamp and ceramic washer and just drill a hole just after the dump pipe on the exhaust.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    With the pyro you should really be getting a welded thread to the dump pipe so it's as close as possible to the turbo for accurate readings but you can DIY easily buy a probe with a clamp and ceramic washer and just drill a hole just after the dump pipe on the exhaust.
    Thanks AB, might look into getting the welded thread done.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetrol View Post
    Thanks AB, might look into getting the welded thread done.
    I've actually still got my clamp and ceramic fixing going to be honest. Still holding strong after so many years but...

But yes, do things properly mate.

As for your IC issue, I would put a new thread up just about that so people can see it better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Firetrol, what year is yours and do you have AC?
    If you have AirCon, then forget a welded bung, you'll never get in there past the heat shield with all the pipe work to get to the mandrel bend off the back of the turbo.
    This is what I did and it works, especially if you want to keep your exhaust for the time being.
    You have to drill a 40mm hole in the heat shield to reveal the right spot just on the mandrel bend from the rear of the turbo, use a hole saw to do this. There should be enough clearance between heat shield and actual exhaust bend to do this and not damage the exhaust bend. Now you can see the bend exiting the turbo, choose a point on the bend to drill a (9mm) hole as square to the pipe as you can, be brave and go for it. My pyro has a digital gauge and came with a tapered compression fitting bush to take the probe which required an 1/8 thread tapped into the bend. To my surprise, the bend is quite thick walled and takes a tapped thread very well and therefore a welded bush in this case is overkill and certainly not possible to do on the vehicle. Because the bush is tapered, it makes a perfect gas tight seal when pinched up.
    So...tools
    40mm hole saw and pilot
    9mm HSS drill bit
    1/8 male tap bit and lube
    I'll take some pics tomorrow to help this all make more sense...
    Davey Boy
    Last edited by Daveyboyjunior; 28th March 2016 at 10:08 AM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Daveyboyjunior, mine is a 2010 with aircon. Thanks for your instructions & the photo's will definately help to paint the picture.
    I haven't decided nor ordered my gauges as yet but they are next on the priority list depending on the longevity of my intercooler.
    Your method sounds pretty good to me, I think I'll put it in as my no.1 option.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your intercooler "should be replaced" yes - but

always a "but"

as you are already driving it, and it is already leaking - another couple of weeks is not going to do any damage
    best to get the EGT / Boost gauges in, then change the IC, then you will see the difference, as well as feel it

just my 0.02c worth
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would be putting the IC as first of things to do, your exhaust bung should be about 100mm after the turbo,
    which puts it right on the bend of the dump pipe, The heat sheild will be a PITA to remove. might be better
    talking to an exhaust shop about doing it ,unless of course you can do it yourself,,, by a centigrade gauge too
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get the pics up today you'll see my tapping is right where TD has said. It's a good point actually because any further away from the turbo, your readings won't be the same as everybody else's.
    It's a good thing to do exactly the same as the other guys on here have done as regards boost and pyro, because the readings from the gauges you install will compare easily with others should you need further help and advice.
    BTW my exhaust shop wouldn't even look at doing the front part of the exhaust because of the limited access in there. I would have had a welded bung done at the time otherwise.
    Last edited by Daveyboyjunior; 28th March 2016 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboyjunior View Post
    BTW my exhaust shop wouldn't even look at doing the front part of the exhaust because of the limited access in there. I would have had a welded bung done at the time otherwise.
    when I went to my local exhaust place, he said he would do it, but it would cost (mine is a TD42)

he takes the dump pipe off, then welds it, then re-fits it

dollars $$$$$$$$$$$$ are always a factor
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast